Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

Buddy Nix will never draft an OG period. His philosophy is to draft T's and convert them to G's, if they dont work out as tackles. I'm not sure Nix has drafted one OG since hes been with the team. If you remember Mark Asper was viewed more as a C by the Bills when he was drafted. You might be able to get Justin Pugh from Syracuse in the 2nd round who has the ability to play tackle.or guard, and probably wouldnt be much of a dropoff from Warmack. If we're to take Buddy at his word, which I do, theres virtually no chance a G will be considered with the 8th pick.

Did you see justin pugk play at the senior bowl? O-lay all day against college pass rushers.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after reading what Mayock has to say about him, and NFLdraftscout.com. Some stuff from the latter.

''Alabama coach Nick Saban said Warmack's skills make him a good bet as a high pick at a position that produces relatively few first-rounders. ''I just think that Chance has unique skill set and he's got really good size,'' Saban said. ''He's very powerful, he's athletic, he's got good feet, he can pass block and he can get moving in the run game. I think people that have his kind of balance and body control and the kind of athleticism that he has at his size are rare commodities. Everybody knows that those guys play 12, 14, 15 years. I think Chance has a chance to have that kind of career.'' - AP Sports

"COMPARES TO: Will Shields, OG, Kansas City Chiefs -- Let's be clear, no incoming rookie truly deserves comparison to a first ballot Hall of Famer, but Warmack is a rare prospect. While perhaps a tad shorter than ideal, Warmack uses his natural leverage advantage to consistently get under the pads of his opponents, driving them off of the ball in the running game and anchoring in pass protection. His lateral agility and balance make him effective getting to and blocking at the second level and handling quicker pass rushers, as well. "

The players you mentioned aren't getting praise like this. Plus Jordan already has had medical issues. EJ Manuel doesn't even have a first round grade by the majority of draft sites. Ansah has some noted risk factor as do all the players you mentioned. From everything I've read it doesn't get any better then Chance Warmack.

Over the 30+ years I've been reading about football players (PFW subscription prior to the internet) and the grades they are given. When I read about a player who's grade is this high, those players usually are very successful in the NFL

Dude, no one is disputing that Chance Warmack is a seriously good OG at the college level and will probably do some damage as a pro. However, Buddy Nix is the GM and picking this guy #8 simply doesn't jive with either his philosophy or draft record. I too am very disappointed with this team's direction, but if you are going to play the role of odds maker in the draft you have to look no further than, who is picking these guys, what is their philosophy, and how consistent are they in following these alleged philosophies. At this point in time for me, Nix is an open book and is quite predictable. He will be looking for an impact player with prototypical size and speed that can make big plays to either score points or flip field position. That narrows it down to QB, WR, RB, TE, CB, DL, 3-4 style OLB. Out of those positions, who is there at 8 that is the lowest risk with the highest upside. Somehow I feel like the pass rush will be addressed in the first.

Dude, no one is disputing that Chance Warmack is a seriously good OG at the college level and will probably do some damage as a pro. However, Buddy Nix is the GM and picking this guy #8 simply doesn't jive with either his philosophy or draft record. I too am very disappointed with this team's direction, but if you are going to play the role of odds maker in the draft you have to look no further than, who is picking these guys, what is their philosophy, and how consistent are they in following these alleged philosophies. At this point in time for me, Nix is an open book and is quite predictable. He will be looking for an impact player with prototypical size and speed that can make big plays to either score points or flip field position. That narrows it down to QB, WR, RB, TE, CB, DL, 3-4 style OLB. Out of those positions, who is there at 8 that is the lowest risk with the highest upside. Somehow I feel like the pass rush will be addressed in the first.

You are right, in grading Buddy Nix as he is very predictable.

I expect that Nix will not trade down at all, and then draft a very average DB or OLB at #8 (Dee Milliner / Jarvis Jones anyone?), and might get lucky again in the second round like last year and take a QB that the Bills like. ( Nassib, Barkley, Wilson) Depending upon which QB falls to them.

I yearn for the days of Norm Pollom, Bill Polian, John Butler when the scouting dept knew what they were doing, and built a solid playoff bound team.

P.S. I can only hope that like Chan Gailey in his first draft with his "water-bug" pick in CJ Spiller, that former Saints O line coach recognizes the need to build that O line / offense more to sustain a dominate run game.

You are right, in grading Buddy Nix as he is very predictable.

I expect that Nix will not trade down at all, and then draft a very average DB or OLB at #8 (Dee Milliner / Jarvis Jones anyone?), and might get lucky again in the second round like last year and take a QB that the Bills like. ( Nassib, Barkley, Wilson) Depending upon which QB falls to them.

I yearn for the days of Norm Pollom, Bill Polian, John Butler when the scouting dept knew what they were doing, and built a solid playoff bound team.

P.S. I can only hope that like Chan Gailey in his first draft with his "water-bug" pick in CJ Spiller, that former Saints O line coach recognizes the need to build that O line / offense more to sustain a dominate run game.

I tried to point this out in another post...And I'm not defending Buddy either because I think Buddy sucks...But anyway, not Drafting OG's high is certainly NOT a Buddy Nix exclusive philosophy...Davis DeCastro went #24 overall last year after being touted by some scouts as the best player in the entire Draft not named Luck...OG is generally viewed as a position where you get better value in the 2nd Round and on ...It's like Daniel Jeremiah said yesterday...While he was a Scout for Baltimore in 2007 they Drafted OG Ben Grubbs in the 1st Round and he turned out to be a pretty good OG...But the same year the Raven Drafted OG Marshal Yanda in the 3rd Round, and he turned out to be even better than Grubbs...So...They're OG's...You can find very good ones later in the Draft...There is zero need to Draft one high...And most GM's understand that... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I tried to point this out in another post...And I'm not defending Buddy either because I think Buddy sucks...But anyway, not Drafting OG's high is certainly NOT a Buddy Nix exclusive philosophy...Davis DeCastro went #24 overall last year after being touted by some scouts as the best player in the entire Draft not named Luck...OG is generally viewed as a position where you get better value in the 2nd Round and on ...It's like Daniel Jeremiah said yesterday...While he was a Scout for Baltimore in 2007 they Drafted OG Ben Grubbs in the 1st Round and he turned out to be a pretty good OG...But the same year the Raven Drafted OG Marshal Yanda in the 3rd Round, and he turned out top be even better than Grubbs...So...They're OG's...You can find very good ones later in the Draft...There is zero need to Draft one high...And most GM's understand that... B-)

Agreed on most points. I'm not saying they SHOULD take Warmack, but I wouldn't be upset if they did. I think that if they try to copy teams running a read option it's a losing proposition. They will be playing catchup with players less suited to run that style offense. I'd love to see a more innovative approach and if they decided they would be a run oriented team that runs out of different formations I think that could work. Warmack could give them that flexibility and it fits with the rest of their offensive personnel.

Not that I really know that will work, but that's why I work at a bank and not in the NFL.

I tried to point this out in another post...And I'm not defending Buddy either because I think Buddy sucks...But anyway, not Drafting OG's high is certainly NOT a Buddy Nix exclusive philosophy...Davis DeCastro went #24 overall last year after being touted by some scouts as the best player in the entire Draft not named Luck...OG is generally viewed as a position where you get better value in the 2nd Round and on ...It's like Daniel Jeremiah said yesterday...While he was a Scout for Baltimore in 2007 they Drafted OG Ben Grubbs in the 1st Round and he turned out to be a pretty good OG...But the same year the Raven Drafted OG Marshal Yanda in the 3rd Round, and he turned out to be even better than Grubbs...So...They're OG's...You can find very good ones later in the Draft...There is zero need to Draft one high...And most GM's understand that... B-)

I get what your saying, and am not arguing the idea of finding good to average OG's in the later rounds. That has been a standard policy for just about every NFL team.

What I am disputing is that every now and again a very rare and special player is available at whatever position, and when you have a chance to draft a player like that, you go for it.

NFN, David DeCastro was graded at #6 BPA and he did have some minor flaws. Warmack OTOH grades as the #1 overall BPA and his only flaw (if you want to call it a flaw) is that he is 6'2" and thus better suited for OG then OT. My argument going by pure grade, and going by what the scouts have to say.

To roll the dice on a pick like Jauron taking Aaron Maybin at #11, who was a complete bust in Buffalo. Whereas Warmack has a very good chance to not only be an instant starter he could very well be an immediate all pro guard. Which is something the Bills haven't had since 8 time pro bowler OG Ruben Brown who was taken by the Bills at #14 in the first round. Like I said, #8 doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

http://www.greatest-players.com/NFL-Guards.htm

Considering the opinion of Guards at OneBillsDrive, why take a guy at 8 when we know that we'll just let him walk in FA in 5 years

There's that phrase again, "let him walk." The Bills didn't "let" anyone walk. Levitre simply exercised his free will leave for the best possible deal. And he got it. Good for him. That is in now way indicitive of how much the Bills value guards. If Levitre had Warmack's ability, they probably would have offered him top 4 money. But seeing as he's not a very dominant player and leaves something to be desired at the POA, they wisely chose NOT to give Levitre that kind of coin. Warmack would be a completely different story.

GO BILLS!!!

Word it however you want. If this guy as good as people believe he is, then we will only be renting him. If you think he will be better than Levitre, then he'll command even more money and you think we will spend it then? Somehow I doubt it.

Word it however you want. If this guy as good as people believe he is, then we will only be renting him. If you think he will be better than Levitre, then he'll command even more money and you think we will spend it then? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't think he will be better than Levitre, I think he already is. And by a mile, too. If the Bills ended up getting Warmack, it would certainly be easier for them to justify paying him top G money vs. paying somebody who isn't as dominant at the position. It would at least make SENSE on every level. Whereas giving Levitre that kind of money made no sense on ANY level.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm really starting to think it won't be warmack at 8 even though I believed they may turn there. Instead I think they like JC Tretter out of Cornell and if they got him in the fourth I wouldn't be upset at all!!!

I have spoken with JC and his father. They both think he's a great fit in Buffalo. He might even be there in RD5.

I get what your saying, and am not arguing the idea of finding good to average OG's in the later rounds. That has been a standard policy for just about every NFL team.

What I am disputing is that every now and again a very rare and special player is available at whatever position, and when you have a chance to draft a player like that, you go for it.

NFN, David DeCastro was graded at #6 BPA and he did have some minor flaws. Warmack OTOH grades as the #1 overall BPA and his only flaw (if you want to call it a flaw) is that he is 6'2" and thus better suited for OG then OT. My argument going by pure grade, and going by what the scouts have to say.

To roll the dice on a pick like Jauron taking Aaron Maybin at #11, who was a complete bust in Buffalo. Whereas Warmack has a very good chance to not only be an instant starter he could very well be an immediate all pro guard. Which is something the Bills haven't had since 8 time pro bowler OG Ruben Brown who was taken by the Bills at #14 in the first round. Like I said, #8 doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

http://www.greatest-players.com/NFL-Guards.htm

Excellent post. Think all the peeps bang in the drum for Warmack like myself see he's a once in a generation prospect that is the safest bet to be a stud than any other player at their respective position in this draft.

How is that different than any other player? Your long view is short sighted.

I don't think he will be better than Levitre, I think he already is. And by a mile, too. If the Bills ended up getting Warmack, it would certainly be easier for them to justify paying him top G money vs. paying somebody who isn't as dominant at the position. It would at least make SENSE on every level. Whereas giving Levitre that kind of money made no sense on ANY level.

GO BILLS!!!

Good point. Bet a lot of us didn't stop to think that maybe they let Levitre walk because their intention was to replace him with warmack? Just sayin

Good point. Bet a lot of us didn't stop to think that maybe they let Levitre walk because their intention was to replace him with warmack? Just sayin

I honestly don't think the Bills had Warmack or any other pick in mind when they realized they weren't going to be offering Levitre enough to keep him. But I see two ways the Bills may upgrade at the position: draft a stud LT and move Glenn to LG or draft Warmack.

GO BILLS!!!

I honestly don't think the Bills had Warmack or any other pick in mind when they realized they weren't going to be offering Levitre enough to keep him. But I see two ways the Bills may upgrade at the position: draft a stud LT and move Glenn to LG or draft Warmack.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree, although I liked Levitre very much as he was a gamer and would play any position he was asked to play. He was only average at best IMO and he looked better then he actually was by playing next to Eric Wood. Who, if he ever stays healthy a full season he will make the pro bowl. Then there is the fact that the O line had Fitz throwing so they didn't need to hold their pass blocks very long.

Should the Bills draft one of those top 3 OT's or Warmack I think that O line could be something special this year. Perhaps moving Glenn to RT if they draft an OT at #8. I think most Bills fans like myself yearn for blue collar the old days when they ran more then they threw with Kelly and Thurman.

Yea I'm tired of hearing that he is going to be gone in 4 yrs line...

Buddy has a history of taking BPA. Warmack would be if he is on the board at 8.

I'm saying be prepared to see it happen. As a matter of fact., I could live with these 3 players in the first round.

Chance Warmack

EJ Manuel....he wont be there in the second.

C. Petterson. we need a WR

These 3 guys help the team right now.

"The last guard taken in the top 10 was Chris Naeole, who went 10th overall to New Orleans in 1997. Since the Bills took Ruben Brown 14th in 1995, Naeole is the only guard drafted higher."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/04/road-to-the-draft-chance-warmack.html?ref=

Since the bills are going to be running an up tempo no huddle, I think Jonathan Cooper would be a better fit if they actually wanted to go this route...