Vince Young's $300K Birthday Party

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, the stupidity of these people just make me angry. Give me one million cash and I could retire forever with a monthly income of $15k+ without every spending one dime of the million, in fact, the million would grow and my income would grow every year. Yet these idiots get many times that and are broke in a year or two of their career ending. Pathetic.

I understand your anger when so many people look at these athletes and wonder what it would be like to have all that money. I can actually understand how some of these "kids" end up broke. We can sit back and judge them because we're most likley older and can see the stupidity of their actions. But many of these young athletes are not prepared to have this amount of money thrown at them. When money like that comes fast and easy, the assumption is it will always be that way. They don't see the future. Many athletes associate wealth with material possessions, thus the purchasing of big ticket items, like cars, jewelry, etc.The obsession to have the best clothes, the biggest house, the best "toys" is a wealth killer.Also , many athletes who grew up poor and were helped by extended family. They then feel a sense of guilt and desire to help the family. That's not a bad thing, but what inevitably ends up happening is that free loading "family" expect the money train to never end. It's hard for the young athlete to turn off the gravy train. These young men need help and guidence before these huge contacts are signed. There is always some shark in the water ready to pounce and take advantage of people who have little experience with money, who suddenly come upon a jackpot. We have seen how many lottery winners end up. Does the NFL do enough to help these young men? Probably not. Yes, many will say these guys are adults and should be responsible for their own decisions but I see these guys as naive kids in many ways. It's easy to laugh and scoff at them , but they need some help. In a way, they are to be pitied. We can all say we would do it right if we came upon all that money, but can we be sure we would have been that wise when we were 21 years old?

Edited by first_and_ten

Hey $$$dog, That is an 18% return. Could you loan me your financial advisor? Maybe you can get that return and more if you are in the banking business: Loan Sharking!!!!

Check your math. Or send me $1M and I will guarantee you $15K every year myself....

maybe the NFL/NFLPA should offer/make mandatory the reverse of lottery winnings....

instead of taking the cash......they get it in the form of an Annuity that pays them annually over 50 years......

fat chance....it'll never happen....

Or maybe 20-25% goes into an annuity for contracts over $5M. Anything to stop these guys from being desolate within a few years of leaving the league. You've got to think that's bad for the NFL's image.

He said $15K a month. That comes to $180K a year. Which is 18% of $1M. Not sure what makes that sort of return in today's world. Making and selling meth on the street?

Crud, you're right. Though my offer still stands to guarantee $15K per year (or $15 per month) return on $1M....

I've got to stop posting before my coffee really kicks in.

Edited by Matt in KC

Or maybe 20-25% goes into an annuity for contracts over $5M. Anything to stop these guys from being desolate within a few years of leaving the league. You've got to think that's bad for the NFL's image.

Buy some real estate or loan money selectively on real estate. You can hit those numbers pretty easily done right. To the other guy who said if he got a million bucks he could retire with 15k per month...why haven't you done it already? You don't need a million bucks to make 18 percent.

Seriously, the stupidity of these people just make me angry. Give me one million cash and I could retire forever with a monthly income of $15k+ without every spending one dime of the million, in fact, the million would grow and my income would grow every year. Yet these idiots get many times that and are broke in a year or two of their career ending. Pathetic.

Yes but you're a relatively intelligent person. Why are many surprised by this? Most of these guys grow up without much in the way of family and education. Now hand them millions of dollars and all of sudden they become smart and responsible? Not going to happen.

Are you that channel trading guy from the infomercial??

No one can guarentee $15k/ month on a million without touching principle, no one.

Why you could turn 100k into a million in 14 years and retire for life too. 10k in 28 years...

Why not also link the actual story to which PFT links to? Here it is: http://sports.yahoo....44746--nfl.html

jw

Funny that you admonish me (the OP) on this.

Most often I do link the original story.

Occasionally in fairness to PFT, I will link their posts because I go there every day and if PFT didn't exist, I wouldn't see 90% of the NFL content I see because they do exist.

Bottom line, I'm a big PFT customer and they deserve some traffic too because they're by far the biggest and best central clearing house for the NFL.

Probably the AP gets more traffic because of PFT although that's only a guess.

Funny that you admonish me (the OP) on this.

Most often I do link the original story.

Occasionally in fairness to PFT, I will link their posts because I go there every day and if PFT didn't exist, I wouldn't see 90% of the NFL content I see because they do exist.

Bottom line, I'm a big PFT customer and they deserve some traffic too because they're by far the biggest and best central clearing house for the NFL.

Probably the AP gets more traffic because of PFT although that's only a guess.

all i'm saying is credit should be given when credit is due, something which PFT failed to do in its post by failing to mention The Associated Press while only linking the story. ... on occassion, i find PFT plays favorites by mentioning some publications and not always mentioning others.

and, if not for the AP, espn.com in particular and PFT to a certain degree, wouldn't have very much to put on its sites to reference. ...

though it usually goes uncredited or the credit is used as "wire services" or "The Associated Press contributed to this report," much of espn.com's content is populated by AP stories.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

You obviously are not a playa'

Check your math. Or send me $1M and I will guarantee you $15K every year myself....

Why would I use you as a financial advisor if you are not fully proficient in artihmetic? Remember the standard rule of thumb in the office: Coffee first and then the work begins! LOL

You offer a very sound financial planning strategy with the use of annuities. But when you are dealing with young people who are very unsophisticated and who are surrounded by sharks (often family members) then your type of wise advice is predictably going to be ignored. The attached link is about a player for the Cowboys who got hounded so relentlessly by his family members that he had to go to court to get a restraining order.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/cowboys-lt-tyron-smith-emotionally-torn-apart-by-family-members-demanding-money-from-him.html/

Edited by JohnC