Cold Weather Super Bowls

billsfan89

the superdome is a 10 minute walk from all the hotels, all the venues for the corporate events, and of course the french quarter. the only time someone needed to get in a car the last 4 days was to get to and from the airport. couple that with weather in the 60/70s and sunny every day and an enclosed dome.... by comparison NY will be a real challenge logistically even in a best case scenario because you have to plan for the sprawl of the city, the dense population, and the potential for disaster in the forecast. and its not just about game day - where do you hold the nfl experience? the fan concerts? whats your plan for halftime? i could walk from "super bowl blvd" to the nfl experience to the super dome and back to the nfl experience in about 30 minutes in shorts and a tshirt this weekend. i made it from the nfl honors award show, over to the maxim party and still back to the nike hospitality room in similar transport time (with obvious stops not included in that timeline), and of course though i missed events at the bud light hotel it was along the way.

if theres any sort of weather issue it will be a disaster. if that weather hits on game day it will be a failure of epic proportions for the nfl.

+ 1000

Edited by PearlHowardman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone that lives 15 minutes from Metlife, and spent 4 yrs of college in NYC, I can not wait for the Superbowl. It's not hard to get to the stadium, from NJ or NYC and honestly i would almost rather take transit from NYC to the stadium then try to drive there. RT 3 is a nightmare but i'm betting all that construction will be finished well before the next superbowl (TY GOD)

My only concern is the possible slight disappointment in the festivities surrounding the stadium. I'm not sure if they will use all the surrounding buildings like the racetrack and the izod center, but it's not like MSG which is literally in the middle of the city and you can go across the street to a bar. You are gonna have to drive, take a bus or taxi. I would almost suggest the NFL/ Metlife personal to somehow designate buses to take fans to different areas/bars and have them running around the clock. There are a ton of really fun places 5-20 minutes away from the stadium that could really heighten the superbowl experience and the visit to NJ. Of course you could just head back to NYC and party it up there.

Also i hope it's a blizzard, i hope it's cold, and i hope it's an amazing game. I will be going to this superbowl simply because it's going to be probably the only one i have a chance to go to.

As someone that lives 15 minutes from Metlife, and spent 4 yrs of college in NYC, I can not wait for the Superbowl. It's not hard to get to the stadium, from NJ or NYC and honestly i would almost rather take transit from NYC to the stadium then try to drive there. RT 3 is a nightmare but i'm betting all that construction will be finished well before the next superbowl (TY GOD)

My only concern is the possible slight disappointment in the festivities surrounding the stadium. I'm not sure if they will use all the surrounding buildings like the racetrack and the izod center, but it's not like MSG which is literally in the middle of the city and you can go across the street to a bar. You are gonna have to drive, take a bus or taxi. I would almost suggest the NFL/ Metlife personal to somehow designate buses to take fans to different areas/bars and have them running around the clock. There are a ton of really fun places 5-20 minutes away from the stadium that could really heighten the superbowl experience and the visit to NJ. Of course you could just head back to NYC and party it up there.

Also i hope it's a blizzard, i hope it's cold, and i hope it's an amazing game. I will be going to this superbowl simply because it's going to be probably the only one i have a chance to go to.

they will have a ton of dedicated transportation. i assure you, if you havent been to a super bowl host city, you will be amazed at what an enormous beast of an event this is that lasts for days. the game is only a small portion of it all. erase from your expectations what you think of with a normal, or even playoff game weekend logistically.

Edited by NoSaint

I have never liked the idea of the Super Bowl being played in neutral or domed or warm weather site. The game should be played in the home field of one of the participants’. You would have a much better game. “Real fans” that live and die with their team would make up the vast majority of those in attendance. Not celebrities or corporate types.

The only reason I ever heard for not doing so was the weather in this part of country during January and February. But the way I look at it, is if you can play a conference championship game in places like Buffalo and Green Bay in mid January, you could also play the Super Bowl their two weeks later.

I have never liked the idea of the Super Bowl being played in neutral or domed or warm weather site. The game should be played in the home field of one of the participants’. You would have a much better game. “Real fans” that live and die with their team would make up the vast majority of those in attendance. Not celebrities or corporate types.

The only reason I ever heard for not doing so was the weather in this part of country during January and February. But the way I look at it, is if you can play a conference championship game in places like Buffalo and Green Bay in mid January, you could also play the Super Bowl their two weeks later.

no the reason is because its a billion dollar event and the setup for it starts months, if not years in advance. to throw together the whole package on 2 weeks notice would be utterly impossible and several cities wouldnt have the capabilities needed to host a spectacle of this size.

Why shouldn't all teams get a crack @ hosting it? Doesn't the city greatly benefit from the game? I can see a game in Seattle (retractable roof). What about San Francisco? I THINK SF is technically considered "cold weather" even if it is only "cool" weather. Who does that leave? Cleveland, Pittsburg, KC? Nashville, heck... Warmer weather than NYC. NE and Boston should be doable like Denver? St.Louis has a dome. Of course: Washington, Carolina... Heck if NYC had (will have) it.. Why not them?

Green Bay may be a hitch... Yikes, it was 5 degrees this past week. BFLO really doesn't get that cold a lot of times.

Anyway... Wouldn't that suck is they use Toronto instead of Buffalo! LoL... Boy what a kick in the nuts that would be. Heck, they have had them in Detroit and Minneapolis and Toronto is bigger and better than those places (think Chicago of Lake Ontario). Heck, they can offer an "NHL Slumming" package to take in a home-home series between the Leafs and Sabres!

What ploy should we use? ;-) :-P

Chicago modernized when the upgraded Soldier to the Flyin' Saucer?

What about the Hump Dome in Minny? Or the SilverDome in Detroit (Pontiac)? Same w/GA Dome... All not "shiny new." Kinda... Dumps.

Perhaps YE OLE is misunderstanding the point here, but when Detroit hosted the SuperBowl in Feb. 2006, it was because Ford Field was "shiny new" which harkens back to zow2's point. If you build it, they will come gents!

By definition you cannot have a blizzard and an amazing game.

But I also want it to be a blizzard like the Bills/Browns Monday night game a few years ago.

Make it a complete and epic embarrassment for the NFL.

I don't remember the Steelers getting the game w/ a new stadium, or the Broncos, or Seattle, etc. They gave it to NYC because its NYC.

denver has announced they will be bidding on 2018 - also the cities themselves have to meet certain minimum standards to even present a package (hotel room total within X distance, minimum event space, airport capacity to handle everything etc...)

Now that's a thought. Could do it at MSG and charge for admission as well. Nothing the NFL likes more than some additional cha-ching!

ESPN radio this morning reported that the NFL said there likely won't be an outdoor halftime show in the stadium.

The thing I found at the 4 Bills Super Bowls is that they are better/more fun in the small market cities. When they were in Atlanta & Pasadena, things were so spread out and there were so many other things going on. In Tampa & Minneapolis, the Super Bowl was IT. Everybody and everything was focused on it. You could get from venue to venue without a lot of travel.

Perhaps YE OLE is misunderstanding the point here, but when Detroit hosted the SuperBowl in Feb. 2006, it was because Ford Field was "shiny new" which harkens back to zow2's point. If you build it, they will come gents!

XVI, 1982 (SF over CINN) was in Detroit, first northern city to host the SB.

denver has announced they will be bidding on 2018 - also the cities themselves have to meet certain minimum standards to even present a package (hotel room total within X distance, minimum event space, airport capacity to handle everything etc...)

All teams should have a chance no matter what. This is a a case of the blessed getting more blessed. Anything else is stacked against a city because of size and geography! Why should a dump like JAX be rewarded with SB just because it is "warm." They had to move boats in to make more hotel rooms!

All teams should have a chance no matter what. This is a a case of the blessed getting more blessed. Anything else is stacked against a city because of size and geography! Why should a dump like JAX be rewarded with SB just because it is "warm." They had to move boats in to make more hotel rooms!

Like it or not, the SB is an event first. A showcase for the NFL with considerations far wider than a game.

What in the world could motivate the NFL to have such an event in a hole like Buffalo particularly in February? Where would everyone stay if they did? Would they shuttle people in from Toronto?

As bad as the game could potentially be in NJ next year due to weather, even in good weather the entire spectacle would be a disaster in a city like Buffalo.

Hmmm. I suppose they could have everyone stay in Toronto and do everything there. Then just play the game at the Ralph.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wow... I am getting senior memory moments! LoL... Okay, than... It must HAVE snowed like a mother prior to the game. ;-) ;-)

But, it was still cold?

I think you're confusing it with the Raiders playoff game 3 years later. That was one of the coldest games in NFL history.

XVI, 1982 (SF over CINN) was in Detroit, first northern city to host the SB.

Buffalo could update the stadium, create plans to develop the area and plan for the crowds and submit a bid.

Not the nfls fault that they A) haven't B) won't

Remind me again why it's not fair for the nfl to host its event at locations of its choosing deemed fit to the needs they have?