Cats : The silent killers

Just Jack

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cat enclosure accessed from my laundry window so my cats never go out into the open world.

It protects my cats from disease and accidents.....and protects the many beautiful native birds in my area.

I don't think anybody would be too happy if one of these were to be killed....

http://www.pbase.com/ian_c/image/111755283

http://www.pbase.com/ian_c/image/98198694

http://www.pbase.com/ian_c/image/99678922

http://www.pbase.com/ian_c/image/96143890

Pound for pound, nature's best hunting machine: night vision eyes, 360 hearing, fangs, retractable claws, stealthy, quick reflexes, agile, can climb and leap safely from heights, can swim ....

I understand theyre not too popular down under for the havoc the wreak on native animal species

Pound for pound, nature's best hunting machine: night vision eyes, 360 hearing, fangs, retractable claws, stealthy, quick reflexes, agile, can climb and leap safely from heights, can swim ....

I understand theyre not too popular down under for the havoc the wreak on native animal species

You are indeed correct. There have been new housing estates(suburbs) open up here in the past decade which have had a caveat on the land stipulating that the owner cannot have cats.

I personally think that is going too far as a good cat enclosure helps ensure the protection of the native fauna.

.....and you are also correct about them being hunting machines. Even with an enclosure one of my cats once managed to grab a young pigeon, somehow pull it through the chicken wire, and deposit it still living in my lounge room. One can only imagine how many birds the two of my cats would have killed over the years if they had been allowed to roam free.

I have friends on Facebook

you !@#$ing liar

Even with an enclosure one of my cats once managed to grab a young pigeon, somehow pull it through the chicken wire, and deposit it still living in my lounge room.

Ours used to drop the heads of gophers on our doorstep.

That article seems oddly concerned over the fate of voles and chipmunks.

It seems to me the cats are providing a valuable services. Keep at it, Mr. Kitty!

Yah, isn't that service why Europeans brought them over here on ships in the first place?

And as the last sentence/quote of that article alludes to, they kill rats who kill birds too, so it's not all bad.

Ours used to drop the heads of gophers on our doorstep.

Ours when i was growing up used to sadistically torture mice in front of us for hours. They'd be half dead and bleeding, he'd pretend he was letting them escape, then pounce on them at the last second , dragging them back to center stage for more torture. Then when he decided it was time to put them out of their misery, the end would come in a macabre climax of gory dismemberment.

Cat was super cute too, which masked a nasty sadism.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Some of you know I work in radio. There have been enviromentalists fighting the building of new radio/tv towers because they claimed they killed too many birds. (birds get decapitated flying into guy wires allegedly) I guess now we will be exterminating cats too.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Some of you know I work in radio. There have been enviromentalists fighting the building of new radio/tv towers because they claimed they killed too many birds. (birds get decapitated flying into guy wires allegedly) I guess now we will be exterminating cars too.

PTR

Wow, does that mean you will be riding a bike from now on?

No, it's true! He accepted my friend request (probably going against someones advice not to accept it). But most of his post there are pictures of food he's made.

To me FB ain't about people. It's about food, booze and music. Luckily for Pooj most of his posts are what beer he's drinking otherwise he'd have been unfriended long ago.

As I type this my 3 cats are playing in the house running full speed and one of them ran into a wall and knocked himself out.......

Funnyist **** I ever saw.....as long as he isnt dead. Gotta go check on him now.

Knocked himself out?? And you didn't get this on video. That would have made him a youtube star. I would have paid money to see that and I love cats. :lol:

Yup...for me Facebook is like my beer, music and off the wall stories blog...I try and stay away from detailing everything I do or place I go during the course of my day...unless I think someone would find it interesting....

" On the bus to work...its windy and I have the most adorable and smart children.."

I'll post a picture of my phone so u can be amazed at the current weather...

To me FB ain't about people. It's about food, booze and music. Luckily for Pooj most of his posts are what beer he's drinking otherwise he'd have been unfriended long ago.

Knocked himself out?? And you didn't get this on video. That would have made him a youtube star. I would have paid money to see that and I love cats. :lol:

Edited by The Poojer

I've grown up with cats my entire life. Like John, I now have three; like Dibs, mine are all indoor cats Two of the three have grown up with our dog, so the dog thinks she's a cat and the cats think they're dogs (one of them always gets some dog food at feeding time before the dog digs in).

It's my belief that people who hate cats really just hate the fact that the cats really don't need them.