Flacco Wants $20 mil/yr

Rob's House

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure their top notch defense had nothing to do with those playoff wins.

;-)

Yes, but it does not matter. You need a complete team, but you also need a QB capable of winning big games. Flacco has proven that. BTW, the Ravens D was not nearly as good as the one that won the Super Bowl with a scrub QB. Flacco is a major part of their success. If he wins next week he can demand 20 mil plus and be assured someone will pay him. Probably the Ravens. probably will getiteven if he loses.

Flacco is under the assumption he's one of the best QBs in the league. How cute.

He's outperformed Brady in consecutive AFC championship games. He is acknowledged to have one of the very strongest arms in the NFL. He's 7-8 years younger than Brady and manning. The future is a lot more about flacco than the fading icons

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

He's outperformed Brady in consecutive AFC championship games. He is acknowledged to have one of the very strongest arms in the NFL. He's 7-8 years younger than Brady and manning. The future is a lot more about flacco than the facing icons

the best and honestly, the only logical argument yet.

At some point you hit a $ figure that exceeds the player's value. I'm not necessarily saying Flacco isn't worth $20 mil, but seeing as how that would basically make him the highest paid QB in the league when no one considers him the best QB in the league, it seems reasonable to wonder if he's overestimated his value. Especially if it prevents them from resigning multiple defensive players.

It also depends on whether they think the success of the offense is more a product of Joe Flacco's ability or the system and talent around him.

He's the best UFA QB this year, with a good resume to back him up. As others pointed out, the QBs making more than him have their careers in the rear view mirror. There used to be the prevailing wisdom that Ravens D is responsible for all the wins, yet why didn't they get back to the game after Dilfer left, but their D was still dominant? Flacco is 8-4 in the playoffs (should have been at least 9-3, through no fault of his own). That's pretty impressive. He's worth the change.

that would require two things that 100 percent will not happen:

1) Flacco leaves Baltimore.

2) Baltimore lets Flacco go.

That Johnny Football thread had more upside, and that was hair-brained as well.

Lets face it. Fitzy next year. There is no QB that's actually available that would be a better option...

Ok, so let's say the Ravens decide not to pay him 20 million per season. They would then place the franchise tag on him, but what franchise tag would they use? Both guarantee Flacco around 15 million a year. With one franchise tag Flacco cannot sign anywhere else. With the other, the Ravens could either match another teams offer or let him walk for 2 first round picks. Most teams use the later, the saints last year with Brees being one of the few exceptions. If the Ravens don't use the exclusive rights tag the bills should consider giving up 2 first round picks for him. They would have to structure the deal so that the Ravens could not match. There are still a few ways to plant a "poison pill" into the contract. If the Ravens do use the exclusive right tag I could see Flacco holding out. Yes, it is hard to turn down $15 million. He would have some leverage in my opinion, as the Ravens would probably take a major step back without him. It should be interesting.

He's the best UFA QB this year, with a good resume to back him up. As others pointed out, the QBs making more than him have their careers in the rear view mirror. There used to be the prevailing wisdom that Ravens D is responsible for all the wins, yet why didn't they get back to the game after Dilfer left, but their D was still dominant? Flacco is 8-4 in the playoffs (should have been at least 9-3, through no fault of his own). That's pretty impressive. He's worth the change.

I don't really disagree, just saying I could understand if the Ravens thought that was too steep.

Just my opinion here, but i think people are talking too much about Flacco during this playoff season and not enough about Boldin. Freakin guy has made some HUGE clutch plays and without out him I think Balt is already sitting home.

Then we would be laughing about Flacco commanding that type of salary.

So pay the guy, I guess, but better keep his best target happy too!

And while they at it they should throw to him more, but that's a topic for another thread I suppose.

What makes Flacco any different than the top qbs in the league. He's won playoff games in each of his first 5 years and is now in a superbowl. His overall numbers are above average. Btw he's the only qb in NFL history to win playoff games in his first 5 years. How exactly is he "not elite"? Because he didn't do it sooner? So I guess in that case Eli is also "not elite". Hell how long did it take Peyton to get to a superbowl? Flacco has been nothing short of outstanding this postseason and has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. He's worth the money for a guy who's only 27 years old. He's basically been a better version of Roethlisberger and he'll probably stay healthier cause he doesn't take the amount of unnecessary hits Ben has taken

Edited by Stealth

I would pay him that much. Not even think twice. Come on, folks. He got his team to the Superbowl and he didn't do it riding a top-5 defense.

I hope the Ravens are stupid enough to say no. In fact, Flacco may be the dumb one for not asking for more. He would easily get his asking price on the open market.

Yes, but his is not an open market, unless the Ravens are dumb enough not to franchise him. So you're talking 5/100/40 guaranteed and then on top of that, two #1 picks. That's too steep a price, most likely.