E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

Here's a link to EJ's take on his visit with Gruden: http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/03/15/the-ej-manuel-diaries-grudens-qb-camp/

"Obviously, a lot of what he and I discussed is between us two, but I left Coach Gruden as one of his all time favorites."

Here's the full list of all his diary entries on the same website: http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/category/ej-manuel-draft-diary/

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of kids from the South, this one from Virgina, and don't say "yes, sir" half as much. it was over-the-top, but i'm sure he'd get over that once he gets his millions.

on the flip side, you had Barkley playing the part of the typical laid-back surfer dude... stereotypical, but came off so true. no "yessirs" from him/ more like "yeah, totally".

I know this is not the intent of your post, and the point still holds, but I'm so sick of the "surfer dude" connection to any CA quarterback. My family moved from Buffalo when I was young and I grew up surfing in a central coast CA surf town, and still surf every week. Barkley doesn't know how to surf. He's not a "surfer dude".

I'm well aware that this mini-rant is frivolous...I'm just trying to make it to draft day.

I know this is not the intent of your post, and the point still holds, but I'm so sick of the "surfer dude" connection to any CA quarterback. My family moved from Buffalo when I was young and I grew up surfing in a central coast CA surf town, and still surf every week. Barkley doesn't know how to surf. He's not a "surfer dude".

I'm well aware that this mini-rant is frivolous...I'm just trying to make it to draft day.

it's not about surfing, it's about the relaxed, laid-back, informal, attitude. and while i was not expecting it or looking for it, it was glaring.. probably because i watched it right after the very formal, respectful, serious attitude of EJ Manuel. Manuel was in there for a job interview, while Barkley seemed more like he was hanging out with a peer. it may not mean much, but from the all the ones i watched it would have been pretty obvious which was the SoCal guy just from audio alone... probably even just the transcript.

lots of kids from the South, this one from Virgina, and don't say "yes, sir" half as much. it was over-the-top, but i'm sure he'd get over that once he gets his millions.

on the flip side, you had Barkley playing the part of the typical laid-back surfer dude... stereotypical, but came off so true. no "yessirs" from him/ more like "yeah, totally".

Grasping at straws with this one.

it's not about surfing, it's about the relaxed, laid-back, informal, attitude. and while i was not expecting it or looking for it, it was glaring.. probably because i watched it right after the very formal, respectful, serious attitude of EJ Manuel. Manuel was in there for a job interview, while Barkley seemed more like he was hanging out with a peer. it may not mean much, but from the all the ones i watched it would have been pretty obvious which was the SoCal guy just from audio alone... probably even just the transcript.

The whole "yes sir/no sir" thing can be regarded as good manners, or as knee jerk cultural marker or as a sign of servility. I favor the last interpretation. I find it generally noxious and un-American as it implies (to me) that the person you're speaking to is of a higher caste than you. Significantly, the two places where this usage is strictly enforced are the military and prison. And the area of the country where it is wildly prevalent is the South, a place with a long and engrained history of a sense of the caste system, where servility was imposed and enforced by custom and by violence. I prefer to hang on to the older American tradition of "no man is my better." But then again, I do live in Southern California.

From walterfootball.com:

I believe Manuel will be the second quarterback off the board. I also think there's a very strong chance he goes in the first half of the opening round. Think about it - outside of Geno Smith, Manuel was the only signal-caller to accept a draft invite. This could very well mean that his agent knows something.

I totally agree with this, why would Manuel and his agent accept the invite to the draft if they thought he'd be sitting there all night waiting for his name to be called? I really think it's going to come down to him or Nassib at #8.

A recent view of EJ more critical , http://www.bigcatcou...n=articlebottom

scroll down on that link, not as good as original address

That article is pretty much spot on if you aren't a Nole fan.

Replace "EJ Manuel" with "Tim Tebow" in the first five paragraphs and you have the same guy with far far less college success in one of the weaker conferences in CFB. Amazingly, some people here want him at number 8 but consider Tebow a laughable reach at number 25.....hot pockets!

Further proof that nothing about the draft is either certain or logical. Take a flyer on a QB in the second or third round this year, hope for AJ McCarron or Johnny Football next year. How about Tyler Bray, he wouldn't be the first Tennessee QB to have success in the NFL while never winning a thing in college.....I jest.

From walterfootball.com:

I believe Manuel will be the second quarterback off the board. I also think there's a very strong chance he goes in the first half of the opening round. Think about it - outside of Geno Smith, Manuel was the only signal-caller to accept a draft invite. This could very well mean that his agent knows something.

I totally agree with this, why would Manuel and his agent accept the invite to the draft if they thought he'd be sitting there all night waiting for his name to be called? I really think it's going to come down to him or Nassib at #8.

And interestingly Matt Barkley declined an invitation to the draft.

That article is pretty much spot on if you aren't a Nole fan.

Replace "EJ Manuel" with "Tim Tebow" in the first five paragraphs and you have the same guy with far far less college success in one of the weaker conferences in CFB. Amazingly, some people here want him at number 8 but consider Tebow a laughable reach at number 25.....hot pockets!

That article was garbage IMO.

And Manuel has more talent in one of his discarded finger nails clippings than Tebow has in his entire body.

That article was garbage IMO.

And Manuel has more talent in one of his discarded finger nails clippings than Tebow has in his entire body.

Thank you. the article was garbage, because it included factual inaccurracies (there some blatant falsehoods in there), and the writer had barely anything good to say about EJ. If you're going to write an article about a QB, its tough to take the "writer" seriously when they essentially refuse to state any positives that a player has and they just spend 1,000 words denigrating him. Smacks of an axe to grind.

They were talking with EJ today or yesterday down here, and asked him about Gruden's QB camp. What i found most interesting is that EJ insinuated that Gruden said some completely different things to him on camera than he did off camera. It didn't seem like anything too serious, and he wasn't accusing Gruden of falsehoods, but he seemed to imply that Gruden played some things up for TV.

Which one?

He expressed two different ideas.

Are you saying he's grasping at straws with both ideas?

Or grasping at two straws. Thank goodness for thumbs.

Don't be surprised guys if this is The guy.

The fire is starting to heat up under the darft gentlemen.

Get your popcorn and sodies ready

At any rate, back to the real issue: Of all the QB's in this draft, EJ Manuel is the one worth risking a high draft pick on --- I do hope the BIlls daft him, and I would be fine with him in the number 8 spot.

FYP.

And as to the whole Barkley "declined an invitation to the draft" thing, what the hell is that?

Is that what a FRANCHISE qb does? I want my FRANCHISE qb to accept the invitation and expect to go first overall, and if not, to have a chip on his shoulder the size of saturn.

Does anyone here think Jim Kelly would have passed up an invitation to the draft (if not planning to go to the usfl)?

I do not want my franchise qb to go surfing instead of attending the biggest day of his life, to date. Punkass

Edited by maddenboy

#8 billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State FloridaState_logo.gif

You may have seen me hint that I was leaning toward mocking E.J. Manuel to the Bills if you follow me on Twitter (@walterfootball). I think there's a good chance that it happens. It may seem far-fetched now, but is it really crazier than Jake Locker at No. 8, Blaine Gabbert at No. 10 or Christian Ponder at No. 12?

If there's a team that would be willing to draft Manuel this high, it would the Bills, who are absolutely starved for a franchise quarterback. The fans are desperately searching for someone to rally behind. They all know Kevin Kolb can't lead them to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. Going with Kolb in 2013 would give the fans no hope. Manuel, meanwhile, would give the franchise a sense of direction. Maybe it would be the wrong direction, but it would generate major fan interest nonetheless.

*** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Geno Smith, QB - This is the no-brainer pick if Smith falls.

2. Tavon Austin, WR - The Bills have to go offense at No. 8 after spending so many resources on defense last year. A second receiver is needed.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

#8 billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State FloridaState_logo.gif

Please god. Please.

Please Santa. Please.

Please Easter Bunny. Please.

If you have seen the Gruden qb shows this year, please opine on this: I have said for years to friends, that what I want to see in a qb (or any position in the draft) is a "grown-ass man." Not a boy or somebody just happy to be here. I want somebody who wants to kill the other team and too bad its not legal.

I saw it in Andy Dalton, but not Cam Newton. I see it in Luck and RG III and Russell wilson, but not Sanchez or Romo or even Cutler.

Geno is a goof. Barkley is happy to be here, isnt this cool. EJ Manuel is like "yeah, I'm bout to f**c somebody up."

And ask yourself: How long has it been since you woke up on a Sunday and said to yourself "we're about to f**k this team up?" Usually I'm happy if I can get myself up to "yeah, we have a chance if this and this and this and this happens, and we get a little luck too." I want to look forward to f**king some teams up.

Edited by maddenboy