E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

just curious, what do they do during a pre-draft visit that they didn't do during a workout??.. I like that they are acknowledging the fact this draft has no clear cut rank in QB's and are doing everything they can to make sure they get a QB they can make this team better with...wonder how many more QB's they have in mind to bring in..I'm thinking T.Wilson, T. Bray, M. Barkley and maybe they bring in Nassib just to check up on him.....I could see Zac Dysert as-well.

Yeah the composition of a private workout would be a nice subject for a news article.

Of the QBs you mention, I think it's more likely that they would work out Glennon than Bray. But hopefully they work out all of them.

http://www.asktheboo...8-22-win-62896/

Saw this article. Last paragraph says Bruce Smith is his godfather.

WOW! Well that settles it for me because Manuel was already my favorite and now to find out that Bruce Smith is his Godfather!

Geno, EJ & Matt will all be drafted before our 2nd round pick.

Without a doubt.

The question is which one(s) will be available at #8 when we most likely draft our QB.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really starting to think EJ's gonna be the pick at #8. Especially when I heard he was invited to the opening night of the draft, it feels like he's gonna be Jake Locker or Christian Ponder two years ago - guys that everyone thought were going to be taken in the 2nd or later and all of a sudden around draft day you start hearing rumors then both end up going 8th and 12th respectively. Plus he really seems like a Buddy pick (assuming he's still calling shots on draft day) - from the Southeast, multiple productive years in college, good student, etc.

I'd be thrilled with either him or Barkley, Geno would be cool but it would scare me if all the teams ahead of us pass on him and no one wants to trade up for him. However the first 7 picks play out, is there seriously any way we don't take a QB with the 8th pick?? It appears the FO has made the QB search priority #1, given all these QB workouts and our lack of action in FA.

eaglesb_logo.gifPhiladelphia Eagles: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia WestVirginia_logo.gif

This is not the surprise pick I promised on Twitter (@walterfootball), but I am going with Geno Smith to the Eagles.

It's no secret Philadelphia has serious interest in Smith. Sal Paolantonio first spoke of it on 97.5 the Fanatic. "From what I'm hearing the Eagles are serous about Geno Smith and it's not a smokescreen. They're dead serious," he said.

The Eagles then sent their entire contingent to West Virginia's Pro Day. I might as well capitalize ENTIRE because owner Jeffrey Lurie was there too. Lurie has only visited one draft prospect as the Eagles' head boss. That was Donovan McNabb.

The Eagles' interest in Smith shouldn't be a surprise. They need a quarterback - the current starter will be around for only one year, while Nick Foles doesn't fit the offense - and Smith would be perfect in Chip Kelly's scheme.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

eaglesb_logo.gifPhiladelphia Eagles: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia WestVirginia_logo.gif

This is not the surprise pick I promised on Twitter (@walterfootball), but I am going with Geno Smith to the Eagles.

It's no secret Philadelphia has serious interest in Smith. Sal Paolantonio first spoke of it on 97.5 the Fanatic. "From what I'm hearing the Eagles are serous about Geno Smith and it's not a smokescreen. They're dead serious," he said.

The Eagles then sent their entire contingent to West Virginia's Pro Day. I might as well capitalize ENTIRE because owner Jeffrey Lurie was there too. Lurie has only visited one draft prospect as the Eagles' head boss. That was Donovan McNabb.

The Eagles' interest in Smith shouldn't be a surprise. They need a quarterback - the current starter will be around for only one year, while Nick Foles doesn't fit the offense - and Smith would be perfect in Chip Kelly's scheme.

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2013.php

Sounds like the Eagles are trying to entice a trade. Classic.

GO BILLS!!!

An article in today's USA Today on EJ:

http://www.usatoday....-round/2026405/

The 6-5, 237-pound Manuel, who compiled a 25-6 career record, third best in Florida State history, has good reason to spend Sunday with his family. His mom, Jackie is in remission from breast cancer and just returned to work last week.

"She was diagnosed in August, so all of my senior year, I had that in the back of my mind,'' Manuel said. "It wore on me. My mom didn't want it to wear on me, but it's my mom. And I wanted her to be okay.

After workouts for the Bills, Jaguars, Eagles and Bengals, the Cleveland Browns are penciled in for April 5. And the Oakland Raiders and Arizona Cardinals have expressed further interest.

By the way, that's six of the top eight teams in the draft studying the Seminoles star.

Manuel can drive throws to all levels of the field. He ran a 4.65-second, 40-yard dash, and the three-time captain joined former West Virginia star Pat White as the lone quarterbacks in FBS history to win four consecutive bowl games.

NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock elevated Manuel to the second quarterback in his rankings, behind Smith.

"Who would I be betting on in this quarterback class? I decided Manuel is the guy,'' Mayock said. "There are enough holes in all these kids' games that if I'm going to make a mistake, it's going to be with a big athletic kid with arm talent. He's raw, but E.J.'s got a lot of talent."
Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

An article in today's USA Today on EJ:

http://www.usatoday....-round/2026405/

The 6-5, 237-pound Manuel, who compiled a 25-6 career record, third best in Florida State history, has good reason to spend Sunday with his family. His mom, Jackie is in remission from breast cancer and just returned to work last week.

"She was diagnosed in August, so all of my senior year, I had that in the back of my mind,'' Manuel said. "It wore on me. My mom didn't want it to wear on me, but it's my mom. And I wanted her to be okay.

After workouts for the Bills, Jaguars, Eagles and Bengals, the Cleveland Browns are penciled in for April 5. And the Oakland Raiders and Arizona Cardinals have expressed further interest.

By the way, that's six of the top eight teams in the draft studying the Seminoles star.

Manuel can drive throws to all levels of the field. He ran a 4.65-second, 40-yard dash, and the three-time captain joined former West Virginia star Pat White as the lone quarterbacks in FBS history to win four consecutive bowl games.

NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock elevated Manuel to the second quarterback in his rankings, behind Smith.

"Who would I be betting on in this quarterback class? I decided Manuel is the guy,'' Mayock said. "There are enough holes in all these kids' games that if I'm going to make a mistake, it's going to be with a big athletic kid with arm talent. He's raw, but E.J.'s got a lot of talent."

Basically sums up where I'm at as well...

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2013.php

Well...

Then there's this...http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-01/sports/38165483_1_chip-kelly-e-j-manuel-geno-smith

So...Maybe not... B-)

I feel for the team that takes Manuel in the 1st round. Especially if it's a bad team that will probably change coaches soon.

Manuel is soooo far from being ready for the NFL.

You're wrong.

With Matt Barkley the lone exception, Manuel played more snaps in a pro-style offense than any QB in this draft.

When he was a freshman, Christian Ponder was injured and the Seminoles were in danger of having a losing record for the first time ever in the Bobby Bowden era. Manuel took over and the team won 3 of their final 4 games including the Gator Bowl where Manuel was selected as the game's MVP.

He sat behind Ponder as a sophomore but won his only regular season start. Then when Ponder was injured in the Chick-a-fil-A Bowl, Manuel came in and led the Seminoles to victory for the second straight year.

He became the starter his junior year after Ponder graduated and led the team to a winning season and a 3rd straight bowl victory.

As a senior, Manuel led Florida State to their first 12-win season in 13 years.

He is only the second quarterback in NCAA history to ever win 4 bowl games.

He finished his career 25-6 as a starter and defeated arch-rivals Florida and Miami 5 out of 6 games. As a senior, Manuel led the Seminoles to their greatest offensive season in history with 6591 yards.

He is an excellent student who's working on his second degree. There are zero character concerns and he has no weaknesses in his game.

IMO he is completely pro ready having played in a pro-style offense for 3 seasons and I believe he will be the best QB from this class.

You're wrong.

With Matt Barkley the lone exception, Manuel played more snaps in a pro-style offense than any QB in this draft.

When he was a freshman, Christian Ponder was injured and the Seminoles were in danger of having a losing record for the first time ever in the Bobby Bowden era. Manuel took over and the team won 3 of their final 4 games including the Gator Bowl where Manuel was selected as the game's MVP.

He sat behind Ponder as a sophomore but won his only regular season start. Then when Ponder was injured in the Chick-a-fil-A Bowl, Manuel came in and led the Seminoles to victory for the second straight year.

He became the starter his junior year after Ponder graduated and led the team to a winning season and a 3rd straight bowl victory.

As a senior, Manuel led Florida State to their first 12-win season in 13 years.

He is only the second quarterback in NCAA history to ever win 4 bowl games.

He finished his career 25-6 as a starter and defeated arch-rivals Florida and Miami 5 out of 6 games. As a senior, Manuel led the Seminoles to their greatest offensive season in history with 6591 yards.

He is an excellent student who's working on his second degree. There are zero character concerns and he has no weaknesses in his game.

IMO he is completely pro ready having played in a pro-style offense for 3 seasons and I believe he will be the best QB from this class.

I'm on board with EJ as well. I think the question is - should we take him at 8?

I am ok with E.J if Buffalo uses a pick this year to trade back into the 1st and a pick from next year. I side with another who says move Cordy inside and take Lane Johnson. LB in 3rd then a WR again in the 5th followed by another LB to close out.