How would Fitzpatrick play outside of Buffalo?

ny33

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction: fans of the next team Fitz plays for will point to his TD production over the past three years and overlook the turnovers; they'll say he helped an "average" WR like Stevie Johnson have three 1000-yard seasons and blame the Bills' poor W-L record on substandard talent throughout the rest of the roster.

And then they'll watch him play, and about three games into the season they'll say, "oh, now I see."

Prediction: fans of the next team Fitz plays for will point to his TD production over the past three years and overlook the turnovers; they'll say he helped an "average" WR like Stevie Johnson have three 1000-yard seasons and blame the Bills' poor W-L record on substandard talent throughout the rest of the roster.

And then they'll watch him play, and about three games into the season they'll say, "oh, now I see."

True. He is what he is. He got every ounce out of his physical ability and can get red hot at times. He can look like the worst QB in the league and he can match Tom Brady in a shootout the next game (and come up slightly short). I know everyone needs to have extreme opinions one way or the other, but I loved everything Fitz brought to the table. He gave his all and it just wasn't good enough. He will play at least 5 years as a backup and I wish the guy nothing but the best (and hopefully he can be our backup).

If you go through the list of starting LTs it can certainly be argued that Glenn is in the bottom 7. Keep in mind that LT is the most important position on the line, so many first round picks have been used on the position. Now given time, I think Glenn could develop into an average LT and a very good overall lineman, but right now there are a lot of LTs who are better.

Bottom 7 ? That is some crazy talk

The ONLY way Fitz is not here challenging for the starting QB spot is if he is offered as part of a trade package. Other than that, there is zero reason business-wsie to cut him prior to camp. Get used to him being here folks. Me, I'm somewhat excited, although guarded, to see if our defense improves dramatically how well Fitz can be a game manager using the likes of his talented running backs more. Draft weapons like WR C. Patterson in the first, LB, QB, LB, CB, or Patterson, QB, LB, LB, CB, K or whatever and I think we'll truly see what Fitz can do with running this team with a lead. I understand that our D was much improved at the end of the season holding opponents to under 20 ppg and Fitz still lost, BUT I'm willing to lay some if not most of that blame on Gailey's play calling at crucuial times.

Football isn't played in a vaccum. A few bounces here, some luck there and we're 10 - 6 last year. It's that close, and as such, would we all be clammouring for getting rid of Fitz then? Not likely.. Not to deflect blame from Fitz, some of that luck can be generated by exceptional play at the right moments, and that was lacking as it is with all NFL teams at times, but, ushering Fitz out of town now makes no sense. Especially when the alternative options are less than appealing.

It is my opinion that we should keep Fitz (As we're going to anyway) and give him that shot to compete in camp. My guess is that his intelligence will impress both Hacket and Marrone, so much so that he earns a spot on the roster, and if we don't find that diamond in the rough through the draft or some miracle FA signing, Fitz is our starting Qb next year, albeit with what amounts to a much improved defense and better weapons.

Tim-

The ONLY way Fitz is not here challenging for the starting QB spot is if he is offered as part of a trade package. Other than that, there is zero reason business-wsie to cut him prior to camp. Get used to him being here folks. Me, I'm somewhat excited, although guarded, to see if our defense improves dramatically how well Fitz can be a game manager using the likes of his talented running backs more. Draft weapons like WR C. Patterson in the first, LB, QB, LB, CB, or Patterson, QB, LB, LB, CB, K or whatever and I think we'll truly see what Fitz can do with running this team with a lead. I understand that our D was much improved at the end of the season holding opponents to under 20 ppg and Fitz still lost, BUT I'm willing to lay some if not most of that blame on Gailey's play calling at crucuial times.

Football isn't played in a vaccum. A few bounces here, some luck there and we're 10 - 6 last year. It's that close, and as such, would we all be clammouring for getting rid of Fitz then? Not likely.. Not to deflect blame from Fitz, some of that luck can be generated by exceptional play at the right moments, and that was lacking as it is with all NFL teams at times, but, ushering Fitz out of town now makes no sense. Especially when the alternative options are less than appealing.

It is my opinion that we should keep Fitz (As we're going to anyway) and give him that shot to compete in camp. My guess is that his intelligence will impress both Hacket and Marrone, so much so that he earns a spot on the roster, and if we don't find that diamond in the rough through the draft or some miracle FA signing, Fitz is our starting Qb next year, albeit with what amounts to a much improved defense and better weapons.

Tim-

Fitz can't throw downfield, and isn't great at anything else either.

How Spiller managed to get the yards he did on the ground with a QB like Fitz, who isn't any threat at all, is simply beyond me. :huh:

I think Fitz is kind of like Jake Delhomme. If you build a great roster around him you can win some games. I feel that if you trade Fitz for Aaron Rodgers, the bills would have been as good as the Packers were this year and the Packers would have been as bad as the bills were this year. So in summary, getting a good QB is the best way to fix the bills problems.

Maybe so but if the QB cupboard is bare you check another cupboard.

True. He is what he is. He got every ounce out of his physical ability and can get red hot at times. He can look like the worst QB in the league and he can match Tom Brady in a shootout the next game (and come up slightly short). I know everyone needs to have extreme opinions one way or the other, but I loved everything Fitz brought to the table. He gave his all and it just wasn't good enough. He will play at least 5 years as a backup and I wish the guy nothing but the best (and hopefully he can be our backup).

I agree completely.

Tim-

A few bounces here and some luck = fritz not throwing picks in every possible game winning drive we had. Yes, our defense sucked, but when the game was on the line, he did too. Every time. If Jason Campbell was our QB last year, I'd bet we would have had a better record and a better running game. NO ONE is worried about fritz beating them deep. That matters. A lot.

If you go through the list of starting LTs it can certainly be argued that Glenn is in the bottom 7. Keep in mind that LT is the most important position on the line, so many first round picks have been used on the position. Now given time, I think Glenn could develop into an average LT and a very good overall lineman, but right now there are a lot of LTs who are better.

Perhaps you missed the games where Glenn was stonewalling his assignment, driving his opponent into the ground, or leading the way on sweeps/screens. Without going with an in-depth analysis, I can give you 10 LTs that he clearly outperformed:

Miami - J. Martin

Philadelphia - K. Dunlap

Chicago - J. Webb

Detroit - J. Backus

Packers - M. Newhouse

Jacksonville - E. Monroe

Indianapolis - A. Castonzo

Atlanta - S. Baker

Kansas City - B. Albert

Arizona - L. Brown

If you were to break down tape and study other LTs in the league, you'd find Glenn sitting comfortably in the top half, with the potential to be a perennial probowler. I remember Peter King recognizing his play as early as week 2 of the NFL season!

Cordy Glenn, T, Buffalo. C.J. Spiller followed up a 169-yard performance last week with a 123-yarder Sunday against Kansas City, becoming the first back since Jim Brown in 1963 to have an average of more than 10 yards per rush after two weeks of a season. Against K.C., Glenn had a key block on the opening touchdown, a short pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Scott Chandler, and a few minutes later sprung Spiller on his first touchdown run of the day, a five-yarder, with a crushing block. And on the third scoring drive by the Bills, Glenn made a block to help spring Spiller for 27. Not bad for the 41st pick in the draft, starting as a rookie at the toughest spot on the line.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/09/17/cordy-gets-some-national-pub/

I think Fitz is kind of like Jake Delhomme. If you build a great roster around him you can win some games. I feel that if you trade Fitz for Aaron Rodgers, the bills would have been as good as the Packers were this year and the Packers would have been as bad as the bills were this year. So in summary, getting a good QB is the best way to fix the bills problems.

i think this is about right. perhaps id throw a little bit of the '08 chad pennington in there in that defenses dont worry about his long ball so it shortens the field but as long as hes reading defenses well and gets the ball out the team could be playoff (though not sb) caliber

as ive said all along, fitz is barely good enough to make the playoffs on a good team. i used to think he might even elevate his game to borderline franchise material with david lee behind him, but i think that ship has sailed. still, hes the best option the bills have and most likely they will stick with him until they feel their new draft pick is ready

like it or not, official Meathead the Geek® odds on fitz are as follows:

62.2% - begins next season as the starter

30.3% - outside veteran is added and starts

7.5% - rookie draft pick starts

If Maronne does not want Fitz, and I have no idea if that is true or not...But for the sake of this argument...IF...It's not going to matter what his options are for this coming season...He'll view them as a step forward...Fitz's fate in Buffalo will depend on Maronne and Hackett...But I don't think it's a slam dunk whatsoever...There have been no votes of confidence for Fitz whatsoever by the two new guys...Hackett commented already that it's completely up in the air right now...When asked about Fitz Hackett said:

“I think right now I have to continue to evaluate. I have to see what everything is across the board. Watching him, watching all the other quarterbacks out there, watching all the draft guys, that’s really what I’m doing right now. I’m trying to look and get the best evaluation on everybody.”

It's WAY up in the air right now...But I have a feeling they will be aggressive in trying to do better than Fitz...And it's JMO, but I think Maronne and Hackett believe they can do exactly that... B-)

I think two different things are being conflated here:

1) whether Marrone wants to go with Fitz, or whether he wants to look hard to bring in rookie or FA QB(s)

2) whether Fitz will be cut this spring

Marrone can and should be aggressive about trying to find a better QB. Every team that doesn't have a bona fide top-10 QB should be aggressive about trying to find a better QB. When it comes time to cut the roster to 53, do I think Fitz will be on it? Very likely not. He may well be TJax to the Bill's version of Wilson and Flynn - in fact, I'd like to see that.

Do I think he'll be cut this spring? I think people who expect that don't understand salary cap and negotiation. Fitz is the only signed QB on the roster right now. Cutting him would have miniscule effect on the salary cap, so it doesn't help us sign Byrd and Levitre. But cutting him would leave the Bills with 0 QB on the roster, basically signalling to any FA we negotiate with "name your price, 'cuz who are their alternatives?".

That would be silly. Fitz is servicable. He can play in the NFL, not at an elite level, but well enough to win when leashed (tied to a strong run game) and given a better D. The right strategy is for Marrone and Hackett to continue to say they're watching and evaluating and it's all up in the air, even if they actually watched Fitz film with a puke bucket next to their chair and can't wait to send for the Turk. They have nothing to gain by telegraphing that opinion, and potential leverage in FA negotiations to gain by keeping their chin into their chest.

Perhaps you missed the games where Glenn was stonewalling his assignment, driving his opponent into the ground, or leading the way on sweeps/screens. Without going with an in-depth analysis, I can give you 10 LTs that he clearly outperformed:

Miami - J. Martin

Philadelphia - K. Dunlap

Chicago - J. Webb

Detroit - J. Backus

Packers - M. Newhouse

Jacksonville - E. Monroe

Indianapolis - A. Castonzo

Atlanta - S. Baker

Kansas City - B. Albert

Arizona - L. Brown

If you were to break down tape and study other LTs in the league, you'd find Glenn sitting comfortably in the top half, with the potential to be a perennial probowler. I remember Peter King recognizing his play as early as week 2 of the NFL season!

http://blogs.buffalo...e-national-pub/

I'm not saying Glenn is a bottom-ten LT, but Eugene Monroe is an excellent LT. He's certainly not in the bottom-ten.