Darrelle Revis traded to Bucs

BRAWNDO

really? That's the only one you'll "grant" me? As if I needed anyone's approval but how is the Jets salary cap no longer being an issue a good thing for the Bills? How is the Jets having xx more picks in the draft a good thing for the Bills? How is Revis not being a malcontent and causing camp issues every single season good for the Bills?

You severely underestimate how much the jets losing Revis is going to affect them. They lost the best CB in the league, and arguably one of the best defenders in the league. The guy shuts down half the field, and allows a both safeties to focus on the other half. I don't care that they got a draft pick, because there's virtually way that the player they take at #13 will do more for the Jets than Revis will do for the Buccs, or Revis would have for the Jets (over the next 4-5 years, the length of a 1st round contract). I'll take a proven player over a draft pick any day of the week.

From the Buccs side, they had a ton of cap space, so there was more than enough room for Revis. They also play 6 games against Brees, Ryan, Newton, Steve Smith, White/Jones, and Colston. You don't think Revis is going to help? Ridiculous. Now versus the Falcons, they can single up Revis on Jones or White, and let a safety double down on the other. Plus, Revis is infinitely better than whatever CB the Buccs would have taken at #13.

Edited by Ramius

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets made out great, they were in salary cap trouble. They get a 1st rd 13th pick + 3rd or 4th rd on condition. They can draft a good CB for much less. I wish the bills could get a similar deal for a more healthy Byrd.

If i were Tampa ,I would have traded up in the draft to get Milliner for a lot less money.

Edited by independent

Because excluding the last one, those things are a trade off. Do I want Revis on the Jets or the Jets to have more draft picks? I want the Jets to have the picks because Revis is way better. Do I want the Jets paying Revis 16 mil versus two guys at 8 mil or three guys at 5.3 mil? I think I want the Jets paying the two or the three guys because Revis is that good. The malcontent stuff has never affected his play on the team or the field unless you believe, which I don't, his holdout led to an injury in week two of 2010 (why wouldnt he injure it in week one?) The jets, since Ryan took over, have always been like that. Last year it bit them in the ass for the first time. Other years, IMO, they overachieved.

fyi, I wasn't getting smartassy with my comments. It was just the way it came out.

You believe what you think and I believe different altogether. Personally I've never thought Revis was as good as people make him out to be. And like I said, it doesn't really matter to us because Stevie always has success against him. But that's my opinion. I just don't see it being a trade off that he's gone. Just think it benefits the Jets a ton with having extra cash and draft picks considering they have just as many holes as we do. Maybe more.

Its crazy of me to think that I can change your opinion on the subject but those are my opinions. Time will tell how it affects the Jets and time will tell how good Revis rebounds from his serious injury.

You severely underestimate how much the jets losing Revis is going to affect them. They lost the best CB in the league, and arguably one of the best defenders in the league. The guy shuts down half the field, and allows a both safeties to focus on the other half. I don't care that they got a draft pick, because there's virtually way that the player they take at #13 will do more for the Jets than Revis will do for the Buccs, or Revis would have for the Jets (over the next 4-5 years, the length of a 1st round contract). I'll take a proven player over a draft pick any day of the week.

From the Buccs side, they had a ton of cap space, so there was more than enough room for Revis. They also play 6 games against Brees, Ryan, Newton, Steve Smith, White/Jones, and Colston. You don't think Revis is going to help? Ridiculous. Now versus the Falcons, they can single up Revis on Jones or White, and let a safety double down on the other. Plus, Revis is infinitely better than whatever CB the Buccs would have taken at #13.

I respect y

I respect your opinion but its just that. An opinion. See above to my response to Kelly. It's crazy of me to think I can change your mind so I won't try anymore. Again, time will tell.

Jets made out great, they were in salary cap trouble. They get a 1st rd 13th pick + 3rd or 4th rd on condition. They can draft a good CB for much less. I wish the bills could get a similar deal for a more healthy Byrd.

If i were Tampa ,I would have traded up in the draft to get Milliner for a lot less money.

this. If we could get that for Byrd, half this board would be calling it a major deal. Yet when it happens to another team, its horrible for them and great for the Bills.

fyi, I wasn't getting smartassy with my comments. It was just the way it came out.

You believe what you think and I believe different altogether. Personally I've never thought Revis was as good as people make him out to be. And like I said, it doesn't really matter to us because Stevie always has success against him. But that's my opinion. I just don't see it being a trade off that he's gone. Just think it benefits the Jets a ton with having extra cash and draft picks considering they have just as many holes as we do. Maybe more.

Its crazy of me to think that I can change your opinion on the subject but those are my opinions. Time will tell how it affects the Jets and time will tell how good Revis rebounds from his serious injury.

I respect y

I respect your opinion but its just that. An opinion. See above to my response to Kelly. It's crazy of me to think I can change your mind so I won't try anymore. Again, time will tell.

this. If we could get that for Byrd, half this board would be calling it a major deal. Yet when it happens to another team, its horrible for them and great for the Bills.

Ultimately, what they do with the pick will be the biggest thing. If they package it for a great qb, we get shafted by them getting that guy, AND us missing him. If they take anything else (including a qb that fails), we obviously come out ahead.

Ultimately, what they do with the pick will be the biggest thing. If they package it for a great qb, we get shafted by them getting that guy, AND us missing him. If they take anything else (including a qb that fails), we obviously come out ahead.

ill agree with this. Nicely done. It almost means nothing at this point until the draft and we see who they get and maybe a few years down the road. If they end up with busts for those picks then it doesn't matter.

Well they played pretty well without him last year and finished as the 2nd best team against the pass. It's a big loss but it doesn't kill them. I'd say it was a good move for both sides.

A couple of reactions: the Bucs made out like bandits here. More importantly, though, I now think that the Jets will take a QB with one of their first round picks. The new GM has nothing invested in Sanchez and won't want to be saddled with him as the starter.

The big question is: Does the Jets and Bills have their hopes pinned on the same QB ? This will be a fascinating draft to watch. Can't wait until Thursday Night (Sorry, Friday morning for me!!!)

A couple of reactions: the Bucs made out like bandits here. More importantly, though, I now think that the Jets will take a QB with one of their first round picks. The new GM has nothing invested in Sanchez and won't want to be saddled with him as the starter.

I agree. I think that this forces the Bills hand a little bit in terms of a trade down. If they are dead set on QB I think that they take him at 8 to avoid the Jets taking him.

I doubt it. The new GM is setting Rex up to fail on purpose. No way he throws a prized rookie into the sinking ship. Jets will rebuild their lines and Defense.

I see Eddie Lacy as an option for the Jets now. The have no RB worth a damn

Really? Gave up a top 15 pick for a guy who didn't play muxh last year due to an ACL injury--and they are going to pay 96 million? If he plays every game, that's a huge chunk.

The Jets made out for sure. 2 top 15 picks now, unloaded a future huge salary anchor and said goodbye who never really gave a sh**t about the Jets anyway. The best defender in the league? Not even close. With the way QBs are using little guys in the slot/slants and big TEs across the middle, shutting down a single receiver deep isn't as meaningful as it once was.

After Revis has more time to consider that no guaranteed money clause, expect another holdout next year.

I think it''s a good trade for both teams. The Bucs have the worst pass defense in pass happy NFL and now on paper have a great secondary. The Jets used Revis for 5 or 6 years and got a 1st rounder for him. Very rarely do guys improve with age, especially coming off an injury. The Jets aren't a shutdown corner away from being a good team. Now it depends on how they use the pick. Hopefully, they got a Vernon Gholston pick up their sleeve.

Really? Gave up a top 15 pick for a guy who didn't play muxh last year due to an ACL injury--and they are going to pay 96 million? If he plays every game, that's a huge chunk.

The Jets made out for sure. 2 top 15 picks now, unloaded a future huge salary anchor and said goodbye who never really gave a sh**t about the Jets anyway. The best defender in the league? Not even close. With the way QBs are using little guys in the slot/slants and big TEs across the middle, shutting down a single receiver deep isn't as meaningful as it once was.

After Revis has more time to consider that no guaranteed money clause, expect another holdout next year.

ACL tears aren't crippling injuries anymore. Revis should be perfectly fine, and when he's healthy he's the best CB in the game. I live in NY and see too many Jets games. Despite what you say above, he's the real deal, and most experts in the NFL agree.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/08/11/should-they-pay-or-should-he-go-darrelle-revis/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/25/shutdown-corners-richard-sherman-v-darrelle-revis/

He was terrific from 2009-11 and was off to a very strong start in 2012. His 2009 season was one of the greatest CB seasons in the history of the NFL.

There is about a 50 percent bust rate for all first rounders, and the Bucs have ensured that their first rounder (Revis) will not only not be a bust, but will make their terrible secondary significantly better.

As for the presumed holdout, don't count on it. The contract doesn't really allow him to do it - it's six years and has no "band-aid" feature that works in his favor.

I doubt it. The new GM is setting Rex up to fail on purpose. No way he throws a prized rookie into the sinking ship. Jets will rebuild their lines and Defense.

Interesting. You may be right.

The Jets are scuttling the ship and everything points to Rex (and Sanchez) taking the fall for it. I wouldn't say that necessarily means they won't draft a QB this year, but this year's class being what it is and being in the midst of blowing it all up, they could just as easily wait until next year to address QB and treat fans to another year of the knee-slapping Sanchez Follies.

ACL tears aren't crippling injuries anymore. Revis should be perfectly fine, and when he's healthy he's the best CB in the game. I live in NY and see too many Jets games. Despite what you say above, he's the real deal, and most experts in the NFL agree.

https://www.profootb...darrelle-revis/

https://www.profootb...darrelle-revis/

He was terrific from 2009-11 and was off to a very strong start in 2012. His 2009 season was one of the greatest CB seasons in the history of the NFL.

There is about a 50 percent bust rate for all first rounders, and the Bucs have ensured that their first rounder (Revis) will not only not be a bust, but will make their terrible secondary significantly better.

As for the presumed holdout, don't count on it. The contract doesn't really allow him to do it - it's six years and has no "band-aid" feature that works in his favor.

Interesting. You may be right.

Even if he is still "the best CB in the league" he is overpaid. Look at Asamougha. Guy was also recently described a the best CB in the league. He's now on his 3rd team and working, relatively, for peanuts. The Jests D was 20th in points allowed/5th in yards allowed with him in 2011. They were 20th in points allowed/8th in yards in 2012 without him. The Eagles were pretty sure they were getting a shutdown corner when then unloaded for Asamougha. He proves the folly of tying so much cap in a CB. If the Jests pick up a better QB and a top CB (or even a RB), they are already a better team without Revis.

And Revis has already shown that it doesn't matter what is in his contract or how fresh it is for him to mention holding out.

Even if he is still "the best CB in the league" he is overpaid. Look at Asamougha. Guy was also recently described a the best CB in the league. He's now on his 3rd team and working, relatively, for peanuts. The Jests D was 20th in points allowed/5th in yards allowed with him in 2011. They were 20th in points allowed/8th in yards in 2012 without him. The Eagles were pretty sure they were getting a shutdown corner when then unloaded for Asamougha. He proves the folly of tying so much cap in a CB. If the Jests pick up a better QB and a top CB (or even a RB), they are already a better team without Revis.

And Revis has already shown that it doesn't matter what is in his contract or how fresh it is for him to mention holding out.

forget it Weo. You'll never win. I've tried. Just let everyone believe whatever they want. Let them think its somehow good for the Bills too that the Jets now have essentially 3 first round picks am more cap space.

Let them believe that any contract makes any difference to Revis and his ability/inability to hold out. If there is no guaranteed money, and the Bucs can just cut him, that's what he would want because he's a malcontent and would either be seeking a new team or even more money.

Stevie is the best WR in the league against Revis. He doesn't scare me at all. In fact even without Stevie he doesn't scare me. He's over rated.

But again, you'll never convince anyone here otherwise. It's gonna suck when the Jets take who we want on this draft, then on top of it still have extra picks laying around.

You neglected to mention that they were first in the league in both yards and points allowed in his best season (2009) and 6th in yards/3rd in points in 2010. Opposing QBs had a 58.8 percent rating against the Jets in 2009.

Also, according to Pro Football Reference's measure, he was the most valuable player in the league in 2009 (approximate value measure). I know a lot of people here like to wish away stats, but I'm not one of them:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/av_year_by_year.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

Another angle to this that I worry a bit about (more of a long term thing), is does this give the jets ammo to make a move for a trade down this year and then move up in the 2014 draft to secure a franchise guy for the new Coach presuming the Jets dump Rex which a lot of us see as highly possible.