Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

What the deal w/ Blackhawks? Should they change that one too? It sounds like it could be racist. I don't know anything about that term.

Actually named in honor of a specific person when you trace the lineage of the name. Apples to oranges with the term redskin in my opinion.

From wiki:

The team's first owner was coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin, who outbid grain magnate James E. Norris for the franchise. McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.[3] This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois.[3] McLaughlin evidently named the hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What % of people do you think give a crap about the Buffalo Bills other than us fan-atics?

I think you missed the point.

On this site, where this thread is posted, only 4% of the people on this site seem to care about this great offense. Yet from only 4% of the people of this site finding it offensive, there has spawned a 30 page thread on this site.

Your reply to me seems to indicate that you might suffer from a reading comprehension problem.

On this site, where this thread is posted, only 4% of the people on this site seem to care about this great offense. Yet from only 4% of the people of this site finding it offensive, there has spawned a 30 page thread on this site.

Your reply to me seems to indicate that you might suffer from a reading comprehension problem.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll give it all of the consideration it merits.

Actually ~30% said "Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example." and another 12% "Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change" It's all right up at the top for anyone to look at....

I don't think "only 4% of the people on this site seem to care about this" is at all accurate.

Actually ~30% said "Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example." and another 12% "Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change" It's all right up at the top for anyone to look at....

I don't think "only 4% of the people on this site seem to care about this" is at all accurate.

That was the only option that implied strong self interest in the poll.

But I think the 30% who thought it was derogatory explains why the 30 page thread. I was one of them, and I care, and have posted a few times... which I think is what you were questioning.

to be fair, 4% is a pretty solid number considering our board, as far as i know, isnt overwhelmingly native american and also has a lot of want to be macho tough guys that rage against being PC (not meant to offend or characterize all that are on that side of the argument, but naturally a football board tends to have a heavier helping of those than a general sampling id guess)

Edited by NoSaint

to be fair, 4% is a pretty solid number considering our board, as far as i know, isnt overwhelmingly native american and also has a lot of want to be macho tough guys that rage against being PC (not meant to offend or characterize all that are on that side of the argument, but naturally a football board tends to have a heavier helping of those than a general sampling id guess)

Macho guys? Native Americans?

This guy (far left) has no issue with the DC football team name....

large_village%20people.png

What the deal w/ Blackhawks? Should they change that one too? It sounds like it could be racist. I don't know anything about that term.

The original owner named the team after his Blackhawk Army Divison (86th Infantry) from WWI.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/86th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

Actually, the Blackhawks... Originally Black Hawks. They do kinda handle the whole thing like the Illini do down state... In a more repectful way. I am not sure if it rubs some the wrong way with Native head logo?

And in a hilarious twist, the man that daniel snyder used (previously cited in this thread) who claimed to be an indian chief and that the word was a sign of endearment.... just some guy. not 100% inuit, but apparently 25% aleut.

his arrest records do show "chief" as an AKA, as some friends call him that.

http://deadspin.com/redskins-indian-chief-defender-not-a-chief-probably-590973565

• 2 weeks later...