Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bills should change their name. My name is Bill and they have been so bad for over a decade it is derogatory towards me. Seriously, I think the Redskins should change their name, I personally am not the sensitive type, but I can understand Native Americans having a problem with it. If there were a team called Black Skins or Yellow Skins, do you think that would go over well?

I'm Italian and my skin is Brown, but you don't see me getting upset with Cleveland.

(That was a joke. Relax.)

I'm surprised no one has posted this in here yet, but Leonard Pitts had an editorial in the paper on Sunday about this.

http://www.heraldonl...he-curse-of.htm

The appropriately named Mr. Pitts, who sees every issue as a matter of pigmentation, is not worth posting.

Joe Theismann Stands by Redskins Name

Washington Redskins Super Bowl–winning quarterback Joe Theismann weighed in on the controversy surrounding his former team’s name. “I was very proud to play for the Washington Redskins, and I did it to honor Native people in that regard,” he said in an interview.

“I can just tell you that when I put that uniform on, and I put that helmet on with the Redskin logo on it, I felt like I was representing more than the Washington Redskins, I was representing the great Native American nations that exist in this country,” Theismann told South Dakota’s Argus Leader newspaper.

He also recalled a recent visit with an American Indian boy in a nearby hospital, whose family supported the name. “And as I shook his hand the father said to me ‘You’re a Redskin,’ and he said it in a very complimentary way, which was very humbling to me,” Theismann said.

Theismann said a decision to change the team’s name is “totally up to” Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder. Snyder has stated he will “never” change the name.

That is some seriously funny schitt right there.

“I can just tell you that when I put that uniform on, and I put that helmet on with the Redskin logo on it, I felt like I was representing more than the Washington Redskins, I was representing the great Native American nations that exist in this country,” Theismann told South Dakota’s Argus Leader newspaper.

Looks like SOMEONE isn't going to get a Tim Graham Christmas card this year.

I'm surprised no one has posted this in here yet, but Leonard Pitts had an editorial in the paper on Sunday about this.

http://www.heraldonl...he-curse-of.htm

That's actually really badly shoehorned 'logic' in an attempt to justify his preconceived conclusion.

I say one cannot arbitrarily decide that a word - especially an old and bloodstained word - suddenly means something other than what it always has. I say that, while language does change over time, it doesn't do so because a few of us want it to or tell it to. And I say that if I call you an "idiot," but say that "idiot" now means "genius," you will be no less insulted.

His whole argument hinges on the concept that only “a few of us” are using these so-called slurs in a way that isn’t intended to offend, and thus the meaning of such words hasn’t evolved. Yet in the prior paragraph he’s upset because of years of widespread use of the word '!@#$' by blacks in a familiar or joking way. Based on my observations of popular culture and black people, I'd say that it's more like a few million black people using ‘!@#$’ in that way, which would then fit his own definition for the evolution of language. And that's for a word that is only a few decades removed from its habitual use as a racial slur in open society. Now compare that to the word 'Redskin', which is so archaic that few if any living people have ever used or even heard the word used AT ALL, other than in reference to the football team. Hence the conclusion that someone who claims to be horribly offended by a word that hasn't been used by anyone in any of our lifetimes is well, quite silly.

Edited by KD in CT

That's actually really badly shoehorned 'logic' in an attempt to justify his preconceived conclusion.

Exactly. I remember a great scene in the movie "Rush Hour," when Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker walk into a bar frequented by blacks, and Tucker is walking past everyone, shaking hands saying "How ya doin', my nigga." He leaves Chan at the bar while he goes in the back, and Chan smiles at the bartender and unknowingly mimics "How you do-in mah nigga?" and the bartender yells "What the hell did you just call me?"

Exactly. I remember a great scene in the movie "Rush Hour," when Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker walk into a bar frequented by blacks, and Tucker is walking past everyone, shaking hands saying "How ya doin', my nigga." He leaves Chan at the bar while he goes in the back, and Chan smiles at the bartender and unknowingly mimics "How you do-in mah nigga?" and the bartender yells "What the hell did you just call me?"

So you're the guy who watched Rush Hour?

@ByTimGraham

Feel free to call Ted Nolan the R-word and see what happens http://blogs.buffalo...ef=bmh …

Note to Tim: LET. IT. GO. You can count the number of people who genuinely care on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

So you're the guy who watched Rush Hour?

In fairness, that scene is the only thing I remember from that movie. But yes, that was me. :lol:

Note to Tim: LET. IT. GO. You can count the number of people who genuinely care on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

Oh come on, he can get six columns out of this before he has to plug his brain in again and think of something else to write. It's almost as good as replacement refs or Brett Favre!

Thank you. My next poll will be whether or not we need to change the word "engine." Watch this site explode then.

The derogatory term is actually spelled much differently as: Injun. It sounds different than the word engine... Close, but different.

BTW... I went to West Seneca West... We were the Indians or Fighting Injuns... Even the Lady Injuns... Ouch! Has that since been changed?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The derogatory term is actually spelled much differently as: Injun. It sounds different than the word engine... Close, but different.

BTW... I went to West Seneca West... We were the Indians or Fighting Injuns... Even the Lady Injuns... Ouch! Has that since been changed?

Yes, to be less politically incorrect, West changed their name to the Redskins.

@ProFootballTalk

Another high school ditches the @Redskins name, after 87 years of using it http://wp.me/p14QSB-9cBF

Poll: ‘Redskins’ may be offensive, but team name shouldn’t change: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/washington-redskins-offensive-change-name-washington-post/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz