Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it seems you care. in fact, it seems you find it offensive and are voicing your opinion... just like everyone else including the people you are disparaging for doing just that.

Bread and circuses my friend, bread and circuses. But keep worrying about the important things. I appreciate ya'll looking out for us. BTW, I'm 1/4 American Indian.

Bread and circuses my friend, bread and circuses. But keep worrying about the important things. I appreciate ya'll looking out for us. BTW, I'm 1/4 American Indian.

if you think this is a #1 priority for nearly anyone... well... i dont know.... apparently discussing anything thats not on the top of the priority list (on a football message board nonetheless) means you cant see the big picture....

Different franchises for crying out loud. The franchise stays the same, the fan base stays the same, nothing changes but the name. Zero impact on the value of the franchise.

Sure. Tell that to a perspective buyer. Im sure he/she would pay 1.56bil for the Washington "Pelicans" or whatever other pathetic idea they come up with. The buyer gets a different name, different colors, different fan base, a stadium with red & gold seats, and a long history dating back to 2013.

Sure. Tell that to a perspective buyer. Im sure he/she would pay 1.56bil for the Washington "Pelicans" or whatever other pathetic idea they come up with. The buyer gets a different name, different colors, different fan base, a stadium with red & gold seats, and a long history dating back to 2013.

With a prospective name change, the franchise could involve the fan base with the name and logo design. They and the NFL would profit handsomely with new merchandise sales from all over the world. It would increase the overall value of the franchise IMO.

With a prospective name change, the franchise could involve the fan base with the name and logo design. They and the NFL would profit handsomely with new merchandise sales from all over the world. It would increase the overall value of the franchise IMO.

Right. But involving the fan base: great for community relations, TERRIBLE for logo concepts.

There is no question that a Washington franchise would see an initial spike in merchandise sales. A huge investment and gamble from a business perspective comes first.

I still disagree that the overall value would increase. Im not saying their value would decrease to the level of a Jacksonville Jaguars but I would say more like the Houston Texans.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but this is self serving grandstanding by Graham. He has spent his entire career covering sports and now, because this story is in the news, he has suddenly come to the conclusion that the name Redskins is derogatory and he announces to all of us that he will no longer utter this word?

Get over yourself--you're a sports writer. This is such nonsense-spare us the santimony and write your sports pieces.

Holy crap, we actually agree... LOL I should write a piece about him and call it "The Tale of Sir Robin" :D

This came out today as well... only legislation will move this Rock of Gibraltar! There is hope yet for PC opposition forces...!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9375313/roger-goodell-defends-washington-redskins-name

Holy crap, we actually agree... LOL I should write a piece about him and call it "The Tale of Sir Robin" :D

This came out today as well... only legislation will move this Rock of Gibraltar! There is hope yet for PC opposition forces...!

http://espn.go.com/n...n-redskins-name

Previously posted via CBS link. Never knew Goodell did standup. :rolleyes:

Damn, you're cynical. People are unable to change or evolve over time?

Come on--change over time? Why would Graham come out now with this grand announcement? It's just coincidence that he now feels this way and it's also a big story in the press? He wasn't enlightened...until now?

There is no way you believe this either, so why call me the cynic? TG is the cynic with that whopper he put out there.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but this is self serving grandstanding by Graham. He has spent his entire career covering sports and now, because this story is in the news, he has suddenly come to the conclusion that the name Redskins is derogatory and he announces to all of us that he will no longer utter this word?

Get over yourself--you're a sports writer. This is such nonsense-spare us the sanctimony and write your sports pieces.

http://espn.go.com/n...n-redskins-name

Tim Graham gets a lot of flack around here because of The Great 2009 TSW Meltdown, and deservedly so.

But even for those who didn't bear witness to his behavior then, the ways he's conducted himself in the paper, on Twitter and everywhere else have only reinforced what most of us already knew to be true while introducing everyone else to his intolerable, churlish immaturity.

Tim Graham gets a lot of flack around here because of The Great 2009 TSW Meltdown, and deservedly so.

But even for those who didn't bear witness to his behavior then, the ways he's conducted himself in the paper, on Twitter and everywhere else have only reinforced what most of us already knew to be true while introducing everyone else to his intolerable, churlish immaturity.

I guess I didn't have as much heartache with him leaving because he couldn't handle a couple of posters than I did with people actually trying to defend him, as if he was Grantland Rice or George Plimpton and was severely wronged. I could not believe that the equivalent of a stubbed toe could cause someone to cry bloody murder!

Damn, you're cynical. People are unable to change or evolve over time?

You mean like when a person gives something to someone, then changes his mind and asks for it back?? What was that called again ... ???

You mean like when a person gives something to someone, then changes his mind and asks for it back?? What was that called again ... ???

You mean like when the US Government gave certain lands to Native Americans only to renege on the treaty and move them somewhere else.

Indian Giver means exactly the opposite of what you thought....Know your History!

You mean like when the US Government gave certain lands to Native Americans only to renege on the treaty and move them somewhere else.

Indian Giver means exactly the opposite of what you thought....Know your History!

As long as we get our $50 million/year.

The phrase originated, according to researcher David Wilton, in a cultural misunderstanding that arose when Europeans first encountered Native Americans on arriving in North America in the 15th century. Europeans thought they were receiving gifts from Native Americans, while the Native Americans believed they were engaged in bartering: this resulted in the Europeans finding Native American behavior ungenerous and insulting.

It's not "just" a PC issue, particularly when your original owner fought integration and was the last NFL team to do so. - http://www.thenation...-redskins-owner

He was also a stone bigot. At the time, the Redskins were the southern-most team in the NFL, and Marshall marketed his team to a white Southern audience by playing Dixie before games and saying proudly, “We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites.

Edited by LynchMob23

An easy name change could just be to shorten if to skins then over time it could migrate to the foreskins. Although this might be offensive to those that belive in its removal or lead to an increase in Mohels attending the game.

By the way in the interests of political correctness there are some countries in Africa that will need to change their name.

I mean of course Guinea and New Guinea as the countries name is offensive to my Italian mobster heritage. Deniro make me well up with sadness every time he utters the G word.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I guess I didn't have as much heartache with him leaving because he couldn't handle a couple of posters than I did with people actually trying to defend him, as if he was Grantland Rice or George Plimpton and was severely wronged. I could not believe that the equivalent of a stubbed toe could cause someone to cry bloody murder!

Totally with you. I felt the same way about Lori. (runs and hides)