Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth would they have needed to change the lyrics when everyone knows they were written as a way of honoring the heritage of a fine people?

GO BILLS!!!

Great find....The history of this song chronicles the deplorable history of what this franchise has stood for. Roger Goodell looks like even more of an ass in light of this.

Unless you're the NAACP. :doh:

Think first. Then opine.

I thought about that, believe me. I'm sure their decision to keep the name is tied to marketing/money, as well.

Unless you're the NAACP. :doh:

Think first. Then opine.

He's correct - the NAACP kept the "colored" part as a reminder of what they were fighting against.

Also, they focus now on civil rights of all - regardless of skin color, orientation, etc. And if you're into keeping track of those sort of things, their current president is white.

It's an issue, it has been an issue...college teams (Ilike Bonaventure) have done away with the names. No-brainer...find another name. I don't see any need to p-off native americans and we all know this is going to come up again and again, year after year, until they change the name. Let's skip some of the drama and change the name now.

In case anyone has been keeping track, the word "Redskin" Hasn't been used as a racial slur in more than 2 centuries, If someone called me a brown skin, I'd call them astute. I call my friend "red" because he gets red from the sun in the summer, should he get enraged at the thought and take it as an individualized derogatory statement? If he did, that would be a little nonsensical. Comparing this to the infamous "N" word or any real world racial slur meant to be a direct insult just doesn't hold up. All people have to go on are some crappy John Wayne movies from the 50's as reference to whether or not it was used as a derogatory statement. One of my best friends here where I live now is 100% native american, and is not a fan of the Redskins, but has a jersey because he likes the warrior image on the helmet. His entire family has never even heard the team name used as a derogatory statement against his culture, so I have to ask, who really has the issue, and why? Is it just because, or is it that some asshat called you a redskin in the 5th grade?

If my isolated point of view on this is way off base, and there are far more people out there insulting native americans on a daily basis, then my apologies, but to me, and from where I see it, I think it's a big to-do about something that just isn't used in the context people think it is, or more appropriately, was.

OHHHH BTW.... GET THIS!!! My buddy actually hates the term "Indian"... YES.... WHY you ask? He's not from India of course, and thinks that's inappropriate.

I agree.

Like calling someone from Japan Chinese...

Edited by Homey D. Clown

If any native Americans are offended by the team name, simply put, they should not be. No offence is intended.

As for "political correctness", I despise it. In many respects, the KKKs agenda was politically correct, for example temperance.

Lots of crazy notions were politically correct in Germany in the 30s. Political correctness often has this element of coercion and oppression. To the politically correct, I would say "just get out of my face already".

Changing the team name would involve a failure to recognize that society has in reality moved well beyond the attitudes and conventions that most of us would consider objectionable and unacceptable today. And for the outliers that remain anchored in the past, there is probably nothing that is going to change them for the better anyway. They have in any event been left behind and will eventually be no more than a speck in our rear view mirror.

I'm Franco Italian, and I could care less if Jerry renamed his team the Dallas Degoboys or if the Red Legs became the Frogs Legs. I'm not offended by "Bills Mafia".

Like the poet says " if the sun refuse to shine, I don't mind. If the hippies cut off their hair, I don't care".

If any native Americans are offended by the team name, simply put, they should not be. No offence is intended.

As for "political correctness", I despise it. In many respects, the KKKs agenda was politically correct, for example temperance.

Lots of crazy notions were politically correct in Germany in the 30s. Political correctness often has this element of coercion and oppression. To the politically correct, I would say "just get out of my face already".

Changing the team name would involve a failure to recognize that society has in reality moved well beyond the attitudes and conventions that most of us would consider objectionable and unacceptable today. And for the outliers that remain anchored in the past, there is probably nothing that is going to change them for the better anyway. They have in any event been left behind and will eventually be no more than a speck in our rear view mirror.

I'm Franco Italian, and I could care less if Jerry renamed his team the Dallas Degoboys or if the Red Legs became the Frogs Legs. I'm not offended by "Bills Mafia".

Like the poet says " if the sun refuse to shine, I don't mind. If the hippies cut off their hair, I don't care".

Pretty presumptuous and rather arrogant of you to tell a group of people who feel aggrieved by the name how they should feel.

Hey, man, sorry I called your wife a whore. Was she offended? She shouldn't be, because you see, I call all women whores -- no offence is intended.

Pretty presumptuous and rather arrogant of you to tell a group of people who feel aggrieved by the name how they should feel.

Well you see it's because I don't think they should be aggrieved.

Hey, man, sorry I called your wife a whore. Was she offended? She shouldn't be, because you see, I call all women whores -- no offence is intended.

Judging from your comment I would say that you are nothing more than a speck in my rear view mirror.

Well you see it's because I don't think they should be aggrieved.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But they are sophisticated enough to formulate their own opinions and determine how they feel about the issue irrespective of what you think. Again I say it's arrogance on your part.

Judging from your comment I would say that you are nothing more than a speck in my rear view mirror.

That's a relief, since it implies you and your neanderthal mentality are far away from me.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But they are sophisticated enough to formulate their own opinions and determine how they feel about the issue irrespective of what you think. Again I say it's arrogance on your part.

Well you know I'm not sure all native Americans feel that way about it.

That's a relief, since it implies you and your neanderthal mentality are far away from me.

....zzzzzzzzz...