Notre Dame v. Alabama Game Thread

BobbyC81

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling BS on this one. Alabama played a great game last night, but let's not get carried away. Notre Dame beat 5 teams that were ranked in the top 25 this year. They didn't play well last night and there are many reasons for that. Not the least of which was the terrible officiating early in the game. With the score 7-0, Notre Dame threw a pass for what should have been a first down. That was taken away and they were forced to punt. On the ensuing punt, the Alabama receiver clearly fumbled and Notre Dame recovered. Again, it was taken away by the refs.

The correct call was made. Did you even hear the announcers ask the official in the booth and on the air?

The fair catch signal was clearly made. The ND player was clearly within one yard of the receiver. The rest is moot.

The only questionable call was the catch for first down.

On the ensuing drive, Alabama scored again to put ND in a huge hole. If the refs hadn't taken away possession twice, ND may have scored to make it 7-7. It would have been a very different game.

And Gholson MAY HAVE gotten it picked. Or ND MAY HAVE scored a FG. Hell, maybe ND does score a TD.

Would that made the game very different? No. Stop kidding yourself.

Gholson is not Johnny Football. He's not Aaron Murray, or Mettenberg, or Bray, or Tyler Wilson, or Deynard Robinson, or AJ McCarron.

One score would not have greatly altered the dynamics of the game.

Alabama dominated last night, make no mistake about it, but it was one game and far from ND's best effort.

ND beat every team on it's schedule and five of those teams were ranked in the top 25. Alabama did not. Simple as that. Alabama dominated the game last night, but it was one game. ND got screwed repeatedly by the refs early on and it put them in a huge hole.

One call at most.

Bama. First 3 possessions = 3 straight TD's.

What put ND in a huge hole was the inability of ND defense stopping the freight train known as the Bama running game.

Clearly Alabama was the better team last night, but it in no way diminishes what ND did this year. If you think it does, then you don't know a thing about college football.

And this, we will agree on.

watched McCarron last night very closely for the first time. kid has tremendous pocket presence. quite mobile, and placed some balls where only his wr could get it. there where some long balls that would be nice to get back, but those are low percentage throws, and arms strength is not an issue. sign me up in 2014 for this kid

watched McCarron last night very closely for the first time. kid has tremendous pocket presence. quite mobile, and placed some balls where only his wr could get it. there where some long balls that would be nice to get back, but those are low percentage throws, and arms strength is not an issue. sign me up in 2014 for this kid

There will be a lot of good QBs available in the 2014 draft. Maybe we should not have been so quick to fire Gailey.

The correct call was made. Did you even hear the announcers ask the official in the booth and on the air?

The fair catch signal was clearly made. The ND player was clearly within one yard of the receiver. The rest is moot.

The only questionable call was the catch for first down.

And Gholson MAY HAVE gotten it picked. Or ND MAY HAVE scored a FG. Hell, maybe ND does score a TD.

Would that made the game very different? No. Stop kidding yourself.

Gholson is not Johnny Football. He's not Aaron Murray, or Mettenberg, or Bray, or Tyler Wilson, or Deynard Robinson, or AJ McCarron.

One score would not have greatly altered the dynamics of the game.

One call at most.

Bama. First 3 possessions = 3 straight TD's.

What put ND in a huge hole was the inability of ND defense stopping the freight train known as the Bama running game.

And this, we will agree on.

I did hear the official in the booth. Did you happen to hear his accent? Not buying that the ND player interfered with the FC. Just not buying it. And momentum plays a huge part in these games the officials took it away from ND and made it clear they would not be getting any calls. I have no issue with the fact that Alabama dominated. Just think they got a little help early on.

I did hear the official in the booth. Did you happen to hear his accent? Not buying that the ND player interfered with the FC. Just not buying it. And momentum plays a huge part in these games the officials took it away from ND and made it clear they would not be getting any calls. I have no issue with the fact that Alabama dominated. Just think they got a little help early on.

Refs miss calls in every game. Great teams overcome this. ND could have had every call go their way and still would not have had a chance in this game. These 2 teams didn't even look like they were in the same league. Put your foil hat down and step away.

Not to mention....I believe the official that was in the booth is in charge of NCAA officiating? Don't think he's going to state that his guy blew the call on national TV.

FWIW, don't have a dog in this fight...except wasting a couple hours last night.

Not to mention....I believe the official that was in the booth is in charge of NCAA officiating? Don't think he's going to state that his guy blew the call on national TV.

FWIW, don't have a dog in this fight...except wasting a couple hours last night.

He was the former head of officiating. And he was right. If you interfere with the catch, even if you don't touch him, it's a penalty. If that wasn't the case, you'd see special teamers running up to the fair catcher and waving their hands in his face so he couldn't see the ball.

He was the former head of officiating. And he was right. If you interfere with the catch, even if you don't touch him, it's a penalty. If that wasn't the case, you'd see special teamers running up to the fair catcher and waving their hands in his face so he couldn't see the ball.

yup. many said it early in this thread when it happened - it was a tough judgement call on a big play (no contact with the catcher, engaged with a blocker, late signal), but the enforcement of the rule there certainly wasnt out of line either. one sides fans were bound to walk away angry, doesnt mean they got it wrong though.

That Lacey dude would look really good in a Bills suit.

Yes he would, the cuts and the speed of that spin move on one of his touchdowns was impressive. Bama had players all over the field that would look good in a Bills uniform.

Cooper I knew about but I was surprised by McCarron to be honest. Not to mention a couple of DBs and Mosely. Oh and pretty much their entire o line.

Edited by agardin

Refs miss calls in every game. Great teams overcome this. ND could have had every call go their way and still would not have had a chance in this game. These 2 teams didn't even look like they were in the same league. Put your foil hat down and step away.

If you read any of what I have posted I completely agree that Alabama was clearly the better team. I have no issue with that. My point that you seem to be missing is that the officials set the tone early and it definitely had an effect. Not saying ND would have won or should have won. In fact just the opposite. What I am saying is that Alabama was good enough. They didn't need any help. But they got it anyway and it definitely affected the final score. Without the bad calls it probably would have been 28-14 instead of 42-14. I think everyone is heaping way to much praise on Alabama. My guess is that they will not go undefeated next year either. I personally did not believe ND would beat them. ND program is not there yet. Alabama is very strong and deserved to win. It doesn't change the fact that they go plenty of help early in the game and it made a differenc.

Nick Saban is the greatest football coach in the history of college football. Brian Kelly talks all that crap before the game and then gets his keester handed to him. Notre Dame was overrated anyway. They should have lost that game to Pittsburgh.

LOL.

If you read any of what I have posted I completely agree that Alabama was clearly the better team. I have no issue with that. My point that you seem to be missing is that the officials set the tone early and it definitely had an effect. Not saying ND would have won or should have won. In fact just the opposite. What I am saying is that Alabama was good enough. They didn't need any help. But they got it anyway and it definitely affected the final score. Without the bad calls it probably would have been 28-14 instead of 42-14. I think everyone is heaping way to much praise on Alabama. My guess is that they will not go undefeated next year either. I personally did not believe ND would beat them. ND program is not there yet. Alabama is very strong and deserved to win. It doesn't change the fact that they go plenty of help early in the game and it made a differenc.

LOL.

Yeah and if Bama hadn't gone into close-out the game mode and running down the play clock, they could have put up 60 points. That D was a joke.....

Yeah and if Bama hadn't gone into close-out the game mode and running down the play clock, they could have put up 60 points. That D was a joke.....

OK, you win. The 2012-13 Alabama football team is the greatest in the history of college football. Notre Dame should be happy that they were allowed to occupy the same field. Happy now?

OK, you win. The 2012-13 Alabama football team is the greatest in the history of college football. Notre Dame should be happy that they were allowed to occupy the same field. Happy now?

This isn't a slam on ND (if anything an excuse for their poor showing), but that bama team is the most powerful college team ive ever seen. Makes me think the real value in this draft will come from the less celebrated Georgia bulldogs given how they were able to play them straight up and not get dominated.

This isn't a slam on ND (if anything an excuse for their poor showing), but that bama team is the most powerful college team ive ever seen. Makes me think the real value in this draft will come from the less celebrated Georgia bulldogs given how they were able to play them straight up and not get dominated.

Alabama played an exceptional game last night. They did everything right. ND program is not quite there yet, but getting to the BCS Championship game this year was a good start. I'm just not buying into the hype. I think they played a great game against an inferior team. Plain and simple. They are a good team with good players and a good coach. Are they as good as people are hyping them to be? Meh, not buying it. A lot of these BCS "championship" games have been mismatches. This one proved no exception. It is the glaring flaw created by the NCAA in their system of determining a champion. Can't wait for the playoff system.