Notre Dame v. Alabama Game Thread

BobbyC81

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling BS on this one. Alabama played a great game last night, but let's not get carried away. Notre Dame beat 5 teams that were ranked in the top 25 this year. They didn't play well last night and there are many reasons for that. Not the least of which was the terrible officiating early in the game. With the score 7-0, Notre Dame threw a pass for what should have been a first down. That was taken away and they were forced to punt. On the ensuing punt, the Alabama receiver clearly fumbled and Notre Dame recovered. Again, it was taken away by the refs. On the ensuing drive, Alabama scored again to put ND in a huge hole. If the refs hadn't taken away possession twice, ND may have scored to make it 7-7. It would have been a very different game. Alabama dominated last night, make no mistake about it, but it was one game and far from ND's best effort.

First, you could be right that Notre Dame is vastly better than the way they played last night. It would be an easier argument if they had shown any sign of that, of course.

But, my comment was based on watching this game and not based on the final score or the point differential or a couple of bad breaks. The Irish got thoroughly dominated. They couldn't block, tackle, run, or catch. Their hyped defense was slow and, to quote Musburger, "roadkill". On offense, all they had was Golson to Daniels. They also lacked depth. In a way, I was being generous that they'd be a middling SEC team based on that performance. They proved they were nowhere close to beating the best of the SEC. It was men against boys in the trenches.

the fix is in crowd is really a bit much, isnt it?

Everyone knows that ND is those most hated program in the country. Clearly, the NCAA wants to see them fail. :rolleyes:

It's amazing more diplomas aren't rescinded in this country.

and this here is why I root against Notre Dame every chance I get...

#allaboutthefanbase

And this is why we don't care.

First, you could be right that Notre Dame is vastly better than the way they played last night. It would be an easier argument if they had shown any sign of that, of course.

But, my comment was based on watching this game and not based on the final score or the point differential or a couple of bad breaks. The Irish got thoroughly dominated. They couldn't block, tackle, run, or catch. Their hyped defense was slow and, to quote Musburger, "roadkill". On offense, all they had was Golson to Daniels. They also lacked depth. In a way, I was being generous that they'd be a middling SEC team based on that performance. They proved they were nowhere close to beating the best of the SEC. It was men against boys in the trenches.

I repeat, it was one game. I agree they got dominated. It does not mean that they can't beat anyone in the SEC. Alabama is the best team in the country and nobody else in the SEC can beat them either. Still calling BS.

I repeat, it was one game. I agree they got dominated. It does not mean that they can't beat anyone in the SEC. Alabama is the best team in the country and nobody else in the SEC can beat them either. Still calling BS.

Let's be clear, Notre Dame did not play anyone from the SEC until last night. Saying they could beat everyone except Alabama, who lost to Texas A&M (so much for no other SEC team beating Alabama), is speculation at best.

Let's look at their schedule. They blew out Navy and Wake Forest. They beat an overrated USC team that got stomped on in its bowl game and finished 7-6. Their quality wins against top 25 teams: Mich. St. (squeaked by TCU in its bowl), Michigan (lost to SEC), Stanford (won the Rose Bowl), and Oklahoma (got blown out in its bowl by Texas A&M). Purdue got blown out in its bowl game and finished 6-7. They needed 3 OTs to beat Pitt, and they finished 6-7 and got blown out by Ole Miss. Miami, BC, BYU? Those teams would've been akin to Kentucky in the SEC.

PS: Saying they'd have finished 8th or 9th in the SEC is saying that they might be able to beat some SEC schools. There are 12 schools in the SEC. To be a top SEC team, they'd have to run through not just the 2012 Alabama team but Texas A&M, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, LSU, and Vandy. All of those teams would have beaten the Notre Dame effort displayed last night. Which is what I said before.

They were undefeated and @oklahoma wasn't a military academy? @usc should've been bigger. They didn't play many big games but they won them all.

I do agree but those same people that had ND #1, they would tell you that Bama or Oregon would be big favorites in a head to head matchup (and we saw why last night). I don't think we should dissuade college teams from playing good competition knowing 1 loss and you are out of it (Oregon) even though you were better than the other team playing for the title. I don't think that's fair. #Playoffs!

Notre Dame would be under Alabama and probably Georgia. IMHOP it would be a South Carolina or Florida caliber school based on what they showed throughout the season. Before last night I would have said Notre Dame is slightly under Alabama...but we (I'm a huge Notre Dame fan) took one hell of a whuppin last night.

You're out of your mind with delusion if you believe Notre Dame could hang with the likes of Oregon, Stanford, Georgia, A&M, and South Carolina.

All those teams would run the Irish right out of the stadium. But you keep on believing the Pretenders of South Bend are relevant beyond the media that desperately wants them to be so.

You're out of your mind with delusion if you believe Notre Dame could hang with the likes of Oregon, Stanford, Georgia, A&M, and South Carolina.

All those teams would run the Irish right out of the stadium. But you keep on believing the Pretenders of South Bend are relevant beyond the media that desperately wants them to be so.

ND beat Stanford

Calling BS on this one. Alabama played a great game last night, but let's not get carried away. Notre Dame beat 5 teams that were ranked in the top 25 this year. They didn't play well last night and there are many reasons for that. Not the least of which was the terrible officiating early in the game. With the score 7-0, Notre Dame threw a pass for what should have been a first down. That was taken away and they were forced to punt. On the ensuing punt, the Alabama receiver clearly fumbled and Notre Dame recovered. Again, it was taken away by the refs. On the ensuing drive, Alabama scored again to put ND in a huge hole. If the refs hadn't taken away possession twice, ND may have scored to make it 7-7. It would have been a very different game. Alabama dominated last night, make no mistake about it, but it was one game and far from ND's best effort.

ND beat every team on it's schedule and five of those teams were ranked in the top 25. Alabama did not. Simple as that. Alabama dominated the game last night, but it was one game. ND got screwed repeatedly by the refs early on and it put them in a huge hole. Clearly Alabama was the better team last night, but it in no way diminishes what ND did this year. If you think it does, then you don't know a thing about college football.

lol

Sorry...meant Louisville (got Cardinal stuck in my head).

Point remains, ND was built up by the media and was never as good as #1 ranked team.

wouldnt louisville not playing a real team til florida be a prime example of what your upset about? ND had a tougher schedule.

I do agree but those same people that had ND #1, they would tell you that Bama or Oregon would be big favorites in a head to head matchup (and we saw why last night). I don't think we should dissuade college teams from playing good competition knowing 1 loss and you are out of it (Oregon) even though you were better than the other team playing for the title. I don't think that's fair. #Playoffs!

i cant say that a team that played stanford at home, at oklahoma, at usc, etc... scheduled a pretenders schedule. it didnt end up as tough as the 5 preseason top 25s indicated but thats not their fault. they handled their business. thats all they could do.

bama is the best team around. they embarassed LSU last season.

bama is the best team around. they embarassed LSU last season.

Alabama and LSU split last season.

I wouldn't equate the two games. Alabama totally shut down the LSU offense and broke a few big plays against an excellent LSU defense. Saban gets his teams ready for big games, no question. The game last night was all but over after the opening kickoff, by contrast. Alabama stormed down the field, and ND didn't show they even had a pulse until the game was out of hand.

Alabama and LSU split last season.

I wouldn't equate the two games. Alabama totally shut down the LSU offense and broke a few big plays against an excellent LSU defense. Saban gets his teams ready for big games, no question. The game last night was all but over after the opening kickoff, by contrast. Alabama stormed down the field, and ND didn't show they even had a pulse until the game was out of hand.

it was like the 3rd quarter before LSU crossed the 50 yard line last year. it was an embarrassment in the championship.

saban gets that team ready for the big game better than anyone else. their game plans and intensity were unmatched in any bowl game i watched and that was kickoff til the final play they maintained it. any given saturday they beat ND too (likely about 9 times out of 10), but not often like THAT.

Edited by NoSaint