Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Nothing is for sure. But I think people were looking for a choice to be inspired about. To get psyched and believe we have the guy (at either President, GM or Coach) to turn it around. Nothin that happened over the past week has any pop or sizzle. Nor does it scream than anything will be different.

My thing is: it can't get much worse.

That sizzle stuff is for kids with ADHD. What if we hired Kelly & his offense is a disaster? Would that be better? All I want is results at this point. And I don't know who the better coach is but turning around a Cuse team that was worse than UB is much more impressive than maintaining a team that was already top 10 in Oregon.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain why For sure Kelly is a better coach or is it just because he was the hot coach? Oregon was a top 10 team before him & is bank rolled by Nike. Kelly runs a wide open no huddle offense, well Cuse does as well with kids a lot less talented than the blue chippers Oregon gets.

I have no idea who the better coach will be but it seems like some of u just are ripping the move because Marrone wasn't the name guy.

I live in Oregon go to some of the the games for the past 3 years.And, can say with Confidence that Kelly's record here(look it up). Is the reason they played in 4 straight BCS bowls. NOT because the program was "top 10" when he got there.

It seems a lot of people here never even heard of the guy before the 2013 Fiesta Bowl. But, amazingly now have themselves armed with their one or 2 stats. Will Chip Kelly fail? that's a 50/50 chance. But for a new President of the Bills to say "we will be forward thinking" Then hire a medicore college coach is very uninspiring. Like someone said earlier 8-5 will get a coach fired in year 4.

I understand the love for Syracuse here, there are a lot of fans and alumni on this board. The tension here is palpable and I could get banned for just posting this. That I know.

I was underwhelmed too until I read Scott Pitoniak's blog this AM. I didn't go through the 30 pages of posts, so apologies if this has been posted here:

http://scottpitoniak.blogspot.com/2013/01/marrone-good-choice-to-rebuild-buffalo.html

At the very least, it's an outside the box hire. I am intrigued. Gonna see how this plays out. Would have much preferred McCoy. But...this makes it interesting.

Also sounds like we're going after Nassib at some point.If there is some kind of conspiracy angle, it is that the Bills are gonna milk one regional franchise (SU) to prop the other (Bills). Something may be that they should have done with McNabb.

At any rate, this isn't boring. That sound you heard was that of a whole bunch of folks cancelling their season tickets...

C

I like the man and really appreciate what he was able to accomplish at Syracuse. I watched most of his games his offensive was creative and his defense disruptive. He will bring passion to the job.

What I didn't like...the team was undiciplined. Penalties at exactly the wrong time kept a decently talented team from reaching their potential. Hopefully he figures this out (and in fairness Syracuse was better in this respect by year end).

Beerball, not knowing much about him, do you think his offense will work in the NFL? How is he at making changes during the game?

I choose to have the wait and see approach. I really don't know much about Marrone, but being a life long Bills fanatic, I really hope he is the man for the job. I will support him, what choice do I have? want this team to be a winner, just like everyone here does. I refuse to be a hater towards him. I wish him the best.

GO BILLLSSSS!

Disagree. You should talk about this is the worst moment in Bills history & that you're quitting being a fan. Then if by some miracle, Marrone turns into a good hire, jump back on the bandwagon & pretend you supported the guy all along.

That im not sure of. But the blame ultimately falls on the Head Coach either way. If it was the OC, then he should have corrected him after the 3rd or 4th time.

Very much relying on his defense.

IM SO ANGRY.... but I'm really not sure what was going on after watching every game.

Does that sum it up?

That im not sure of. But the blame ultimately falls on the Head Coach either way. If it was the OC, then he should have corrected him after the 3rd or 4th time.

Very much relying on his defense.

I agree with your first statement, it is on the HC.

As far as relying on the defense, I find no fault in that.

I'm not sure if this hire will work out for the Bills or not but I have no other option than to hope.

If they're really leaving, especially after this hiring, then they were never fans. Makes this board a better place anyways.

Here's the problem. Some people think.

1) If you dont like a decision the Bills made = You're a troll.

2) If you despise the decision = You're not a true fan.

Neither is true. If you crusade about him being a good coach, youre not trolling and youre a true fan. If youre adament that he is a bad coach, then youre a troll and youre not a fan.

It's non-sense. I've been a Bills fan for nearly 3 decades.

Edited by LiterateStylish

Disagree. You should talk about this is the worst moment in Bills history & that you're quitting being a fan. Then if by some miracle, Marrone turns into a good hire, jump back on the bandwagon & pretend you supported the guy all along.

Ok, i will give that a shot. Do you know where the closest bridge is? LOL!

You negative people are nuts. This guy turned around a prorgam at SU that was dead and buried. He use a QB named Paulus his 1st year that hadn't played football in 4 years and wa scompeeteive. His def coordiantor schaefer blitzed and drove teams nuits at times. Marone is a no nonsense type of guy. look for nassib, Lemon and Thomas to come aboard via teh draft and h hopefully we get Scot Svhaefer as def coordiantor. Solid choice as this guy reminds me of a young bill parcelss!!!

IM SO ANGRY.... but I'm really not sure what was going on after watching every game.

Does that sum it up?

No.

And I understand youre just trying to be ridiculous.

Basic football knowledge is that it comes down to the HC. It was Gailey's fault he didnt demand that Wanny blitz more. And it's Marrones fault if he didn't demand his OC not throw every time on 3rd and short - IF it was the OC calling the plays.

I was underwhelmed too until I read Scott Pitoniak's blog this AM. I didn't go through the 30 pages of posts, so apologies if this has been posted here:

http://scottpitoniak...ld-buffalo.html

At the very least, it's an outside the box hire. I am intrigued. Gonna see how this plays out. Would have much preferred McCoy. But...this makes it interesting.

Also sounds like we're going after Nassib at some point.If there is some kind of conspiracy angle, it is that the Bills are gonna milk one regional franchise (SU) to prop the other (Bills). Something may be that they should have done with McNabb.

At any rate, this isn't boring. That sound you heard was that of a whole bunch of folks cancelling their season tickets...

C

Right, Dwight Freeney and Marvin Harrison would have also looked good in a Bills uniform.

I agree with your first statement, it is on the HC.

As far as relying on the defense, I find no fault in that.

I'm not sure if this hire will work out for the Bills or not but I have no other option than to hope.

Correct.

But the problem arises when kicking a FG instead of punting could have won them a game or two.

I live in Oregon go to some of the the games for the past 3 years.And, can say with Confidence that Kelly's record here(look it up). Is the reason they played in 4 straight BCS bowls. NOT because the program was "top 10" when he got there.

It seems a lot of people here never even heard of the guy before the 2013 Fiesta Bowl. But, amazingly now have themselves armed with their one or 2 stats. Will Chip Kelly fail? that's a 50/50 chance. But for a new President of the Bills to say "we will be forward thinking" Then hire a medicore college coach is very uninspiring. Like someone said earlier 8-5 will get a coach fired in year 4.

I understand the love for Syracuse here, there are a lot of fans and alumni on this board. The tension here is palpable and I could get banned for just posting this. That I know.

Why is it not important to point out that Oregon was a top 10 before Kelly? I'm not knocking the guy but his job was million times easier than Marrone's. a lot of college is about recruiting. Oregon already had blue chippers rolling in before Kelly & has Nike bank rolling the program. Marrone had to change a losing culture at a school in upstate NY.

Again, I don't know who the better coach will be in the NFL. But Chip Kelly was in a much, much better situation than Marrone so to just compare records is foolish.

Homage to his alma mater? What's the Marrone/St. John Fisher connection?

You are quite right. But my point stands. RB is from Cuse and a big Orange backer. This still smacks of marketing and not the best football decision. Marrone was Curtis Modkins in NO under Payton. His Cuse work has been good, but it was in a pathetic conference. I dunno...I'm dissapointed. It may work ... guess I will focus on being happy today for having a NHL season and get some distance from the Bills for a bit.

I'm sorry, but this level-headedness of yours simply won't do.

Choose now: pitchforks or champagne...no middle ground allowed!

I'm for him. I just hope he doesn't bring in a bunch of schmucks as his staff. A good coach doesn't necessarily have to call plays either. Great coaches do and great quarterbacks do too. I feel he is a step forward and put the right guys to work... Ps. To all you "fans" saying your done watching the bills and giving up, go ahead and stop you will be doing the team a favor. There are 31 losing teams every year, the bills are just in a rut. It just happens to be as long as you've been alive.