Bills coach search update

Apparently I was not clear because you completely misunderstood what I was saying. I said THAT marketing strategy (referring to your theory of going for Marrone to garner the massive and untapped Syracuse market) pales (in other words, is far subordinate to) trying to win.

Brandon has been successful at making chicken salad out of chicken sh** in the past, but he also knows that with his ascendency he's now responsible for winning, and ultimately he knows that winning is the best possible marketing strategy. Bottom line, there is no part of your theory I agree with.

I understood completely and have no problem with you disagreeing. Like I said, just a crazy theory.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line, there is no part of your theory I agree with.

Both of you used some of the same words.

But has he ever seen a grown man naked?

Does he like movies with gladiators?

Yes. No. I don't know.

/flies off the Bridge of Death

Maybe as OC for Horton?

Possibly a graceful escape route from Pittsburgh where his relationship with Big Ben has been "difficult" at best?

BTW, Haley never played football at any level.

From what I have read, it's not at all the amount of time he spends on the practice field, it's the tempo and the efficiency of how he runs his practices, which then translates to the tempo and efficiency that his team plays with on game days. Plus the NCAA has a lot of limits on practice time, too.

For example...

EDIT: In fact, doing a little research, it turns out that Kelly's practices are actually the shortest of any coach, and last two hours when college coaches use three hours. ;)

This is a great article about the practices, with a couple nice tidbits. One of which is that the practices are so fast, even the team managers have to tape their ankles. ;) And that Gruden nearly took a job with Oregon just to learn Kelly's offense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/sports/ncaafootball/02oregon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

John Wooden one of the most successful coaches in any sport expected the speed and precision of practice to exceed game speed. He wanted the game to be in slow motion. It afforded better conditioning, knowing assignments and reads better.

I have seen him in video of practice comment when things were done right to just do it faster.

He would use the phrase "be quick but don't hurry". With quickness precision is the when you hurry you become sloppy. I love the application of this to a football practice.

John Wooden one of the most successful coaches in any sport expected the speed and precision of practice to exceed game speed. He wanted the game to be in slow motion. It afforded better conditioning, knowing assignments and reads better.

I have seen him in video of practice comment when things were done right to just do it faster.

He would use the phrase "be quick but don't hurry". With quickness precision is the when you hurry you become sloppy. I love the application of this to a football practice.

Good stuff stranger.

I'd like

Greg Williams as head coach

Dick Jauron as DC

Chan Gailey as OC

Hard to argue with. A HC with previous HC experience plus two coordinators with HC experience.

Plus they all know Buffalo and the organization.

LOVE IT!!! :w00t:

After much consideration I think the Bills should do everything possible to get Chip Kelly here as our head coach! I'd settle for him even as our Offensive Coordinator although I don't think he would go that route! If we really are going to be a innovative team, analytics, and going after supreme talent in all phases of the operation then I think pursuing this guy, this coach is a gamble worth taking!!!!

Chip Kelly is more of a gamble as an NFL Coach because he hasn't performed in that capacity, but he is a proven college coach that is innovative and runs the most up to date offense similar to the Seattle Seahawks, but probably even at a faster pace!

Sure, there are safer bets based on consistency, tried and true mediocrity ie: Ken Whisenhunt, and Lovie Smith, but there are deficiencies in both coaches approach to the game. Lovie Smith is very strong on the defensive front, but offense is not his strong suit. Still, despite his shortcomings he coached them to 10 wins this year is more wins than Buffalo has seen in 1.5 decades!!! I don't care much for Whisenhunt and he makes some really questionable decisions, but I give him credit for getting Arizona to the Superbowl once when nobody else could even get them to the playoffs. Still I don't want to go this route!!!! I can see Whisenhunt getting the nod though...Alex Smith being our new QB, Little dink & dunk 5 yard passes, boring, playing not to lose passive football...No thanks!!!

#1. Chip Kelly, #2. Bruce Arians, #3. Mcoy (Denver)....

All things considered, It is refreshing to the see the Bills on the forefront of a coaching search for once. We are not sitting back and picking from whatever coaches are left, or who we can afford, ect.... We are talking to every single top candidate that is available and then making a decision. I am hopeful for Chip Kelly#1, Mike McCoy #2, and Lovie Smith #3. Regardless of who we get, its good to see Russ was true to his word and is not going to "sit on his hands".

If it's marketing your after, Kelly is your man. Can you imagine the Buzz if this happens?. HUGE.

It would be a buzz at ESPN and around NFL front offices, but...

IMO, most Bills fans had never heard of Chip Kelly before last week, and the number of season tickets that would be sold as a result of a Kelly hiring would be minimal.