New Stadium on the Horizon?

This comment from Russ today really intrigued me. Even more intriguing was that on WGR afterwards, he claimed that during the presser, he said "potential new stadium on the horizon." I went back to double check - he never said "potential." Any potential succession plan for Ralph is obviously not public, but this was the first instance where I thought, "Maybe Russ knows more than we do, and he slipped up a little bit here." Thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no hiding that in order for a long term stay we need a little more than a revamped stadium. In the next ten years Buffalo will require a new stadium. I say this as a huge supporter of Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The fact that Russ is aware of this obvious situation shouldn't mean he is hiding anything. In fact, its most notable because the team is finally conceding to the reality that a new stadium is an important step for the franchise to take.

What is known is that Ralph has consistently been against a new stadium, for fairly obvious and extremely practical reasons related to the economics of debt servicing and ticket prices in the Buffalo market. Why build an expensive crown jewel that few locals can afford admission to, and whose debt servicing drags down the year-by-year profitability of the franchise? So when the lease deal was announced with statements about how a new stadium would be looked at down the road, it was clear to me that the new stadium talk was all about having a talking point to dangle to the public while Ralph is still owner, basically stalling things (by agreeing to study the issue) until a new owner is in place. The Ralph regime would never seriously consider a new stadium, but a new ownership group might demand one (foolishly, in my opinion) as a condition of staying in WNY. In this way, the concept of creating a working group to study the issue was a work of genius - a way to straddle the interests of the old and new ownership.

Clearly Russ went a step further during his presser yesterday, at first failing to use the word "potential" to describe the stadium plan - probably getting caught up in the moment. Notably, he backtracked later on by adding the word "potential". I think Russ knows full well that the numbers do not support or justify a new stadium.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

RW Stadium is a dinosaur and pit compared to the new stadiums in the league. He is a marketing guy. He knows people want clean bathrooms, wifi, more food options than beer and wings, and large concourses.

The new stadium needs to be 15 K seats smaller, on the water, part of a shopping/dining complex and with much higher ticket prices.

The new stadium needs to be 15 K seats smaller, on the water, part of a shopping/dining complex and with much higher ticket prices.

Great, now we are gonna have drunks falling in the water... The USCG will have to be on patrol with a Zodiac and a helo ready on game day!! ;-) ;-)

Just kidding...

RW Stadium is a dinosaur and pit compared to the new stadiums in the league. He is a marketing guy. He knows people want clean bathrooms, wifi, more food options than beer and wings, and large concourses.

I say build it in Niagara Falls over the gorge. When drunks get out of hand, we thrown them over. After a while, this won't be much of a problem afterwards, plus when depression sinks in because we still suck, you have an option right then and there. Plus half the stadium would technically be in Canada so we help out with border traffic. See the location solves lots of problems.

I look at Heinz Field, an open air stadium in a smaller market (relatively speaking) that was built for about $300M. It seats in the mid 60K range and has a natural grass surface. That makes the most sense for this team and this region. I don't have a specific location preference, but I'll float that the Batavia location makes more sense to me than the Falls location.

Great, now we are gonna have drunks falling in the water... The USCG will have to be on patrol with a Zodiac and a helo ready on game day!! ;-) ;-)

Just kidding...

Gotta have some place to dump the fish fans when we throw them out of the stadium.

It would be naive to believe there have been no discussions internally at OBD about plans for a new stadium. They're intent on polishing the turd that is RWS in the immediate future, but know that is not a long-term proposition to keep the Bills viable in WNY.

And, that is yet another reason to put sincere hope into Brandon taking over the organization. Those fearing Russ doesn't know how to build a football team are missing the point -- his job is to completely oversee the entire organization and put the right people in place to make decisions in each respective area. He knows a winner is necessary to get the support he'll need to build a stadium.

The lease agreement specifies a committee formed in year 6 to study a new stadium. So it's no surprise.

Building in the Falls is a question since it's Erie County heading the study. Most likely location is downtown Buffalo. Others are right next to RWS, at or near UB Amherst campus, or along the lake on Rt. 5.

I'm not in favor of a lake side location because of how miserable it could be in winter. I am 100% in favor of a dome, but not a retractable one. That's a waste of money for the number of times you would open it. The whole "Buffalo weather advantage" is a myth. One way to overcome the region's weather issue is to build a dome. Players and coaches you want to attract won't worry about playing in Buffalo weather so much.

RWS is hardly a turd but it has issues. I don't know how expensive it would be to do this but how about pushing the fences out and building a ring of stand-alone bathrooms and concession stands around the outside of the stadium? It would be further from your seat but it would relieve the crush at halftime.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This comment from Russ today really intrigued me. Even more intriguing was that on WGR afterwards, he claimed that during the presser, he said "potential new stadium on the horizon." I went back to double check - he never said "potential." Any potential succession plan for Ralph is obviously not public, but this was the first instance where I thought, "Maybe Russ knows more than we do, and he slipped up a little bit here." Thoughts?

IMO...the press conference reference to a new stadium(without the word "potential") was a slip up, and what he said on WGR is probably what he should have stated during the press conference. Even before yesterday, it was clear that the $130 million is just a band-aid to get them through the current lease.

Reasons why the Buffalo Bills HC position is the best opportunity in the NFL:

1. Robust roster

2. Young core talent

3. Brand new Lease

4. Renovation package going into this stadium

5."We have a new stadium on the horizon".

Has anyone said this before?? It really caught me by surprise. It's at the 18 minute mark of Brandon's presser.

Reasons why the Buffalo Bills HC position is the best opportunity in the NFL:

1. Robust roster

2. Young core talent

3. Brand new Lease

4. Renovation package going into this stadium

5."We have a new stadium on the horizon".

Has anyone said this before?? It really caught me by surprise. It's at the 18 minute mark of Brandon's presser.

It has been mentioned before but I don't think anyone ever said there "will" be a new stadium. I guess you have to take it in whatever context you want but a new stadium is likely a ways down the road. At least 5+ years from now IMO.

Of course there is a chance. In reality, the latest renovation is just putting lipstick on a pig. Long term survival of the team in Buffalo will require a new stadium at some point. By the time the new lease expires, the Ralph will be almost 50 years old. New ownership will almost certainly demand a new stadium. Whether the money can be found, and whether the disfunctional political environment in WNY and NYS can be overcome, will determine the long term survival of the Bills in Buffalo, no matter who the owner is at that time.

Edited by MDFan