Ken Whisenhunt for HC?

PromoTheRobot

If we end up with Whisenhunt, is there any scenario where Horton comes along as DC? That would be the best of both worlds wouldn't it? We want Horton's defensive mind but we don't know if we want to take a chance on him as head coach. Or since we interviewed Horton for HC will he not want to be DC if he doesn't get the job? If we can't get Horton as DC then we definitely don't want Whisenhunt. This needs to be a package deal but I'm worried that we ruined that by interviewing both of them and basically pitting one against the other

I'd rather hire Horton as HC and pass on Whisenhunt.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Wisenhunt as a guy who inherited a team that was on the verge of being a winner under Dennis Green. It was Green who drafted Larry Fitzgerald, Karlos Dansby , Darnell Dockett, brought in QB Kurt Warner, Not Wiz.

When did you determine they were on the verge of being a winner? After Green's first 6-10 season, or the following back-to-back 5-11 seasons? :rolleyes: Warner? Green was the HC when Leinart was drafted btw. Still waiting to hear who these coaches are that could change everything for this org.

Wiz does have a nice resume, regardless of his overall record in AZ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/ken-whisenhunt/e9efa25c-a1a6-4cd3-ac14-8f59cefc04f9

Highlights for me:

- Played in the NFL for 9 seasons (current players seem to respect a guy that has been in battle)

- Cards all-time leader in wins by a head coach (you can look at this two ways - the Cards suck so it's not hard to be the all time leader, or the Cards suck making it harder for a coach to be successful)

- 4-2 postseason record

- Took the Cards to a Super Bowl

- Won a ring in Pittsburgh as the O coach

If he brings in Horton as his D coordinator I like that combo more than Lovie and whatever Offensive coordinator he might dig up to bring in...

If he brings in Horton as his D coordinator I like that combo more than Lovie and whatever Offensive coordinator he might dig up to bring in...

I think Whiz + Horton is better than Lovie and his current staff of coordinators, but did we just burn the Whiz + Horton bridge by interviewing both of them for the job? I don't think either one would want to come along as the coordinator after we turn them down for HC

I think Whiz + Horton is better than Lovie and his current staff of coordinators, but did we just burn the Whiz + Horton bridge by interviewing both of them for the job? I don't think either one would want to come along as the coordinator after we turn them down for HC

I think that's when you give Horton the "Assistant Head Coach" title.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - if AZ doesn't hire him as their HC and he doesn't get any other opps, the thought of getting the band back together (Horton, Wiz and Whaley) in Buffalo might be more appealing than staying in AZ with another head coach he doesn't know. Or that's my hope...

Gotta be very cautious if bringing in Whisenhunt with Horton in tow. Why, you ask? Well, if Horton is getting interviews right now, he is likely to depart in the near future, possibly as soon as the following season. So, the Bills have to ask themselves if they can live with that possibility, and ask Whisenhunt what his plan B is when Horton gets a HC position.

Idle speculation here, too, but what IF (and this is a big if) they really like Horton, and might be going back to Whisenhunt for that second interview to ask if he would be interested in being Horton's OC in Buffalo? I'm guessing that's less than likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't want a guy that just got fired, especially from a team that did worse than the Bills. If he was so good he'd still have a job.

If the Bills are truely searching 'world-wide' for world class talent, then either hire a successful college coach like Kelly or a pro like Gruden, whoever they decide is most qualified. Make them an offer they can't refuse. The Bills may need to overpay to overcome their reputation as a bad organization. But please don't make an Unweisenhire (I'm trademarking that),.

I don't want a guy that just got fired, especially from a team that did worse than the Bills. If he was so good he'd still have a job.

If the Bills are truely searching 'world-wide' for world class talent, then either hire a successful college coach like Kelly or a pro like Gruden,

Gruden was fired.

There are zero NFL coaches that either haven't been fired or will not get fired in the future. Nature of the biz.

If the Bills are truely searching 'world-wide' for world class talent, then either hire a successful college coach like Kelly or a pro like Gruden, whoever they decide is most qualified. Make them an offer they can't refuse. The Bills may need to overpay to overcome their reputation as a bad organization. But please don't make an Unweisenhire (I'm trademarking that),.

And I didn't want a woman who wasn't a tall, busty, swedish virgin with strong knees and a flat head, but at some point reality set in.

FWIW, I listened to Sirius for most of day yesterday while driving from Buffalo to VT and nearly everyone of the NFL guys (journalists and former players, including John Madden) felt that Buffalo needs to go with a proven, established guy over a college coach that may, or may not, succeed.

The other big thing they talked about was putting together an NFL quality staff, which they said is absolutely key to success in the NFL.

Those guys are wrong. All you need is a good quarterback.

:)

From the looks of it, Horton is being passed around as the token Rooney Rule interview and won't get a HC gig this year. If we hire Whisenhunt, odds are Horton comes with him and gets named Assistant HC/DC and gets to put together an aggressive, blitzing Defense that will hopefully maximizes the potential we have on D.

I disagree with your bolded statement.

JMO but I think Horton is ready to be his own man. While it could happen, I don't think it's likely that Whiz or Horton end up working with each other at this point.

I see Wisenhunt as a guy who inherited a team that was on the verge of being a winner under Dennis Green. It was Green who drafted Larry Fitzgerald, Karlos Dansby , Darnell Dockett, brought in QB Kurt Warner, Not Wiz.

8-8, 9-7,10-6 were all 3 years with Kurt Warner at QB. Once Warner retired it was Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindly, Brian Hoyer it was 5-11, 8-8, 5-11

Look at the division the years Wiz did well or made the playoffs

2008 Cards 9-7, 49ers 7-9, Seahawks 4-12, Rams 2-14

2009 Cards 10-6, 49ers at 8-8, Seahawks 5-11, Rams 1-15

The Cards had no competition in the Division those years. That won't happen in the AFC East with Belichick in the division. The Bills need to hire someone better then this man or its another 3 years of :death:

Just like Chan Gailey Wiz doesn't know the difference between a bad QB, a good QB and a great QB by watching film and studying them.

And what is your opinion of the job that Cardinals GM Rod Graves (Whisenhunt's boss) did in Glendale?

Wiz does have a nice resume, regardless of his overall record in AZ:

http://en.wikipedia..../Ken_Whisenhunt

http://www.azcardina...14-8f59cefc04f9

Highlights for me:

- Played in the NFL for 9 seasons (current players seem to respect a guy that has been in battle)

- Cards all-time leader in wins by a head coach (you can look at this two ways - the Cards suck so it's not hard to be the all time leader, or the Cards suck making it harder for a coach to be successful)

- 4-2 postseason record

- Took the Cards to a Super Bowl

- Won a ring in Pittsburgh as the O coach

I'm sold. Sign him....uhhh.....sign them.

Edited by billsoverdue

From the looks of it, Horton is being passed around as the token Rooney Rule interview and won't get a HC gig this year. If we hire Whisenhunt, odds are Horton comes with him and gets named Assistant HC/DC and gets to put together an aggressive, blitzing Defense that will hopefully maximizes the potential we have on D. He'd also likely bring in Frank Reich (making everyone in Buffalo happy), Russ Grimm and John McNulty to help with our offense as assistants.

Reich was just on WGR with Murph, recounting his memories of the comeback game--- I hadn't even realized he was on the Cardinals staff in 2012, as the Wide Receiver's Coach. That's an interesting connection, and I wonder if the Bills have received any insight from Frank on what kind of coach Whisenhunt (or Horton, for that matter) is to coach under.

FWIW, his comments were glowing on both with Murph, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

Gruden was fired.

There are zero NFL coaches that either haven't been fired or will not get fired in the future. Nature of the biz.

First, I said 'just fired', as in this year's crop of unemployed. Gruden only had 3 losing seasons in 11 years, won a Super Bowl, and was 9-7 the year he was fired from Tampa, where he had replaced the fired Tony Dungy, who himself was 9-7 the year he was fired. I guess Tampa had a higher standard. I'd take either of those coaches, among others, over any of this year's unemployed.

And I didn't want a woman who wasn't a tall, busty, swedish virgin with strong knees and a flat head, but at some point reality set in.

Well I guess you're willing to accept someone else's sloppy seconds, but I expect better from Russ Brandon who said, '...I will leave no stone unturned in taking this organization to a world class level.' A coach from Arizona doesn't meet that criteria.

Well I guess you're willing to accept someone else's sloppy seconds, but I expect better from Russ Brandon who said, '...I will leave no stone unturned in taking this organization to a world class level.' A coach from Arizona doesn't meet that criteria.

I don't want one of AZ's coaches either, but turning your nose up at the likes of Lovie Smith on account of him getting fired is ridiculous. Plenty of good coaches have been fired before. IIRC didn't Bellichick get fired from Cle?

But apparently every coach in the world has congregated in some sort of highlander-esque gathering in Arizona.