Bills Should Hire Frank Reich

Reich is on the coaching staff in Arizona. I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach but I've always thought of him as a super bright guy who would make a great head coach one day. Why not bring a guy like this back to Buffalo now? We certainly need some new blood.

Then why would we bring in a guy from a losing team that you only know anything about because he played for the Bills?

I don't think Reich can be blamed for the fact that AZ wasn't good this year- not like he was their head coach or OC. Steve Tasker is another former Bill that is a very astute football mind. I think the thing that some of you are forgetting is that many top coaches who have never lived in Buffalo have a negative opinion of the place and don't want to move there. Guys like Reich and Tasker know that it's a good place to live and might actually accept a job there if offered one.

I don't think Reich can be blamed for the fact that AZ wasn't good this year- not like he was their head coach or OC. Steve Tasker is another former Bill that is a very astute football mind. I think the thing that some of you are forgetting is that many top coaches who have never lived in Buffalo have a negative opinion of the place and don't want to move there. Guys like Reich and Tasker know that it's a good place to live and might actually accept a job there if offered one.

Maybe your post would be more clear if you stated in what capacity you envisioned Reich?

QB coach? OC? Head Coach?????

Maybe your post would be more clear if you stated in what capacity you envisioned Reich?

QB coach? OC? Head Coach?????

As I said, not sure he's ready to be a head coach, but I think he could fit in a couple roles. QB coach would be an obvious choice but he was WR coach in AZ, so I suppose he could fit in there as well. Or as a scout. Looks like he and everyone else in AZ got fired today too.

This thread prompted me to do some research on Frank Reich. In 2008, he became an offensive coaching staff assistant for the Colts. From 2009 - 2010, he served as the Colts' quarterback coach. In 2011, he served as their wide receivers coach. This year he's the Cardinals' wide receivers coach.

The next logical step in this career progression would be offensive coordinator. The Bills' next offensive coordinator should be creative, highly intelligent, and able to think outside the box. I don't know enough about Reich to gauge whether he fits that description.

In a situation like this, it's worth doing further digging. (As opposed to some, who want to hire him because of their fond memories of him as a player. Or as opposed to others, who seem to be instinctively opposed to the hire, apparently on the theory that his past Bills connections are his only qualification for the position. They are not.)

Reich is on the coaching staff in Arizona. I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach but I've always thought of him as a super bright guy who would make a great head coach one day. Why not bring a guy like this back to Buffalo now? We certainly need some new blood.

Wasn't he manning qb coach in Indy. What is that job description? Make sure petytons car is gassed and jock is clean?

Take a look at the coaching resume of some of the best head coaches in the league and you'll see that some, if not many of them got fired from various gigs and/or coached a bunch of lousy teams before landing the gig were they were dubbed a great coach. Reich is one of many guys they should consider, but again, some of the very top guys might not want to be part of turning this franchise around. It's not like the Bills can simply pick whomever they want.

Wasn't he manning qb coach in Indy. What is that job description? Make sure petytons car is gassed and jock is clean?

Yes. Reich was an offensive assistant and QB coach in Indy with Manning for 3 years.

Reich for OC would be an outside the box hire. He's never done it before but is arguably qualified to make the next step.

It might be an underwhelming hire but we are in zero position to evaluate how good a coach he is. In fact people inside the NFL would have a hard time evaluating him.

Dirk Koetter did little in Jacksonville to distinguish himself as an OC and now based on one good season as Atlanta's OC, he's put himself in the conversation for head coaching jobs.

Yes. Reich was an offensive assistant and QB coach in Indy with Manning for 3 years.

Reich for OC would be an outside the box hire. He's never done it before but is arguably qualified to make the next step.

It might be an underwhelming hire but we are in zero position to evaluate how good a coach he is. In fact people inside the NFL would have a hard time evaluating him.

Dirk Koetter did little in Jacksonville to distinguish himself as an OC and now based on one good season as Atlanta's OC, he's put himself in the conversation for head coaching jobs.

Seems to me the biggest step in the game is from position coach to coordinator, particularly if the head coach deligates play book and play calling.

Are we waiting for a second for Cappy?

The Captain would need to put a bipartisan package together so we can meet "in the aisle" as it were.

Then an upvote can be led by us here on the floor. You wont forget us Captain when you are up there, or will you ?

I'd have no problem bringing him in as some position coach, OC, that may be a stretch. HC I'd rather have CG or DJ as at least they've done the job. But ultimately it will be up to whomever is the next HC.

Take a look at the coaching resume of some of the best head coaches in the league and you'll see that some, if not many of them got fired from various gigs and/or coached a bunch of lousy teams before landing the gig were they were dubbed a great coach. Reich is one of many guys they should consider, but again, some of the very top guys might not want to be part of turning this franchise around. It's not like the Bills can simply pick whomever they want.

Having a good football mind and being a good coach are 2 different things. Knowing Xs & Os doesnt mean you can think on your toes, make adjustments, having a pulse of your team, know how to motivate, etc.

Let's bring in Nate Odoms as a secondary coach and maybe Carlton Bailey as D coordinator along with Reich. Maybe Tasker can be special teams coach. I heard Greg Cater is coaching Pop Warner in Utah, maybe he can come in as a special punting consultant.

Kenneth Davis is an AD with a Catholic school here in Dallas. Obviously qualified don't you think?