Sports Illustrated coaching change article

Superman12975

none of this makes sense. something called the no spin zone reporting that "it's friends" at Si are reporting that a coach is going to be fired in Buffalo even though the article it references is speculative at best.

i hope this isn't some dog chasing its tail.

it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that is based on nothing concrete. i'm not saying it might not happen, but to base any conclusions on this is questionable.

and i'm tired of folks piling on on Chan. this witch hunt has gone on long enough. let's have a little empathy here. Gailey's been swinging in the wind for far too long without any support from ownership, the CEO or Buddy Nix, who's suddenly gone silent. this topic has been beaten for far too long, with far too many people taking far too much pleasure out of it.

let's remember this is an actual person who has tried his best to turn this franchise around and to a degree failed.

i'm not saying Chan's not open to criticism but i'd hate to think no one here has never been wrong.

i'm tired of this boring, dull topic, with one dozen threads popping up at a moment's notice. good god, have some respect.

jw

and yeah, i'm in a mood to start taking people on because enough of this is enough, and i'm tired of the mob-rule mentality that some in the media have taken.

i'll remain contrarian and objective and question why this is being viewed through a 13-year prism and not a 3-year one.

the team has been dysfunctional for longer than Chan and Buddy have been here. but few seems to want to acknowledge that, and instead lay all the blame on the current regime for the troubles past.

for shame. for shame. i thought people here had better perspective.

John,

This team has been an utter debacle this season. And pretty much for most of the three seasons that Chan has been at the helm. U cover the Bills on a daily basis, and do it quite well I might add. Where in your estimation did things go so utterly wrong? I had such great hopes for this season. But I saw a team in total disarray on the field in the preseason. And totally unprepared for the season opener against the Jets.. What on earth happened to make it go so wrong?

My opinion is that Fitz's shortcomings completely short circuited this team. But why was Gailey so stubborn as to not switch to a ball control pound it on the ground type of offense, knowing how marginal Fitz was? I think continuing to throw five wide completely sucked the life out of this team. But my god, what happened to the defense? They have been putrid ALL season!!!

Gailey has to go. And Buddy should as well. 15-32 over three seasons in the NFL is unacceptable. The future can only get better. Rewatch the Arizona game, and look closely at the game plan Chan called. He should have been fired right after that game in my opinion. Worst coached game I have ever seen. Coming off of the Pats and 49ers blood fests of giving up 97 points and almost 1200 yards. He is an utter joke. And the team plays as such!!

Give us some of your wisdom as to what happened my friend.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you genuinely not get what I'm asking?

Clues to his ability to scout and build a team:

Players picked from his region while a regional scout? Anything they have in common? High risk high potential guys? Team captains that might be a step slower? Offense vs defense success?

His personality type?

Times he's used phrases such as "I think it's really important to......"

He seems like he's potentially a hot new name and I'd be curious to learn a bit about him. I don't expect someone to rattle off a ton of info but I think it'd be nice to learn more than "employed by two good teams." Regardless of what happens with nix next week, this sounds like the type of name we will be hearing any time we have a bad season for the long term. A successful buffalo native will always be tied to our potential openings

Example of interesting tidbits (as I'm not cross referencing colts picks to his regions right now): it seems he brought Chris Polian into the falcons organization, which if he were hired as GM might be someone he'd bring along in a leadership role if the relationship is strong.

lol...ok mr bloom...why don't you talk to Ralph about getting in on the interview.

John,

This team has been an utter debacle this season. And pretty much for most of the three seasons that Chan has been at the helm. U cover the Bills on a daily basis, and do it quite well I might add. Where in your estimation did things go so utterly wrong? I had such great hopes for this season. But I saw a team in total disarray on the field in the preseason. And totally unprepared for the season opener against the Jets.. What on earth happened to make it go so wrong?

My opinion is that Fitz's shortcomings completely short circuited this team. But why was Gailey so stubborn as to not switch to a ball control pound it on the ground type of offense, knowing how marginal Fitz was? I think continuing to throw five wide completely sucked the life out of this team. But my god, what happened to the defense? They have been putrid ALL season!!!

Gailey has to go. And Buddy should as well. 15-32 over three seasons in the NFL is unacceptable. The future can only get better. Rewatch the Arizona game, and look closely at the game plan Chan called. He should have been fired right after that game in my opinion. Worst coached game I have ever seen. Coming off of the Pats and 49ers blood fests of giving up 97 points and almost 1200 yards. He is an utter joke. And the team plays as such!!

Give us some of your wisdom as to what happened my friend.

since you asked, in my opinion, the team went wrong before the season began by failing to address two key positions of need: linebacker and receiver, and maybe not in that order

it was evident in camp that both spots were thin.

the belief was the d-line could overcome whatever problems there were at lb and yet, the bills front-office kind of middled it.

they cut dwan edwards and merrriman and mckillop. one and possibly two of the three would have helped.

same thing at receiver.

here's the thing about Fitzpatrick, too, and those who have claimed that Gailey is "married" to the qb. that is not the case. since the beginning, both Chan and Buddy have consistenty said that if there is a qb there whom they believe is a "franchise guy" then they'll draft him.

have they missed on a few? yes. were there questions about some of them that the bills have missed on, yes again.

trouble is, there were so many holes to address on this roster that it's difficult to say that a qb would've fixed everything. defense was and still is a mess, but it's closer to being better than it was, i think. offense has a line and rb in place.

that said, the bills didn't start at square 1 under buddy and chan. they were actually at about square minus-1 back then.

some things have not panned out. that's true.

and criticize the bills all you want. but i find too many people are basing their criticism on 13 years and not 3. and the headlong rush for change has it"s consequences.

what, good folk, is your plan B should Chan and Buddy be fired?

there's expected to be what i've been told as "a seismic shift" in the nfl coaching ranks this offseason, with as many as 10 teams making changes.

you tell me, what top 5 -- nay, top 10 -- coaching candidates would choose Buffalo -- where dysfunction rules and coaches get no more than 3 years to prove themselves -- over other more favorable landing spots such as say Chicago, San Diego or New Orleans.

have at it all you want. and if you get your wish that the coach is gone, let's have the whole thing blown up yet again, so that we can have this conversation in 2015.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

it's not banter. c'mon. let's be real here. it's pure and unadulterated cheapshots that have been exhanged far too many times on this board and in the media.

banter does not get personal.

banter does not compare a person to trash.

banter does not go on for three weeks and running on WGR or in The Buffalo News.

banter does not lead to the cheapshots taken by WGRZ a few night ago, when someone turned to Twitter to find three mean-spirited comments to share on air.

there's banter and there's piling on, and i'm absolutely sick of it. someone had mentioned recently that Chan looked defeated. well, geez, no guff.

after this season gone wrong and three weeks of questions and criticism, who wouldn't?

quit pretending this is some kind of video game and there's not a person at the end of this hook.

because, like it or not, there is.

so i don't buy this acceptance that anyone could sign up for this.

it's bad enough to deal with this losing, than to become a pinata for everyone to take a whack at without the defense of an owner, treasurer, CEO or GM these days.

go ahead, bash away in consumation and see how far that gets you to feeling less empty.

jw

You seem as overwhelmed as CG.

While I agree the personal bashing of CG is overbearing, you should know better than to come here and avoid it. What do you expect? This is a fans forum to vent their emotions, good and bad. Not the place you want to be if want to read mostly level-headed discussion about an organization that just suffered through yet another miserable season.

So while another regime trapeses through here on their "3 year plan" with no connection to the previous ineptness and then move on to their next venture, it's the fans left holding the bag.

As to your colleagues doing this....well....if they're sounding like some do on this board, that's unprofessional.

End of the day, fans retain the right to vent like this regardless of how foolish and heartless it may seem to you or anyone else.

Reporters report......fans are fanatical. Some of whats reported is accurate. Fans emotions sometimes spill over heartlessly.

Neither is perfect.

Don't fight it, you can't win. It's the nature of the beast. You'll go crazy trying. Just avoid it. Coming here now, at this time, looking for reasonable, rational responses to a season gone terribly awry where at the outset was filled with such promise....well.......you should know better.

I appreciate your contributions here, jw. It's raw and sensitive in these parts these days. Let it roll. You're better than this.

Hopefully the next regime gets it right.

Happy New Year!

GO BILLS! :beer:

From my perspective, this team has more talent than any time I can remember in the past 10 years and we are about to record our second worst record ( I believe) during that time span. Not only are we not improving, we're getting worse. The playcalling and clock management has been putrid and the fact that Gailey has a bizarre determination to not give Spiller the ball more often, metaphorically speaking is down right criminal. Yes, I'm sure he's given it his best and yes I believe he's a good man, but in order for change, it is in my opinion that our voices of disgust must be heard.

Haven't read the whole thread but, yeah they need to get rid of Gailey. If nothing more than to just appease the fan base so they can sell tickets and promote the shiny new toy(coach).

If you haven't read this entire thread, you have missed out on some of the finest banter I have read in awhile. The "torch and pitchfork" crowd vs. the "stop with the personal attacks" members. All make good points and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few weeks. I'm definitely a lurker on this thread.

Well, I guess I am a serious minority opionion here, but I think Chan is slight favorite to stay. Ralph won't listen to the media (Brandon will, though) IF past practice is followed, there will be a review next week with Mr Wilson, with Nix, Gailey and Brandon present. We will know after that meeting Who is staying in the management of the team. I remember Chuck Knox coming back from Detriot after that meeting, and announcing after 5 years that he would not be retained. (no playoffs) So, could be next week, but might run into the following week, depending on when they do their review. If NIX goes, Whatley is a favorite, as THAT would constitute continuity, which IS Mr Wilson's style.

Very possible scenario. I do not, for one minute, believe Chan gets the ax on Monday as some believe. The Bills inner-circle conducts a post-season meeting that will determine the course they chart for 2013 with regard to team management. It could last a day or more.

I also don't see anyone from outside OBD stepping up to the GM job if Nix is let go. For all this talk about David Caldwell, I don't think the idea was anything other than to make Whaley GM. Despite all this, a new GM doesn't necessarily mean Gailey departs either. Littmann and Brandon could make the case Nix has wasted RW's money and he is the culprit to the team failing to reach the playoffs.

But throughout the year, he has constantly lied to media, to fans, and to the players on this team. How many times has he said its his fault we lost?

wrong. he has been more upfront than many of his predecessors. and he's taken more of the blame -- at the expense of players -- than you suggest.

let's be fair here, and this is my point because people are piling on with misdirected accusations and arguments such as this above.

Chan has taken the blame each time he's been asked about it after every loss. it was the case after Tennessee, and it was certainly the case last week, when he said: "the buck stops with me."

criticize him all you want, but don't start making things up.

gregg williams never took the blame.

and mularkey was squirmy with the facts during his time.

this has not been the case with Chan.

jw

Haven't read the whole thread but, yeah they need to get rid of Gailey. If nothing more than to just appease the fan base so they can sell tickets and promote the shiny new toy(coach).

i haven't read all 18 of your posts, but based on this, i'm guessing i haven't missed much because this post adds nothing to any discussion.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

wrong. he has been more upfront than many of his predecessors. and he's taken more of the blame -- at the expense of players -- than you suggest.

let's be fair here, and this is my point because people are piling on with misdirected accusations and arguments such as this above.

Chan has taken the blame each time he's been asked about it after every loss. it was the case after Tennessee, and it was certainly the case last week, when he said: "the buck stops with me."

criticize him all you want, but don't start making things up.

gregg williams never took the blame.

and mularkey was squirmy with the facts during his time.

this has not been the case with Chan.

jw

i haven't read all 18 of your posts, but based on this, i'm guessing i haven't missed much.

jw

Borrowing from your logic above, it seems disingenuous for you to attack a fellow Bills Fan with 18 posts under his belt. He's a human being and has feelings. Your attacking him based on this one post is the exact type of behavior you are referencing above. At least wait until he gets to Post 100 before pulling the guillotine on the poor chap. :nana:

This should be its own thread, but if you had your choice, who would be your first, second and third firings? My order would be:

1. Ryan...clean out your locker.

2. If I could also fire Buddy, I'd say, 'turn the keys over to Doug' and enjoy your grandchildren in retirement.

3. Since, there is no way Chan can be kept as head coach, I'd tell him: you are fired too unless our new HC wants you as OC.

4. I'd then look around for a head coach and a GM (if I found one better than Whaley, he'd be following Buddy out the door.

But in reality, I'll be happy if Ryan is cut.

I feel bad for Gailey. I like his general attitude and he seems like a really good and classy man.

I was almost completely behind him until late in training camp this season when they made some strange roster decisions.

Then they were completely blind-sided in the Jets game somehow, and we knew the season was over before it began.

It led to a string of indefensible errors throughout the season. Blew the 2nd half of the Pats game, by all rights coached into a loss against the Cardinals. Tried to lose on Thursday night football. Titans game was there to win. Indianapolis game, St Louis game. Simple clock management decisions that anyone who has picked up a controller for a Madden game knows. Often, big plays on offense they need to burn a timeout. Complete disaster between the opponents' 30 and 35 yard line on 4th down. The "Wild Cat".

But the death knell has been doled out by the players. They have quit since the St Louis game. It stinks they have done that, but I sense they know they can do better with a different head coach. It is also so much easier to change the head coach than it is the roster, and quite honestly, I would choose the players we have here. The Bills have the best athletes, especially on the lines, since the 1990s.

Edited by May Day 10

Borrowing from your logic above, it seems disingenuous for you to attack a fellow Bills Fan with 18 posts under his belt. He's a human being and has feelings. Your attacking him based on this one post is the exact type of behavior you are referencing above. At least wait until he gets to Post 100 before pulling the guillotine on the poor chap. :nana:

I actually think that Gailey is a very good offensive coach who does the best with what he has. It's his scheme that has made the running game so effective the past two seasons (meaning that his spread passing offense sets up the run). Right now, they are 14th in rushing attempts, 6th in rushing yards, and 3rd in rushing yards per carry. Slam him all you want for hitching himself to Fitzpatrick, but when Fitzpatrick has a credible receiving corps, he plays pretty well. His receiving corps was a mess this season, yet he has the best QB rating of his career (82.9) and an acceptable TD/INT ratio.

The sad thing is that they're going to cut Fitzpatrick despite the fact that he's an ideal backup for the team. He'll probably end up going to a team like Arizona, where he'll be an immediate and huge upgrade over what they have. I realize that he'll be making too much money and therefore have to go, but it's not a good thing. I feel similarly about Gailey, actually - I'd be fine with him sticking around as an OC, but that will never happen assuming he's fired.

If I'm faulting anyone, it's Nix. He has in certain respects upgraded the talent overall, but I think his clear unwillingness to draft and sign FAs who come from outside the SEC/ACC/former Confederacy axis has blinded him, which in turn has hurt the Bills. Why trade up for NC State product Graham, who appears to suck? Why pay so much for a pretty good NC State DE, Mario Williams? Why keep bringing back the washed up ACC stud Shawn Merriman? To me, Nix strikes me as a "comfort zone" sort of person. He seems to trust people most like himself and who are from the region where he was born, where he coached, and where he scouted. A man needs broader horizons, I think.