Sports Illustrated coaching change article

Superman12975

I just want to know what the heck happened to Chan this year. His attitude changed and his play calling looked like he had a big glass of crack to drink before the game. The first two years I didn't have an issue with him. What the heck changed?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise. I think it's for his own good, too. He's had health issues in the past and I gotta think this losing is eating him up something fierce. From every logical standpoint it stands to reason that we will have seen the end of the Gailey/Fitz era come 4pm on Sunday.

GO BILLS!!!

Presumptuous of me to think I know what's best for Gailey.

That said, his dismissal would benefit all parties concerned, IMO.

@ the zone

1. Tied his future to Fitzpatrick

2. In over his head as a HC, which especially caught up to him on the defensive side of the ball

The fitz deal isn't near as damning as some make it sound. What I will say is I agree with zone - the first two years it seemed like he had a philosophy (like it or not, and sure he made some changes but a broad stroke philosophy on football and operations). This year he's been just all over the place. The FG stuff, spiller, the comments implying he had nothing to do with the D, situational playcalling (a 2nd and 20 wildcat run down big late in the game? That's not just getting too cute). I questioned a few weeks ago if it was possible that age or health or stress finally overcame his decision making this year. It's weird to see someone with so much established philosophy just all over the place.

Edited by NoSaint

Do you genuinely not get what I'm asking?

Clues to his ability to scout and build a team:

Players picked from his region while a regional scout? Anything they have in common? High risk high potential guys? Team captains that might be a step slower? Offense vs defense success?

His personality type?

Times he's used phrases such as "I think it's really important to......"

He seems like he's potentially a hot new name and I'd be curious to learn a bit about him. I don't expect someone to rattle off a ton of info but I think it'd be nice to learn more than "employed by two good teams." Regardless of what happens with nix next week, this sounds like the type of name we will be hearing any time we have a bad season for the long term. A successful buffalo native will always be tied to our potential openings

Example of interesting tidbits (as I'm not cross referencing colts picks to his regions right now): it seems he brought Chris Polian into the falcons organization, which if he were hired as GM might be someone he'd bring along in a leadership role if the relationship is strong.

A good one from the Google:

http://sites.jcu.edu/magazine/2010/12/21/a-skill-for-finding-talent/

“A player represents a multimillion-dollar investment for the team,” Caldwell says. “The two keys I look for are his passion and perseverance. Then I ask myself, ‘Is this a guy I’d like to play with?’ and ‘Would I want to be his teammate?’”

The biggest turn-offs are a lack of work ethic and selfishness, Caldwell says, adding that he doesn’t like to see players who put personal goals above team goals.

Edit - Ha, just saw your other post, glad we're on the same page NS :beer:

Edited by Heitz

A good one from the Google:

http://sites.jcu.edu/magazine/2010/12/21/a-skill-for-finding-talent/

“A player represents a multimillion-dollar investment for the team,” Caldwell says. “The two keys I look for are his passion and perseverance. Then I ask myself, ‘Is this a guy I’d like to play with?’ and ‘Would I want to be his teammate?’”

The biggest turn-offs are a lack of work ethic and selfishness, Caldwell says, adding that he doesn’t like to see players who put personal goals above team goals.

Exactly the type of thing I was curious to read.

I think we found that pretty much the same time - this being a gailey thread I started a Caldwell one and posted that just now too. Note his two college teammates in the article too

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly the type of thing I was curious to read.

I think we found that pretty much the same time - this being a gailey thread I started a Caldwell one and posted that just now too. Note his two college teammates in the article too

Impeccable timing! I'll do some more digging in the am too...

Impeccable timing! I'll do some more digging in the am too...

Likewise - don't know a ton about him but that article was very positive as far as what I look for: good connections despite being young (polians, Atlanta being part of the pats tree, SF ties, respected by colts leadership still), also like the profile of player he likes (despite character guys having poor connotations here sometimes)

Likewise - don't know a ton about him but that article was very positive as far as what I look for: good connections despite being young (polians, Atlanta being part of the pats tree, SF ties, respected by colts leadership still), also like the profile of player he likes (despite character guys having poor connotations here sometimes)

As long as he doesn't sign Kelsay to another contract extension I'm good with him.

Posted this waaaay earlier today in the "Gailey staying?" thread. Source at Bills HQ informed me that Buddy was told to either fire Chan Monday or pack his bags too.

Any more details? I know you can't give a name but..... Anything that could help give weight to the claim?

Can't give any more details other than that stipulation was handed down directly from Ralph to Buddy.

Always a weird spot (nothing reflected on you here) - if true, either you know someone pretty high up who's willing to talk too much, or this is common knowledge around the office these days. Thanks for sharing the tidbit.

Posted this waaaay earlier today in the "Gailey staying?" thread. Source at Bills HQ informed me that Buddy was told to either fire Chan Monday or pack his bags too.

Thanks for going waaaay out of your way to point out that you "scooped" this move.