Aggressive vs. Realistic Bills Offseason Plans for 2013

Got_Wood

I've heard opinions from the radio, ESPN, NFL Network, Yahoo Sports, etc. about where this team might be headed next season, and these scenarios seem like the most likely based on all of the rumors and potential staff/players available:

Option 1: Aggressive Offseason

1. Buffalo Fires Chan Gailey and Hire Chip Kelly

- Chip sounds like he'll be available this offseason, and Buffalo has some attractive players to build around. I would rule this out as a possibility.

2. Sign Michael Vick (or Tebow as a second option)

- Vick could run a similar offense to Chip's Oregon up-tempo, spread style. And he would be a nice veteran player to plug in and play now. Secondary option to Vick could be Tim Tebow.

3. Draft the QB of the future.

- With Chip on board, this would likely be Geno Smith from West Virginia. Other potential guys Chip may like would be Tajh Boyd from Clemson, EJ Manuel from Florida State, or Colin Klein from Kansas State.

4. Trade Fitzpatrick to Arizona for a 3rd Round Pick

- Arizona has struggled mightily to field a decent starting QB. Fitz could be a nice option for them to get Fitzgerald the ball, and a decent stop-gap while they groom a future QB. The Fitz to Fitz combo could be lethal!!

5. Sign veterans Ray Maualuga at linebacker and William Moore at Safety

- Bring in some guys with experience and proven ability to shore up this defense.

Option 2: Realistic Offseason (More Likely)

1. Hire a Legitimate Offensive Coordinator

- There should be some great options out there that Chan can trust to run this offense, and he can focus more on being a head coach and game day manager. To name a few: Ken Whisenhunt, Cam Cameron, and Norv Turner would all fit the bill.

2. Draft Manti T'eo or Jarvis Jones

- This team needs a new leader and big time hitter on defense. Either of these guys would be great options.

3. Trade Back into Late Round 1 of the Draft and grab a Pocket Passer QB of the Future

- Several good options here that Chanand Nix may like in Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Ryan Nassib, and Aaron Murray. (Sounds like Nix has hinted at a move like this).

4. Sign Veteran Receiver Greg Jennings

- This guy would be a perfect fit for this team. He would be a great leader, with proven big results, and has played in cold weather up in Green Bay. Looks like they may let him walk with young guys James Jones and Randall Cobb emerging next to Jordy Nelson.

5. Draft a Tight End and Center

- Wood and Chandler are good players for this team. But we need an insurance policy for Wood, and we need an athletic tight end in this offense to compliment Chandler as well.

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind either option. What do you guys think?

Some random thoughts about your post

1.) I don't expect Gailey to be fired

2.) I just don't think Chip Kelly would ever be interested in coming here but it would be awesome

3.) I do think we will draft a QB or two

4.) I doubt we could get anything for Fitz via trade considering his contract. I would not surprise me if he were also back next year

5.) Would love it if we signed Mauluga. Don't know anything about Moore but I would prefer it if we just kept Byrd

6.) I don't think Gailey will give up control of the offense to a new OC. I think there's a better chance that he is fired or resigns.

7.) I like the idea of drafting Te'o or Jones and then trading back into Rd1 for a QB

8.) I'd be fine with signing Jennings but I don't think he fits the need for the Bills. They want a big, young Outside Receiver

9.) Totally agree that we need depth at C and TE

I don't think you gave us Aggressive and Realistic. You gave us Aggressive and Optimistic.

Realistic

1. Fitz is your QB - Matt Barkley is your #1 pick and QB of the future

2. Best player available the rest of the draft

3. A lower rated FA LB

4. 7-9 rcord next year, but with "vastly improved talent"

Keep Chan. Scrap Wildcat. Sign Vick. Draft Te'o. Trade Fitz for anything. Resign Byrd, Levitre, McKelvin. Draft Glennon and Nassib. Look into adding more LBs via free agency or waiver wire. Draft DaRick Rogers to go opposite Stevie. If Greg Jennings is available, take a look. Get a real QB coach, preferably someone who played position I.e. Frank Reich.

I've heard opinions from the radio, ESPN, NFL Network, Yahoo Sports, etc. about where this team might be headed next season, and these scenarios seem like the most likely based on all of the rumors and potential staff/players available:

- Chip sounds like he'll be available this offseason, and Buffalo has some attractive players to build around. I would rule this out as a possibility.

- Vick could run a similar offense to Chip's Oregon up-tempo, spread style. And he would be a nice veteran player to plug in and play now. Secondary option to Vick could be Tim Tebow.

- With Chip on board, this would likely be Geno Smith from West Virginia. Other potential guys Chip may like would be Tajh Boyd from Clemson, EJ Manuel from Florida State, or Colin Klein from Kansas State.

- Arizona has struggled mightily to field a decent starting QB. Fitz could be a nice option for them to get Fitzgerald the ball, and a decent stop-gap while they groom a future QB. The Fitz to Fitz combo could be lethal!!

- Bring in some guys with experience and proven ability to shore up this defense.

- There should be some great options out there that Chan can trust to run this offense, and he can focus more on being a head coach and game day manager. To name a few: Ken Whisenhunt, Cam Cameron, and Norv Turner would all fit the bill.

- This team needs a new leader and big time hitter on defense. Either of these guys would be great options.

3. Trade Back into Late Round 1 of the Draft and grab a Pocket Passer QB of the Future

- Several good options here that Chanand Nix may like in Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Ryan Nassib, and Aaron Murray. (Sounds like Nix has hinted at a move like this).

- This guy would be a perfect fit for this team. He would be a great leader, with proven big results, and has played in cold weather up in Green Bay. Looks like they may let him walk with young guys James Jones and Randall Cobb emerging next to Jordy Nelson.

- Wood and Chandler are good players for this team. But we need an insurance policy for Wood, and we need an athletic tight end in this offense to compliment Chandler as well.

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind either option. What do you guys think?

Love the realistic one. It makes the most sense IMO. I don't want to start all over again, that's not going to solve a thing

Keep Chan. Scrap Wildcat. Sign Vick. Draft Te'o. Trade Fitz for anything. Resign Byrd, Levitre, McKelvin. Draft Glennon and Nassib. Look into adding more LBs via free agency or waiver wire. Draft DaRick Rogers to go opposite Stevie. If Greg Jennings is available, take a look. Get a real QB coach, preferably someone who played position I.e. Frank Reich.

Other than Vick, I could not think of a better offseason that would be within the realm of possibility. Glennon, Nassib, Jennings, and Te'o, plus our current players re-signed and a capable OC, and the sky is the limit.

Here I go getting excited for 2013-2014 before this season even ends.

I just read the ProFootballTalk article about Nix conceding that he'd move up, if need be, to get a QB in this coming draft. I'm pretty good at discerning what people are really saying, and it seemed very clear to me after reading that article that Nix is going to give Gailey at least one more year. He mentions the Bengals as a team whose success he'd like to emulate (makes me shudder to say that). The article focuses on the QB/Wr tandem that was drafted 1,2 and that sparked their recent playoff run. However, he also mentioned the many years that Marvin Lewis had coached them, without success, prior to that draft. I know he was using that scenario as justification for keeping Chan - saying, in effect, Lewis had failed for almost 10 years before getting what he needed (the right QB) to be successful. That train of thought is at once valid and frustrating, because he's making an excuse for Gailey.

Anyway, because I do believe we'll have the same coaches in place next year, this is what I envision happening:

I think we take a LB with our first pick, unless we're somehow capable of getting Geno Smith - who is a QB, I think, they'd compare to Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III, and who I think would be ideal for Gailey's system.

If they take a LB with their first pick, they take a QB with their second.

Either way, we go into next year with a rookie QB with potential, 2 new LBer's (either draft, or F.A. - probably both), and a new WR.

I could see Buffalo making a run for Michael Vick, as well. Imagine if we drafted a promising young QB, brought in Vick, had new LB'ers and another WR as a weapon. I can't help but think the fanbase would once again be telling themselves, "This is the Year!". Vick would seemingly fit Gailey's system, and would certainly sell tickets and make Buffalo relevent to the media, but I don't think Gailey would be too excited about losing Fitzpatrick and his intelligence. That is the scary thing about Gailey and this offense - why is it so many QB's have struggled to be successful in it since he came here? I would hope Gailey would be flexible enough to cater to a more talented QB, if it came to choosing his system or the talent.

I also think next year is Nix's last year as GM. I believe he'll hand over the reigns to Whaley after the 2013 season. After all, Whaley must have been led to believe he would have a shot at GM within a few years - I can't imagine him leaving Pittsburgh to be indefinitely under Nix. I'm thinking Nix gets the QB, the WR, and the LB'ers this offseason, sees a team that is complete enough, talent wise, to compete with anyone, and says, "My job is done".

here is my "aggressive" take

1. Nix gracefully steps down or out, letting Whaley take over, which allows 2-3 to happen without losing 'face'

2. Gailey is fired

3. The Bills either pick a QB to start, or pick up an existing QB They have on the radar (Mallett? Flynn? Smith?), or both.

4. Hire Chip Kelly, or someone who will create a winning, go-get-it culture.

5. Find a LB "Captain" for the defense (Teo? Maualaga?)

6. Find a good WR.

No major coach is going to come to Buffalo given the franchise's current situation, but bringing a new coach in is a definite possibility. The Bills also need to get a QB. I think they need to bring in someone new, preferably someone who has a strong enough arm to play in Buffalo with the wind, like a Landry Jones, who is big, has a very strong arm, and had played against top competition with several stirring comeback wins this year.

Hopefully, the Bills will get another top WR either thru the draft or thru Free Agency along with a top flight LB. If those changes are made, I thing the Bills can compete next year for a playoff spot. I also don't think that Michael Vick is the answer. Not an accurate passer and too many injury problems, not even mentioning that it would be tough to root for him vs a more solid person.....

---->If we draft Geno Smith, we've lost our RD2 this year and RD1 next year.

---->This draft is solid for 3 rounds, but sucks for LB's after that. Lots of reaching later on.

---->Let's get Gailey an OC and Fitz some weapons before we throw the baby out with the bath water. Groom heir apparent. Draft 2 QB, 2 WR.

Trade Down with Dallas (they want Star Lotulelei at DT) or Arizona (they want QB choice)

RD1-Terrance Williams WRF Baylor in RD1 (Draft Scout's #1 WR)

RD2-Arthur Brown OLB43 Kansas State (Draft Scout's #1 OLB for most of the fall)

RD2-Ezekiel Ansah DE43 Brigham Young

RD3-Collin Klein QB Kansas State

RD4-Stedman Bailey WRF West Virginia

RD5-Zaviar Gooden OLB43 Missouri

RD6-Trey Millard FB Oklahoma

RD7-Seth Doege QB texas Tech

For the record - I don't want M. Vick. I want a rookie QB with potential. I was merely envisioning things the Bills might do - and going after M. Vick seems like the kind of thing the Bills would do to sell tickets. I would like to see a high round drafted QB come in and get every chance to start.

I think Nix will step down after the draft. If the Bills lose out I think Gailey is fired. More realistic they win one of the next two. Nix states they're close and they bring back Gailey until the bye week next year. The Bills draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd to be the backup for the QB the new coach takes in the 1st rd in 2014.

I think Nix will step down after the draft. If the Bills lose out I think Gailey is fired. More realistic they win one of the next two. Nix states they're close and they bring back Gailey until the bye week next year. The Bills draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd to be the backup for the QB the new coach takes in the 1st rd in 2014.

If Gailey is back next year and they draft a QB, Gailey is the HC for atleast 2-3 more seasons because they will have the excuse of a 'yound QB developing". I want Chan gone before the QB of the future is drafted, but I know that will not happen.

Michael Vick paid his debt to society. OK, I get that. But he is not the person I want the kids in WNY looking at in a Bills uniform.

And, I have seen Vick in person in the Ralph as the Atlanta QB.......a scrambler without a great arm...never get you to the SB...and already north of 30. Bottom line....we will never see Vick in a Bills uni.....IMO

finally, I am thinking whatever it takes to get Landry Jones....all those starts in the OK uniform.....he can play.

Edited by bigK14094

i can't believe people are willing to ax Fitz... for Vick. shows how insane some people are.

I get the "we need a franchise QB" but there is no way vick is the answer. that is a FACT, not opinion.

Vick's athleticism ALONE makes him a better QB than Fitzpatrick. You don't need a brain surgeon to play QB, but you do need a playmaker. Was Fitzpatrick any smarter than Trent Edwards? Probably not. Trent was just as smart, more accurate and had a stronger arm than Fitzpatrick, he just wasn't a playmaker!

---->If we draft Geno Smith, we've lost our RD2 this year and RD1 next year.

---->This draft is solid for 3 rounds, but sucks for LB's after that. Lots of reaching later on.

---->Let's get Gailey an OC and Fitz some weapons before we throw the baby out with the bath water. Groom heir apparent. Draft 2 QB, 2 WR.

Trade Down with Dallas (they want Star Lotulelei at DT) or Arizona (they want QB choice)

RD1-Terrance Williams WRF Baylor in RD1 (Draft Scout's #1 WR)

RD2-Arthur Brown OLB43 Kansas State (Draft Scout's #1 OLB for most of the fall)

RD2-Ezekiel Ansah DE43 Brigham Young

RD3-Collin Klein QB Kansas State

RD4-Stedman Bailey WRF West Virginia

RD5-Zaviar Gooden OLB43 Missouri

RD6-Trey Millard FB Oklahoma

RD7-Seth Doege QB texas Tech

You could give Fitz Megatron and AJ Green and he still won't succeed! Fitz can't hit the routes to the outside and can't throw the deep ball with accuracy. Love Collin Klein. Born leader, but can be had later in draft unless he wows at combine or pre-draft workouts. Here's my wish list:

1) Te'o

2) Arthur Brown Jr.

2) Da'Rick Rogers-Tennessee Tech-WR

3) Cordarrelle Patterson-Tennessee-WR

4) Ryan Nassib-Syracuse-QB

5) Andrew Jackson-Western Kentucky-LB

6) Collin Klein. Some people not sold on him, hope he drops this far. Yes another QB.

7) Sam Schwartzstein-Stanford-C

This is providing they bring in Michael Vick to QB next year.

I love the effort you put into your post. I'll go line by line in my reply.

AO 1: Chip Kelly has never coached in the NFL. That is a major concern to me. I don't mind college head coaches being hired as NFL head coaches but when they've never even been in an NFL locker room, that's a big concern for me.

AO 2: I don't like Vick for numerous reasons but the foremost is that Gailey would have to create a new offense for Vick and if your starting QB plays a different style than your backup, you have to have two different offenses. I think that's a recipe for failure. You want a system that all your quarterbacks can play and be comfortable in.

AO 3: Agreed

AO 4: I'd like to keep Fitz around as a mentor/backup.

AO 5: Shrewd veteran signings are always a hoped for part of the offseason.

RO 1: As I've posted before, I'd like Gailey to delegate more and concentrate on game managing. I do believe he's spread too thin. But I'm not sure that he would necessarily become a good game manager if relieved of his play calling duties. It's an assumption that may not be true.

RO 2: LOVE both these players.

RO 3: It's early and we don't know where the Bills are drafting. In principle, if they reach a bit with their first pick to grab a QB, I'm good with that. If they take BPA with their first pick and trade back into the first round for a QB, I'm good with that too.

RO 4: Wouldn't mind a veteran WR free agent upgrade. It really depends upon the price as far as how I'd feel about it.

RO 5: I think you draft for BPA more than for need. I'd like the Bills to glut up on WRs and LBs but there are plenty of draft picks to address multiple positions.

Vick's athleticism ALONE makes him a better QB than Fitzpatrick. You don't need a brain surgeon to play QB, but you do need a playmaker. Was Fitzpatrick any smarter than Trent Edwards? Probably not. Trent was just as smart, more accurate and had a stronger arm than Fitzpatrick, he just wasn't a playmaker!

michael vick would drive us all batty within a few weeks. over the hill and never great to start with. waste of time, energy and resources.

Michael Vick paid his debt to society. OK, I get that. But he is not the person I want the kids in WNY looking at in a Bills uniform.

And, I have seen Vick in person in the Ralph as the Atlanta QB.......a scrambler without a great arm...never get you to the SB...and already north of 30. Bottom line....we will never see Vick in a Bills uni.....IMO

finally, I am thinking whatever it takes to get Landry Jones....all those starts in the OK uniform.....he can play.

Dunno if Vick is the answer, but he has an incredible arm.

I'd rather bring him in for the 7 games he could play than draft the next Brady Quinn or Jimmy Claussen (top QBs in a bad year for QBs).

People need to remember that Chip Kelly is from New Hampshire, he wouldn't automatically rule out moving back to this side of the country. Plus, imagine what he could do w/ a RB like Spiller and a QB like Vick/rookie we bring in (hopefully Smith, or not one this year and trade up to get Jonny Football next year).

Trading Fitz to AZ would be a fantastic move. I think we could even get a second rounder. As bad as Fitz is, the only team with a worse QB situation is AZ. Fitzgerald is literally wasting away (and he had some average-bad QB's at Pitt and produced).

Love the idea of drafting Jones from GA at LB.

Draft a big WR, or bring in Jennings and Finley.

I love looking to next year but I have to chime in on one thing that even a dreamer liked me can't buy ... there is NO WAY anyone, even AZ, would give us a 4th round pick for Fitz, let alone the 2nd (that's certifiable) or 3rd that some folks dream of getting. I'd be thrilled but it's very naive to think pro personnel don't see what us amateurs see, i.e., Fitz is nothing more than a mediocre starter at best. Why wouldn't AZ do what we all think the Bills should do--draft a QB (albeit a day late and 50 million dollars short) and sign Vick or perhaps trade for Flynn, Cousins, etc... Google Fitz and his weaknesses are what you'll find documented. If Buddy can convince someone to give us a 3rd (please, no mention of 2nd) he'll have paid us back 25¢ on the dollar. I'll take that at this point.

People need to remember that Chip Kelly is from New Hampshire, he wouldn't automatically rule out moving back to this side of the country. Plus, imagine what he could do w/ a RB like Spiller and a QB like Vick/rookie we bring in (hopefully Smith, or not one this year and trade up to get Jonny Football next year).

Trading Fitz to AZ would be a fantastic move. I think we could even get a second rounder. As bad as Fitz is, the only team with a worse QB situation is AZ. Fitzgerald is literally wasting away (and he had some average-bad QB's at Pitt and produced).

Love the idea of drafting Jones from GA at LB.

Draft a big WR, or bring in Jennings and Finley.

2nd Rounder for Fitz. Uh...Nevermind...