Elementary school shootings in CT: Principal, multiple students killed

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more these public shootings happen, the more they happen. You can't stop crazy, but I have an issue with the way the media has covered such events. I can give them a pass for Columbine, since it was really the first of its kind in the modern 24 hour news cycle, but subsequent shootings like VA Tech, Dark Knight Rises, Norway, etc. the coverage strikes me as irresponsible.

The murderers aren't glorified, but they are given some credibility. The news shows pics of these guys in fatigues, wearing kevlar, posing with guns, anchors describe the photos as chilling. They cover the "detailed, military like" planning that went into the "attack". MSM describes these losers like commandos, and every loser who shoots up a school or mall gets their 15 minutes of fame. And the attention is what most of these losers are looking for.

I hope that future reporting largely ignores the perpetrators of these acts or derides them like the losers they are.

The more these public shootings happen, the more they happen. You can't stop crazy, but I have an issue with the way the media has covered such events. I can give them a pass for Columbine, since it was really the first of its kind in the modern 24 hour news cycle, but subsequent shootings like VA Tech, Dark Knight Rises, Norway, etc. the coverage strikes me as irresponsible.

The murderers aren't glorified, but they are given some credibility. The news shows pics of these guys in fatigues, wearing kevlar, posing with guns, anchors describe the photos as chilling. They cover the "detailed, military like" planning that went into the "attack". MSM describes these losers like commandos, and every loser who shoots up a school or mall gets their 15 minutes of fame. And the attention is what most of these losers are looking for.

I hope that future reporting largely ignores the perpetrators of these acts or derides them like the losers they are.

A lot of what you are saying rings true for me...

You know, if there wasn't media, especially that commie, pinko liberal biased media... This wouldn't have happened. Let's take away the yellow journalism. Guns don't kill... The media does!

? Yes, it is the medias fault...

When did I blame the media?

?

You didn't suggest that the media's attention to the shooters was feeding the craving these "losers" have for attention?

If that wasn't what you were trying to say, what were you trying to say?

Edited by Buftex

You didn't suggest that the media's attention to the shooters was feeding the craving these "losers" have for attention?

If that wasn't what you were trying to say, what were you trying to say?

Yes, I stated that crazy, attention starved sociopaths know that they can get noticed and have their 15 minutes of fame by shooting up a public place. How the hell have you assumed causality from that idea?

Edited by Jauronimo

When did I blame the media?

?

I don't think you were blaming the media either. I think any criticism of the media is fair, good or bad. We are consumers and we have a right to evaluate their work. And I certainly understand the idea of not providing attention to the attention-starved psychos who commit these heinous acts. But that's the price we'll have to pay in order to bring these events to full light. And they need to be no matter how difficult. It is imperative that a national dialogue is engaged in concerning all aspects of the event. The media's attention is the necessary catalyst to make that happen. Especially in a free society.

You know, if there wasn't media, especially that commie, pinko liberal biased media... This wouldn't have happened. Let's take away the yellow journalism. Guns don't kill... The media does!

Yes, let's turn this into a political game. Classless, EiL.