Elementary school shootings in CT: Principal, multiple students killed

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indefensible, Indeed: A Year after Sandy Hook

We’ve done so little since Sandy Hook. We might have done so much. Our laws governing mental illness have been in chaos since the total victory of the Cultural Revolution. Lunatics are left to wallow in misery and create misery — merely one more aspect of a society the Left will not defend and will not change.

Left-wing Society: Indefensible and Unalterable! That’s the motto of today’s Democrats, the most reactionary party since the post-Napoleon Bourbons. It would have been a perfect five-word inaugural address for President Obama, both times. Why don’t we see it on more bumper stickers?

It’s the same with the nonsense-lawsuits in which our physicians have been flailing and drowning for years. It’s the same with our tax code.(How much money in citizen-hours do we burn every year just complying with out idiot tax code? But for Democrats, mere citizen-hours are like citizen-dollars — funny money. Worthless.)

Firearms and the Cowardly Left

I have long argued that if the Left is serious in its stated desire to prevent shootings, it will put its money where its mouth is, dispense with futile and knee-jerk solutions, and adumbrate what it truly believes. It will stop pretending that background checks have anything to do with massacres. It will bother to learn something about firearms so that it doesn’t embarrass itself during every argument. It will stop focusing on rifles, which in 2011 were the tool used in 323 deaths — just half of the 728 deaths caused by “hands and fists” — and it will instead focus on handguns, which were used in 6,220. Banning handguns, remember, used to be the aim of the anti-gun movement — until this became politically untenable.

Because D.C. vs. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago rendered incontrovertible what all but the most dishonest observers knew to be true — that, like all of the others in the Bill of Rights, the right to bear arms applies to individuals — this will mean that progressives have to campaign for the outright repeal of the Second Amendment. Still, anti-gun types are always urging politicians to show “courage” on this issue, so I can’t imagine that will be too much of a problem. Right?

My piece today looks at the link between private sales and mass shootings. It is, as you might imagine, pretty much non-existent. And yet, inexplicably, this is what campaigners have focused on since Sandy Hook — and continue to focus on to this day:

{snip}

To take even a cursory look at the data is to realize that hanging a background-check bill on a massacre isn’t just wrong, it’s deeply dishonest. It’s cowardly, too. My piece is here.