NFL Playoff expansion????

KellyToTasker

Well this would certainly help end the drought.....

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/31367/Goodell--NFL-considering-expanding-playoffs-to-14-or-16-teams/Default.aspx

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke Wednesday about possibly expanding the playoffs, Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com reports.

"Right now we're with 12 teams obviously. We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," Goodell said.

Goodell made it clear that the competition committee has considered such expansion in the past, and it clearly hasn't happened. The benefits of more playoff games are obvious: more teams involved in the race late in the season, and theoretically more television money.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this would certainly help end the drought.....

http://www.theredzon...ms/Default.aspx

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke Wednesday about possibly expanding the playoffs, Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com reports.

"Right now we're with 12 teams obviously. We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," Goodell said.

Goodell made it clear that the competition committee has considered such expansion in the past, and it clearly hasn't happened. The benefits of more playoff games are obvious: more teams involved in the race late in the season, and theoretically more television money.

Hell yeah, this is win win for every one; league makes more money bc of more games and all htat goes with it and more cities and fans are excited about there chances of making it to the playoffs.

Just think we would have made the playoffs all of Jaurons years :D .

I've made comments about the playoff format before about how I didn't agree with how it was currently setup. I still believe the top 2 teams in each division should make the playoffs every year. Otherwise you see things like last year where 3 teams from the AFC north made the playoffs and only 1 team from the other AFC divisions. And if people are worried about crappy teams making the playoffs based on this I can only think of the 2010 Seahawks that got in at 7-9 and went on to beat the 11-5 Saints.

And get rid of the first round bye. That way adding teams to the playoffs would not lengthen playoffs.

Edited by The Wiz

14 or 16 teams? You'd be getting 8-8 teams.

No thanks, the playoffs are fine the way they are.

This. Like expansion has diluted the professional sports leagues over the years, adding more playoff teams would dilute the playoffs.

I agree the Bills would have a better chance and it's good for the league ($$$$), blah, blah, blah....but just be prepared for the quality of play to diminish a tad. Think of it this way - if they had 8 teams from each conference get in, the Jets would be in right now and play the Texans in round 1.

Yes...I said the Jets. The team whose QB fumbled because he ran into his own lineman.

If you've ever read my sure-fire plan to improve the NFL, one idea was to add a 3rd wild card team and give only the #1 seed a bye week. Someone at the NFL obviously reads my posts. :rolleyes:

PTR

PTR a 3rd wild card game? Or 7th seed to play #2 seed?

Last as bad as we've been the last 13 seasons what years would we have made the playoffs of it were expanded to 8 teams?

Outside of 2004, does one of Jauron's perennial 7-9 teams make it? That's sad probably 1 team would make the playoffs in 13 years with 2 extra teams!

eighteen games and sixteen playoff teams would be awesome

Are you kidding me? Why even bother playing the game then? What's the point of playing regular season NFL Games??? Just start it off as playoffs then if we'd put your logic into effect...