NFL Playoff expansion????

KellyToTasker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nahh he can't - NFL player association will insist that they are taking food out of the mouths of the players' children. They will claim it will do irreparable harm to players' ability to make money on side jobs during off season and we know it means players will need to get cleaner one week sooner.

No actually, the players reps that I have talked to in some capacity would be in favor of a second bye week as it would allow for more rest and healthier players. There is a reason why the NCAA caps teams at 12 games, part of it is for rest and rehab purposes.

No actually, the players reps that I have talked to in some capacity would be in favor of a second bye week as it would allow for more rest and healthier players. There is a reason why the NCAA caps teams at 12 games, part of it is for rest and rehab purposes.

Shorten pre-season. Problem solved.

Shorten pre-season. Problem solved.

I actually disagree with that in some ways. The pre-season should have a longer non-contact phase like the OTA's but as part of camp. A lot of the injuries from pre-season are from players that are not in condition, and thus would alleviate some of this burden.

Furthermore, it is burdensome on the body to be going full tilt every week straight for 3 months in a collision sport. More rest time in between would reduce injury rates and raise the level of play as well.

Edited by justnzane

To go to 7 playoff teams per confe3rence makes it difficult for scheduleing. 8 teams makes it easier......

but instead of a 1 vs 8 set up....they will follow the model of what many smaller conferences in NCAA do for their tourne where the #1 and #2 seeds get double byes, #3 and 4 get single byes and then the #5-#8 plasy their way through.....so a playoff formet would be:

week 1: 8 at 5, 7 at 6

week 2: 8/5 at 4 7/6 at 3

week 3: 8/5/4 at 1 7/6/3 at 2

week 4: Conference Championship Games

week 5: Super Bowl

For schedule they could come to an agreement to add another game plus another bye week for a 19 week schedule. The season starts the weekend before Labor Day. Tennis hasnt started yet. Week 1 it will be dual DH weekends for both networks...the other dual doubleheaders will be a weekend in November and week 19.

Another option in the playoffs because of the unbalanced schedule is to just allow the top 2 teams in each division to advance to the playoffs irrelevant of record.

Its hard to read good/bad teams when teams have much more difficult schedules because of the two divisions they had to play that year.

Don't have a link to source but apparently no sub 500 team would have made the playoffs had the number of teams been expanded to what Goddell suggested. I thought that was interesting. I am fine the way it is though.

However in previous seasons, sub 500 teams have snuck into the playoffs.

At least I know the Seahawks did 2 years ago. And I think there are more.

But I agree.

An expansion of the playoff field is absurd.

You are right.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/

I believe I was watching NFL AM or something like that, I am not sure what they were referencing then. Perhaps it was no more sub 500 teams would have made the playoffs. Seattle would have been the only one that year even if the number was expanded. I bet this happens, the money is too good for the NFL to pass up.

12 is the right # I really really hope they don't change it. Letting too many teams in has made a farce out of NBA and NHL regular seasons

Too many games make a farce out of those leagues even before any discussion about how many teams make the playoffs.

Hell yeah, this is win win for every one; league makes more money bc of more games and all htat goes with it and more cities and fans are excited about there chances of making it to the playoffs.

Just think we would have made the playoffs all of Jaurons years :D .

Yeah, but we'd still be stuck with Jauron and meidacoracy!

+1

They should go back to 3 divisions and one WC per conference. None of the teams that lost this weekend looked like they belonged anywhere near the playoffs.

Redskins looked good minus Shananhan's idiotic move to play RGIII. And the Colts looked good, they just ran into a Ravens defense from 2000.

However in previous seasons, sub 500 teams have snuck into the playoffs.

At least I know the Seahawks did 2 years ago. And I think there are more.

But I agree.

An expansion of the playoff field is absurd.

i would vote no to expansion. The regular season is so good right now. Every game matters. And I love the playoff format.

yet a 10-6 team could miss the playoffs simply because there's not enough playoff spots, does that seem fair to you?

Even if its an 8-8 team, playoffs bring something good to a smaller market that perhaps helps them survive going up against bigger markets. Extra playoff games could be the difference between a profitable season to help secure the teams future.

I don't know about you fellas, but an 8-8 Bills team making the playoffs this season would sure put a smile on my face...

good point about the 10-6 teams though. But I still like it the way it is. now watch, we go 10-6 next year and miss the playoffs, I'll become a hypocrite and change my mind . :doh::thumbsup: