NFL Playoff expansion????

KellyToTasker

Hell yeah, this is win win for every one; league makes more money bc of more games and all htat goes with it and more cities and fans are excited about there chances of making it to the playoffs.

Just think we would have made the playoffs all of Jaurons years :D .

But then Jauron would still be the coach... wait, he kind of still is. We have the same kind of coach that should still just be a coordinator.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they did that under the current playoff format.

yet a 10-6 team could miss the playoffs simply because there's not enough playoff spots, does that seem fair to you?

Even if its an 8-8 team, playoffs bring something good to a smaller market that perhaps helps them survive going up against bigger markets. Extra playoff games could be the difference between a profitable season to help secure the teams future.

I don't know about you fellas, but an 8-8 Bills team making the playoffs this season would sure put a smile on my face...

PTR a 3rd wild card game? Or 7th seed to play #2 seed?

Last as bad as we've been the last 13 seasons what years would we have made the playoffs of it were expanded to 8 teams?

Outside of 2004, does one of Jauron's perennial 7-9 teams make it? That's sad probably 1 team would make the playoffs in 13 years with 2 extra teams!

Nope, even in 2004 we finished 9th with tiebreakers. Even if the playoff system had been 8 teams all along, we would still be in a 13 year drought :bag:

Even if its an 8-8 team, playoffs bring something good to a smaller market that perhaps helps them survive going up against bigger markets. Extra playoff games could be the difference between a profitable season to help secure the teams future.

Not sure what the fascination with small markets is when it comes to the NFL. And do you really think the NFL is going to enact rule changes to help the small markets? I don't.

I think 7 teams in from each conference is an excellent idea. Think of all it would accomplish:

1) With only 1 bye teams that jump out wouldn't be able to rest their starters as early. This would guarantee competitive games later in the season as they would still have something to play for.

2) More teams with an opportunity allows for more fan bases to stay involved longer. Think about how many Bills fans check out as soon as they are eliminated. All of them would still have hope which in turn leads to more viewers, higher attendance, more dollars!

3) It would bring into balance the % of teams making the playoffs after expansion as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

4) More football! Who doesn't want this?

This reminds me of the wild card discussion in baseball. The idea was panned and people hated it - fast forward a few years and it has become a great idea (until they messed with it this year).

• 3 weeks later...

The NFL knows that they will approach a point of diminishing returns soon based on Americans' diminishing income, increased debt, the slow transition to ala carte TV viewing, and the latest CBA. We all know it costs serious money to be football fans and most of the ones I know are already maxed out in that sense. Greed is one thing, but the reality is that the NFL is in a tenuous financial position moving forward, and the bulk of there money comes from people who themselves are in major debt. The corporate sponsors are in the same boat. If and when the municipal bond bubble bursts it could theoretically freeze the majority of investment in new facilities and renovations for a long time.

He can accomplish the same season extension by adding a second bye week and staying at 16 games.

PTR

Nahh he can't - NFL player association will insist that they are taking food out of the mouths of the players' children. They will claim it will do irreparable harm to players' ability to make money on side jobs during off season and we know it means players will need to get cleaner one week sooner.