Trade for Phillip Rivers?

Trade for Rivers?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to trade for Phillip Rivers?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you compare the Bills offense to the Chargers?

Receiver corps... Malcolm Floyd (22) is ranked better then SJ (30)

Tight End, Gates tied with Chandler @ (82)

O Line, Bills was better, not anymore with Wood & Hairston on IR

coaching, Chargers

I'd say the Chargers have been a better team the last 6 years, save this year at 4-8. They still have more talent in every area save RB. Its Phillip Rivers who has screwed the team this season 18TD / 15 INT and has been a turnover machine all year... 11 fumbles! Frankenrivers!

:wacko:

Let me first start at the bottom; SD's problems on the OL started LAST YEAR with the whole Marcus McNeill saga. That left them without their stud LT for nearly half the season (he only played 9 games). At the same time, the whole Dielman seizure issue cost them another 10 games from a starter. That left them with a God awful patchwork OL last year for much of the season, and that just further led to the decline of the Chargers' O after the departure of LT (see my last point for more)

Floyd is ranked better than SJ in what, receiving yards? Clearly that must be on SJ13 and not on Fitzpatrick, right? Floyd gets 15 yds/reception, Stevie gets 12.8. But if you take away that 63 yarder, which IMO is an anomaly when you look at Stevie's body of work the past three seasons, and change it to a more typical Stevie catch of say, 13 yards, his YPC is somewhere around 11.9 depending on how you round. Rivers' arm strength is stronger than Fitz's, no doubt in my mind. Rivers is going to throw that 15 yard out on a rope. Fitz is going to shart himself trying to get it there and land it at his WR's feet.

I assume you use the same criteria for Chandler and Gates. As I mentioned before, Gates is on the tail-end of his career and is clearly not the same player he was just a few years ago, before the chronic injuries. Couple his decay with the absence of a consistent running game and AGAIN you have the deck stacked against the Chargers' pass game.

Which moves me on to my next point. The Bills' run game at this point COULD be considered one of the elite of the NFL. Kind of like SD had back with LT. And kind of the complete opposite of what they have now. If you gave Rivers the CJ/Freddie combo, he would be just as dangerous as he used to be. yeah, he will always throw picks. That's how he plays. BUT unlike Fitz, he has the arm to hit deep balls and I would rather see a QB throw picks on a deep ball than a pick 6 at the LOS.

Dude would be straight up lethal with a top-notch possession WR duo of Stevie and Nelson, a burner like Graham who has already shown he can get behind the DBs, a consistent TE in Chandler, and an excellent run game.

I can't even address the fact you think Norv is a better coach than Chan. They're both turds.

I voted NO.

But here is what I like: Toughness, Competitiveness, Arm Strength, Pocket Awareness.

Here is what I don't like: Ackward sidearm throwing motion leaves ball exposed for fumbling, Locks on to primary read, Forces too many throws, Requires a great line like Bledsoe, Has never won AFC (Big Game when team was stacked 06, 07, 08, Age turns 31 this month.

and train fitz to be the OC as suggested in another thread. that really can work :D

he maybe can double as OC and back-up QB. cheap ralph will like that :devil:

sounds good :lol:

I agree with this post. Rivers is 31 and from what I can find has 3 years left on the extension he signed in 2009. That takes the pressure off drafting a QB this year, and instead lets them focus on filling the more pressing holes at LB (Barnett is 32), CB2, possibly WR2 and possibly SS unless Searcy pans out.

Then, ideally in the 2014 draft, you get your QB of the future and let him sit, study and develop for a year or two (a la Rodgers and Rivers himself).

Johnny Football :flirt:

Or if he can return to form, the team doesn't have to worry about a QB for 6-7 years.

I believe he would with our line and RBs, we just need to upgrade the WRs.

little to no run game because of the always injured Mathews, NO O line because of McNeill/Dielman injuries/retirements, no real weapons besides an aging Gates due to letting VJax and others walk and a series of poor drafts....that team is an absolute disaster. That's not on Rivers, its on the indescribably terrible job AJ Smith has done in the last 5 years or so.

winner!

Rivers has 6 kids. He's probably exhausted by the time he gets to the stadium

Trying to catch up with Travis Henry :devil:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

This is madness. Rivers is AWFUL under pressure. And, as another OP mentioned, his wacky sidearm motion leads to alot of forced fumbles. Another thing that irks me about Rivers is his incessant cry-babying. He whines to the refs every time someone puts a hit on him.

Add to that his dislike of cold weather because of his delicate lady-hands. He wouldn't be worth a damn at home in December.

Screw Rivers. -I'd be far more interested in his backup, former LSU QB Jarrett Lee. :thumbsup:

I've read so much stupid shite, I'm nearly speechless.

Its the grass is always greener mentality...

The fact is Rivers sucks this year, and he could be hitting the wall in his career. The Bills offensive scheme, O line, receiver corps isn't that much of an upgrade over what Rivers plays with now, save at RB which the Bills HC refuses to utilize to their maximum ability's. Instead Gailey would have Rivers throwing as much as he does in SD, if not more. The result would be about the same mess the guy was IN SD. 11 fumbles and 18 TD / 15 INT's. I watched the guy lose game after game this year trying to win the game on his own.

So what happens if the Bills LOT suddenly goes down with an injury early next season ...4-8 at week 14? And a wasted top draft pick.

Why on gods green earth do the Buffalo Bills want to waste a draft pick on another "broken" QB that nobody at OBD could possibly fix?

If someone can tell me how Rivers isn't Trent Edwards, I'll listen.

He throws the ball downfield

This is madness. Rivers is AWFUL under pressure. And, as another OP mentioned, his wacky sidearm motion leads to alot of forced fumbles. Another thing that irks me about Rivers is his incessant cry-babying. He whines to the refs every time someone puts a hit on him.

Add to that his dislike of cold weather because of his delicate lady-hands. He wouldn't be worth a damn at home in December.

Screw Rivers. -I'd be far more interested in his backup, former LSU QB Jarrett Lee. :thumbsup:

Whining to the refs is the new trademark of great QB's ( see Tom Brady)

I suggest that you offer options in your poll in terms of how much to give up for him.

No question it will take a first round pick

I'm in...I don't know much about formulas for draft picks, but I would give up a 3rd rounder or two or maybe a 3rd & a 4th in different years.

Either way, I like the idea of getting him now and drafting a QB next year...can't say I'm thrilled with this year's crop. That way, Buddy can get Manti Te'o and a solid complement to Stevie.

Its the grass is always greener mentality...

The fact is Rivers sucks this year, and he could be hitting the wall in his career. The Bills offensive scheme, O line, receiver corps isn't that much of an upgrade over what Rivers plays with now, save at RB which the Bills HC refuses to utilize to their maximum ability's. Instead Gailey would have Rivers throwing as much as he does in SD, if not more. The result would be about the same mess the guy was IN SD. 11 fumbles and 18 TD / 15 INT's. I watched the guy lose game after game this year trying to win the game on his own.

So what happens if the Bills LOT suddenly goes down with an injury early next season ...4-8 at week 14? And a wasted top draft pick.

Why on gods green earth do the Buffalo Bills want to waste a draft pick on another "broken" QB that nobody at OBD could possibly fix?

I dunno...TALENT.

I'm on the other side with Rivers. His Oline is at the other end of the spectrum from the Bills. And his weapons consist of Antonio Gates (every other week) and ?? I think it's insane not to consider a QB with his talent considering what the Bills are starting now and what they have in the pipeline (nothing). I think he would make stars out of guys like TJ Graham and Donald Jones, who are frequently open but rarely get the ball accurately and on time. Yeah. I'd trade for Rivers in a heartbeat.....or not....they do need another corner (that's a joke).

Edited by JPS

Johnny Football :flirt:

I believe it's Johnny Heisman now my friend. :thumbsup: And that is the A&M QB I would love to see in a Bills' uni in another year or two.

I'm undecided on Rivers. On one hand, he is clearly better than Fitz. On the other hand, he has this brat-ish attitude that we have all seen. The guy does love the game though, as we all saw in the playoff game versus Indy where he played the 2nd half with a torn ACL. He is 31, but many QB's play into their late 30's now. Look at what Peyton is accomplishing @ 36. If the price is right I would do it, but I would give up nothing higher than maybe a couple of 3rd's for the guy. No 2nd round picks and surely no 1st.

I have changed my mind actually...I originally did vote YES on a trade for him, but was also only willing to part with reasonable compensation. However, Rivers has had no talent to work with and a terrible coach. Now that he has Alexander emerging as a real weapon, all of a sudden he is looking better...this despite no other weapons at all and a terrible OL with no run game and a front office and coaching staff on their way out.

I would be willing to part with more...even a first and some change.

But here is the problem...this is NEVER going to happen. Any new coach coming in is going to want to see what they can do with him FIRST before trading him and starting from scratch. He is young enough to keep still. He is no spring chicken, but SD doent need a total rebuild, they just need more talent and weapons for the guys they have. So this is a pipe dream, he is going no where unless someone offers a bounty of unimaginable proportions.

I have changed my mind actually...I originally did vote YES on a trade for him, but was also only willing to part with reasonable compensation. However, Rivers has had no talent to work with and a terrible coach. Now that he has Alexander emerging as a real weapon, all of a sudden he is looking better...this despite no other weapons at all and a terrible OL with no run game and a front office and coaching staff on their way out.

I would be willing to part with more...even a first and some change.

But here is the problem...this is NEVER going to happen. Any new coach coming in is going to want to see what they can do with him FIRST before trading him and starting from scratch. He is young enough to keep still. He is no spring chicken, but SD doent need a total rebuild, they just need more talent and weapons for the guys they have. So this is a pipe dream, he is going no where unless someone offers a bounty of unimaginable proportions.

i think people are so used to SD being stacked with talent that they dont realize this is a team without LT, Sproles, VJax, has an aging Gates, and a line that lost 2 probowlers to career ending injuries.

this week they lost 4 starting offensive lineman from kick off on Sunday the 2 til hardwick went down in the first quarter. 4 starting lineman gone in 5 quarters, on a line that was already patchwork before last week.

i dont know what hes worth - and that all doesnt excuse his own issues but... hes certainly better than most are giving credit for.

Edited by NoSaint

It’s a nice thought and all but it’s a pipe dream…and that dream would cost us way too much. SD will use Rivers as a selling point to the prospective new coaches. Only if that new coach wants to bring in someone else would Rivers become available and if that were to happen, the price would be steep. My guess is they would go after the same package the Raiders gave up for Palmer and I don’t think Rivers at 31 years old would be worth 2 1st round picks. If we could get him for maybe a 2nd & 3rd, I’d be all for it.