Trade for Phillip Rivers?

Trade for Rivers?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to trade for Phillip Rivers?

huh??? Philip Rivers is now a bust? 4 pro bowls. Lifetime 94.8 QBR.

mcnasty, my good friend, YE OLE is with you on this one. Now it's entirely possible that Rivers has simply hit a wall and will be in a steep decline from here on out. Now YE doesn't personally believe that is the case, but that's at least plausible... but where are these arguments coming from that this guy is just another mediocre retread... and going as far as to compare him to Trent Edwards?

The Chargers are 4-8 this year, but Rivers is completing over 65% of his passes and is on pace for another 4000 yard season and roughly 24 TD's. If this is the worst season we ever got out of our QB, sign YE OLE up. The Chargers have problems, and Rivers isn't playing as well as he had become accustomed to, but this guy has been VERY good and at 31 may very well have several years left in the tank.

Just imagine how much more difficult it would be on opposing defenses to stop our run game, if they are forced to pull an extra defender out of the box, because when TJ Graham gets behind the defense (and from what we've seen it looks like that's a question of when not if), we're actually connecting on the deep ball. Rivers could make that happen.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked Rivers a lot...But my reservations come from wondering if he's now on the permanent decline path...He seems to have peaked in those 3 years (08-10) and now he's on a steady, albeit only 2 year, decline...

Bledsoe 2.0? B-)

Agreed...what would the price be....Next years 1? This years 2nd or 3rd? Not sure how to value these things

it would take at least a #1.....and i would do it in a heart beat......heck, i would give em two #1's or a #1,#2 & #3...

Rivers is 31....that prime for qb's....and is under a reasonable contract....

8/24/2009: Signed a seven-year, $98.25 million contract. The deal contains $38.15 million guaranteed, including a $19.55 million signing bonus, Rivers' 2009-2010 base salaries, and a second-year option bonus of $6 million. $6 million of Rivers' 2011 salary is guaranteed for injury, but not skill or performance. 2012: $10.2 million, 2013: $12 million, 2014: $13.8 million, 2015: $15.75 million, 2016: Free Agent

How would you compare the Bills offense to the Chargers?

Receiver corps... Malcolm Floyd (22) is ranked better then SJ (30)

Tight End, Gates tied with Chandler @ (82)

O Line, Bills was better, not anymore with Wood & Hairston on IR

coaching, Chargers

I'd say the Chargers have been a better team the last 6 years, save this year at 4-8. They still have more talent in every area save RB. Its Phillip Rivers who has screwed the team this season 18TD / 15 INT and has been a turnover machine all year... 11 fumbles! Frankenrivers!

Chargers have underperformed for the last 3-4 years, and just don't have the talent now. Stat sheet analysis doesn't show you how those games play out. It is true that Rivers hasn't been clutch over the last season or two, but it's also true that the team around him is responsible for a lot of those drops, picks, & fumbles. Rivers is the best player on the team.

Edited by Rob's House

I thought Alex Smith might be avail until I looked closer at his stats. Not enough for being picked 1-RD 1. Teams don't give away good gb's, thats how we got Rob Jonhson. I'd stay with Fitz and draft a qb . 2014 looks better at that position.

Phillip Rivers is an absolute stud.......we'd be lucky to get him.....

funny how really good QB's become bad when their Offensive Lines go from good to bad.....

San Diego is 28th in sacks allowed..

Thank you. Anyone slagging Rivers is just completely ignorant. No line. No WRs and No RBs. But he sucks? I would give up a 1 in a heartbeat. With the Bills line, RBs and spinkle in another good WR, they are cooking with gas.

I find it hard to believe they'd trade him at all. Hell, how old is Manning?? Rivers may have 5-7 solid years left. The Bills would be flippin nuts not to make that deal.

I've always liked Rivers a lot...But my reservations come from wondering if he's now on the permanent decline path...He seems to have peaked in those 3 years (08-10) and now he's on a steady, albeit only 2 year, decline...

Bledsoe 2.0? B-)

Has Rivers declined? Or has AJ Smith screwed him by letting Tomlinson, Turner, Sproles and VJax walk over the last 4-5 years. Not to mention failing to draft any decent O-linemen.

It's about tools fellas. And Rivers has more than a few of them. He can flat out sling it way better, further, wider, deeper and more accurately than #14. Plus what it would do for the psyche of Bills fans....it's a no brainer. But I doubt SD will give him up.

I would love if we made a reasonable move for him

Washington's RG3 trade was unreasonable...until he took the field.

I think it's worth bringing him in. He has been pretty underwhelming the last couple of years, but sometimes that can be chalked up to just being burned out with the mess that is SD. A change of scenery and he may wake back up.

of course, with our luck, it'll just be another McNabb situation.

This reeks of Bledsoe to me. Since Kelly retired, we have wasted draft picks on Billy Joe forgot to do my homework, Rob the cripple Johnson, Drew the Statue Bledslow, Johnathan Paul Lossman, Trent Concussed Edwards, and Levis 501 Brown. I'd rather they draft a highly touted QB without throwing them to the fire as a rookie (unless they are ready ala Griffin, Luck, P. Manning, etc...)

There was talk on NFL network that Rivers could be traded this offseason. Casserly said that with a good Oline and some weapons Rivers would be reborn. He went on to say that since Nix left San Diego they haven't drafted well, maybe it's time for a reunion and get Rivers over here. I think Chan would be able to use the deep ball more and would look a lot smarter with the calls he makes if Rivers is throwing the ball instead of Fitz who simple does not have the physical talent to be a starter in the NFL.

Ok, so I voted yes, but its a yes with conditions. I do not want to see us make a Carson Palmer type trade to get a QB on the downside of his career. That is a trade where we give up a bounty to get a stop gap...and a maybe stop gap. If we could trade for him and get him at a good value, then yes because he is still better than Fitz by a enough of a margin to make the trade.

That being said, all this talk of him being traded is all media talk to create strories with no real substantial facts behind it. I would say the odds of Rivers being traded are less than 10% and it would likely take a bounty if they actually did. He is proven to be a stud QB in the recent past, he suffers from a bad OL and no talented WR's and a TE on the last legs of his career. Not to mention a terrible coaching staff that has lost that team. Any new coach coming in is most likely going to want to see what he can get our of Rivers if they add some talent around him.

So...in other words, this will never happen. Not to us at least, and most likely not to anyone next year.

????? Maybe the 4 pro bowl seasons for starters. ????? Trenative. Haaaaaa

HAHAHAHA...holy s**t, someone just compared Rivers to Trentative? Wow, not sure how I missed that one...lol

You can also add to the list...talent, strong arm, leader, can complete a pass more than 6 yards, has balls, doesn't have a vagina, division champ, playoffs and playoff victories, isnt into Dakota Fanning, and most importantly relevance lol

Edited by Alphadawg7

HAHAHAHA...holy s**t, someone just compared Rivers to Trentative? Wow, not sure how I missed that one...lol

You can also add to the list...talent, strong arm, leader, can complete a pass more than 6 yards, has balls, doesn't have a vagina, division champ, playoffs and playoff victories, isnt into Dakota Fanning, and most importantly relevance lol

Philip Rivers is THE WHIP... FACT!