Trade for Phillip Rivers?

Trade for Rivers?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to trade for Phillip Rivers?

Rivers sucks and is past his prime. It's not just his o-line, there is something wrong with him physically and he can no longer make all the throws. And over the past three seasons, he's one of the least clutch QBs I've ever seen. At best, we'd be looking at a late career Bledsoe kind of return on an investment in Rivers. I'd rather draft a young QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (you know, the Kaepernick, Dalton, Wilson-types we keep passing on) and letting them develop for a year, than set ourselves back for 3-4 years with Rivers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rivers sucks and is past his prime. It's not just his o-line, there is something wrong with him physically and he can no longer make all the throws. And over the past three seasons, he's one of the least clutch QBs I've ever seen. At best, we'd be looking at a late career Bledsoe kind of return on an investment in Rivers. I'd rather draft a young QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (you know, the Kaepernick, Dalton, Wilson-types we keep passing on) and letting them develop for a year, than set ourselves back for 3-4 years with Rivers.

I admit, I have the same reservations. But then I started to see a shift in him once Alexander started to emerge and he started having a WR he could trust and count on. So I fully admit he could be another Bledsoe but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him find his groove again in another situation with more talent around him, after all, he is not that old by QB standards.

Again, all a mute point...Rivers will not be going anywhere next year.

not to mention it would sell the (potential withering) fan base on another season. My guess is that Buddy was in on drafting Rivers and if he believes in him, he will be our next QB until Johnny Football or Kelly's kid comes out via draft. By then, we have all the right pieces in place for the long term and could either get Kelly without giving up the farm, or Johnny Football because we are set everywhere else and giving up 3 first round picks won't seem as bad.

Just my thoughts in all of this. Id probably be happy if this worked out. As if late, I'm not enamored with Rivers, but I'd still take him. And I'm not sure in college QBs but simply just making a point. Insert which ever QBs you want for the argument, it still could hold true.

Kelly's kid?! What has he done in college football to be considered a prospect? Some of you guys, oy ve!

:thumbsup:

What is it with Bills fans that think that just by trading for a player will magically make all their faults go away? Drew Bledsoe is a good comparison to Rivers, and if given all day to throw and a fleet of good receivers they guy might make a comback. As it is he is a broken QB I'm pretty certain that most Bills fans don't watch Rivers as much as Charger fans do, and the majority of Charger fans think he sucks. He had the very best talent in the NFL around him for years and couldn't get to the SB!!

First, Rivers is 6'5" but his release point is not of someone who is 6'5''. Its been documented he has more then average balls deflected on him. Rivers' unorthodox mechanics were one of the questions people had about him before the 2004 NFL Draft. His low delivery potentially leaves him more vulnerable to getting passes knocked down at the line.

Second, speaking of mechanics, the man doesn't always step into his throws and his arm isn't as strong as everyone here thinks it is.

Third, Rivers is strictly a pocket passer and needs a very strong O line to enable him to make his throws. The Bills have Fitz who OTOH is very mobile, and gets the ball out in 3 seconds or under and still gets hit way to often. In a perfect world with no injuries the Bills line might be better then the Chargers. Then again, looking at the injuries that hit this line every year I highly doubt the Bills line is currently anywhere near as good as the Chargers line. The result would be the very same thing that killed Bledsoe in Buffalo.

Fourth, where are the decent receivers on the Bills that would even compare to the Chargers receiver corps? The Bills have ONE decent WR in SJ and the rest are sub par. Comparing Chadler to Gates is a joke, Gates is way better but often triple covered and opposing teams defenses work to take him away.

The last thing this team needs is a statue at QB that needs 4-5 seconds to make throws

http://profootballta...p-rivers-flaws/

Edited by FeartheLosing

Went through 9 lineman protecting him over 4 quarters. His RG was the only player to start last week to finish the first quarter this week.

Forgetting the mess it was before that.

Recipe for disaster.

Hmm sounds like our line down to his 3rd RT and back up center, missing his LT for a few weeks earlier and only his LG in the lineup every week

Rivers was at his best with a dynamic run game. We have a dynamic run game. Anybody who doesn't think Rivers wouldn't be an upgrade is looking too hard for faults. Never mind the credibility he would bring to the team, something our coach and owner don't do .

:thumbsup:

What is it with Bills fans that think that just by trading for a player will magically make all their faults go away? Drew Bledsoe is a good comparison to Rivers, and if given all day to throw and a fleet of good receivers they guy might make a comback. As it is he is a broken QB I'm pretty certain that most Bills fans don't watch Rivers as much as Charger fans do, and the majority of Charger fans think he sucks. He had the very best talent in the NFL around him for years and couldn't get to the SB!!

First, Rivers is 6'5" but his release point is not of someone who is 6'5''. Its been documented he has more then average balls deflected on him. Rivers' unorthodox mechanics were one of the questions people had about him before the 2004 NFL Draft. His low delivery potentially leaves him more vulnerable to getting passes knocked down at the line.

Second, speaking of mechanics, the man doesn't always step into his throws and his arm isn't as strong as everyone here thinks it is.

Third, Rivers is strictly a pocket passer and needs a very strong O line to enable him to make his throws. The Bills have Fitz who OTOH is very mobile, and gets the ball out in 3 seconds or under and still gets hit way to often. In a perfect world with no injuries the Bills line might be better then the Chargers. Then again, looking at the injuries that hit this line every year I highly doubt the Bills line is currently anywhere near as good as the Chargers line. The result would be the very same thing that killed Bledsoe in Buffalo.

Fourth, where are the decent receivers on the Bills that would even compare to the Chargers receiver corps? The Bills have ONE decent WR in SJ and the rest are sub par. Comparing Chadler to Gates is a joke, Gates is way better but often triple covered and opposing teams defenses work to take him away.

The last thing this team needs is a statue at QB that needs 4-5 seconds to make throws

http://profootballta...p-rivers-flaws/

Thank you! I live in San Diego and can attest to the fact that this guy is Fitz without the mobility. Listen to sports radio here and you'd swear you were in Buffalo. "No arm. Underthrows receivers. Turnover machine. Unclutch. Game ending picks., etc." If you really like Fitz, but only wished he were more frequently sacked and lost more fumbles, then you'd absolutely love Rivers.

I'd welcome Rivers on the team, but it would depend on how much you'd have to give up for him.

Is Rivers worth giving up a 1st round pick? Maybe. A 2nd & 3rd round pick? Yes.

However, I think that it would be a 1000-1 shot that this happens.