Nix: Patience fans, patience (sorry, no Jay Rosen quotes)

Beerball

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That too.

And that's what worries me the most. They had Cousins ahead of Wilson. These are the guys who will be selecting "the next Jim Kelly." Yikes.

Too say Buddy Nix, Has historically drafted well in Buffalo IMO is really up for debate. But,having these guys make a pick in 2013. For a QB in what some are saying is a very weak class, is scary. This is the FO that put Team Fitzpatrick, and his amazing back-ups together.

That too.

And that's what worries me the most. They had Cousins ahead of Wilson. These are the guys who will be selecting "the next Jim Kelly." Yikes.

Tickets sales down were drafting a QB. These guys out there are clueless.

I'm sure they got stung by that. They got stung by Denver taking Tebow right before us the year before as well.

Missing on Tebow was a gift from god! Thank God we didn't draft that athlete,,,,,, I mean football player. Just what position he is actually good at is yet to be determined!

The Bills had the opportunity to take either Kapernick or Dalton in the second round a couple of years ago. Instead, Nix drafted Aaron Williams, a CB. The Bengals took Dalton after us in the second round. Now he is one of the main reasons why they are an ascending team. The 49ers under Harbaugh who already had a "credible" starter in Alex Smith took Kaepernick in the second round, again after us. Kaepernick was recently inserted as a starter on a team capable of competing for the SB. There is no doubt that Harbaugh saw enough potential in Kaepernick to draft him after Nix already made his seond round selection.

After this season the Bills will have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. One of the primary reasons for their sluggish performance is that they haven't had a legitimate franchise qb during that dismal interlude. Now our GM has belatedly determined that he needs an upgrade at qb. That hesitation to act will lengthen the timetable it will take for this team to be in position to make the playoffs because it takes time to develop a qb prospect.

Winning organizations make smart ahead of the curve decisions when assembling a roster. The Bills are a lackluster organization with commensurate outcomes because they don't seize opportunities when they are presented. This backwater organization preferred taking a cautious approach in addressing the most critical need at qb while other organizations took advantage of our drafting mistake.

The qb position is without a doubt the most important position in the game. The caliber of qb is the greatest determinant of a team being successful. You don't have to be an insightful football analyst to recognize somethig so obvious. Our slow thinking and acting GM has now come to the realization that this laggard team needs to address an issue that needed to be addressed shortly after he took over the football operation. You don't have to be an astute judge of talent to understand that Fitz never had the talent to be anything more than a backup in this leauge. Anyone in the organization who thought otherwise should be fired for gross incompetence.

The Bills are what they are compared to other successful franchises not because of any inherent disadvantages other than their own ineptitude. It gets very tiresome.

Edited by JohnC

Nix said that he wanted to upgrade other positions before getting a QB and I believe him. I just don't know if he can identify a QB prospect when it is his turn to make a pick. Was he ignoring the position in favor of upgrading other areas or was he missing out on legitimate prospects?

Buddy please focus on the now and not the future. Resign Levitre, Byrd, Jones and Urbik. Draft a QB, groom for the future, WR, LB, DB and OL. Sign a free agent QB to challenge Fitz. Believe it or not we do have enough talent to get to the playoffs. Look how the Colts are winning with a team loaded with rookies and cheap free agents to augment their older stars.

I took Buddy's quote "if there's someone you like in the 3rd, you'd better take him in the 2nd" to mean:

"I learned my lesson and now realize that we should have taken Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round and/or Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round."

me too.

I took Buddy's quote "if there's someone you like in the 3rd, you'd better take him in the 2nd" to mean:

"I learned my lesson and now realize that we should have taken Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round and/or Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round."

Since early in Nix's tenure, he espoused the value of BPA and saying or implying that reaching for need is what got the team in trouble in the first place. Now he is basically saying BPA at a position of need. Most people would call this 'reaching'.

I have said in the past that a slavish adherence to any one particular philosophy is asking for trouble. BPA at all costs has its price and we are paying it with the lack of a stud QB. I now don't want Nix to reach for a QB and pin our hopes of the future on this prospect who could very well flame out. The round in which a QB is picked is very important psychologically. A first or second rounder is expected to contribute very quickly. Whereas a 3rd rounder starting (Wilson) is quite rare. If a QB with 3rd rd grade is picked in the second, the expectations go up immediately and correspondingly the chances of failure. We cannot afford to flame out yet again on a QB draft pick.