ESPN lists the top player contract bargins and Byrd is there

simpleman

Alas... not to worry. Bills will make him the highest paid safety in the NFL when he is, essentially, a barely marginal pro bowler.... and that is if Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu are hurt. He just ain't nearly physical enough to be part of a top defense.

Alas... not to worry. Bills will make him the highest paid safety in the NFL when he is, essentially, a barely marginal pro bowler.... and that is if Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu are hurt. He just ain't nearly physical enough to be part of a top defense.

What are you talking about he is easily a top 5 safety just behind Weddle this year

He is a playmaker, but not a top physical specimen. But, you take what you get in terms of a #2 draft pick, and you would take this outcome everytime. He will get paid, hopefully by the bills, but there are lots of others in line as well. Bleacher had a good list just a day or two ago. Levitre, Urbik, Reinhart (yep all top three guards) on the list. McKelvin (yep, they will try to sign him as well, but somebody likely will go megabucks for him) I think the Bills will keep most of their talent. They did fine letting Bell go last year, but have let some talent go in that past that they should not have. this is a key success factor in franchaise success. And, oh yeh, Eric Wood!!!!

Byrd is a very up and down guy. He has looked magnificent sometimes and others he is no where to be found. Not sure if it is scheme or what. The INT against Miami was maybe one of the best you will ever see. He has great ball hawking ability. He plays the run decent. He is not overly fast, so if he makes a mistake he can not recover easily. He also will not be able to run down a fast receiver or back, he has worked on his angles and approach.

All in all he will need to be paid top 10 safety money.

Is Searcy a free safety or strong safety?

The nice thing is if we franchise him which is easy to do, we basically get him at the veteran average of the top 5 at safety which is...what?...3-6 million?

Franchise & negotiate.

Way more than that I think.

Or atleast a hair over the top edge. If I recall the ball park is 7m

Byrd is good vs the pass but offers little in run support. He should be resigned though and its also time for Searcy to take over for Wilson full time

Levitre is a must and I'd also like to see McKelvin resigned but someone prob will overpay for him which mean Bills will be using a high pick on a corner yet again

Edited by Max997

Barely marginal pro bowler is a bit of an oxymoron in my opinion. He has Pro Bowl level skills. 'nuff said.

The nice thing is if we franchise him which is easy to do, we basically get him at the veteran average of the top 5 at safety which is...what?...3-6 million?

Franchise & negotiate.

That is what will probably happen. Lots of teams will flock to him in a bidding war unless we franchise him. And I'm sure he would test the market too, just because there would he s huge bidding war.

The guy plays great and he stays healthy. Great player to keep. Levitre may be trickier. They would need to sign him before free agency

Byrd is good vs the pass but offers little in run support.

That's not true. He's forced fumbles. He makes very good one on one, open field tackles. He leads the DB's in tackles this season and has been one of the team's leading tacklers since he's been there. I don't know what more you want. Byrd has 282 tackles. Ed Reed has 587 and Polamalu has 613 and both have played more just about three times as many years as Byrd. He's on pace to have more tackles then either of them. Eric Weddle has played two more years and has 503 tackles. Weddle has two forced fumbles in his career. Reed has 11. Polamalu has 8. Byrd? 9 forced fumbles in less time.

I don't know what people are looking at when they say Byrd doesn't add much in the run support. His rookie year that was true. But from year two on that is a highly inaccurate statement. He's an all around safety and one of the best in the league. And it's obvious. If the Bills don't tag him or get him a new contract he will easily be well paid like a top safety by another organization.

That's not true. He's forced fumbles. He makes very good one on one, open field tackles. He leads the DB's in tackles this season and has been one of the team's leading tacklers since he's been there. I don't know what more you want. Byrd has 282 tackles. Ed Reed has 587 and Polamalu has 613 and both have played more just about three times as many years as Byrd. He's on pace to have more tackles then either of them. Eric Weddle has played two more years and has 503 tackles. Weddle has two forced fumbles in his career. Reed has 11. Polamalu has 8. Byrd? 9 forced fumbles in less time.

I don't know what people are looking at when they say Byrd doesn't add much in the run support. His rookie year that was true. But from year two on that is a highly inaccurate statement. He's an all around safety and one of the best in the league. And it's obvious. If the Bills don't tag him or get him a new contract he will easily be well paid like a top safety by another organization.

Good research. This is the sort of stuff Byrd's agent will be singing at the end of the year. Better delete your post.

Byrd is a very up and down guy. He has looked magnificent sometimes and others he is no where to be found. Not sure if it is scheme or what. The INT against Miami was maybe one of the best you will ever see. He has great ball hawking ability. He plays the run decent. He is not overly fast, so if he makes a mistake he can not recover easily. He also will not be able to run down a fast receiver or back, he has worked on his angles and approach.

All in all he will need to be paid top 10 safety money.

Is Searcy a free safety or strong safety?

I believe he is an SS. Wilson would play FS in event of a Byrd injury