ESPN lists the top player contract bargins and Byrd is there

simpleman

Alas... not to worry. Bills will make him the highest paid safety in the NFL when he is, essentially, a barely marginal pro bowler.... and that is if Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu are hurt. He just ain't nearly physical enough to be part of a top defense.

Yeah, because Troy and Ed aren't living off their reputations of 3-4 years ago...

You're crazy.

Byrd is not a violent tackler.

He'll never be confused with Adrian Wilson or Rodney Harrison but he's a very sure-handed tackler and has forced more than his share of fumbles using his football smarts.

He's definitely not a liability in run support and I would rate him better than average.

Any list that does not include Andy Levitre is bogus.

Andy makes the same $615.00 in 2012. He isn't far from being the best guard in the NFL. SJB could be describing Levitre in his post above. He doesn't pancake too many people, but he does it all. He has good technique on running plays, and left tackle feet and balance on passing downs, in a passing league. And, he has proven to be both versatile and durable.

Any money spent on him would be well spent, and it will be hard to keep him. They can slap the inexpensive franchis tag on Btrd. No problem. But guards get lumped in with OTs, so the tag would be very costly wrt Levitre.

I know it ain't my money, but if it was, I would offer him a 40 plus million dollar contract for 6 years, to include a 15 or 20 million dollar signing bonus before he hits free agency.

He is not far from being the best player on this team, and probably IS the most reliable.

Agree 100%

That's not true. He's forced fumbles. He makes very good one on one, open field tackles. He leads the DB's in tackles this season and has been one of the team's leading tacklers since he's been there. I don't know what more you want. Byrd has 282 tackles. Ed Reed has 587 and Polamalu has 613 and both have played more just about three times as many years as Byrd. He's on pace to have more tackles then either of them. Eric Weddle has played two more years and has 503 tackles. Weddle has two forced fumbles in his career. Reed has 11. Polamalu has 8. Byrd? 9 forced fumbles in less time.

I don't know what people are looking at when they say Byrd doesn't add much in the run support. His rookie year that was true. But from year two on that is a highly inaccurate statement. He's an all around safety and one of the best in the league. And it's obvious. If the Bills don't tag him or get him a new contract he will easily be well paid like a top safety by another organization.

Alas... not to worry. Bills will make him the highest paid safety in the NFL when he is, essentially, a barely marginal pro bowler.... and that is if Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu are hurt. He just ain't nearly physical enough to be part of a top defense.

I guess I'm not picky enough, I'll take "a barely marginal pro bowler" over "a bust" at every position on the field, lol.