"Stink" Schlereth says the Bills were trash talking

So I'm listening to ESPN and Stink Schlereth is talking about how pro players do read the newspapers. Case in point was "Superbowl 26, the Bills Defensive Line coach was saying all kinds of bad things about the Redskins O Line. Joe Gibbs read the article and he was extremely PO'd and basically it sparked the Redskins to victory"

Number 1) Who was our D Line coach at the time (not Walt Corey...he was D Coordinator) and does anyone have the actual article Stink was referencing? Was he making this crap up??

Number 2) I thought the MVP of the Superbowl was the QB not the running back(s).

Go Bills!!

Edited by BringBackFergy

Thanks SJBF...didn't remember the Bills talkin smack but with Coach Dickerson...not surprised.

Wrong Redskins team; Williams was the QB when they beat Denver. I believe Rypien was the MVP of SB 26.

Absolutely...sorry about that. I fixed the original.

Maybe his name was Doug Rypien

..didn't remember the Bills talkin smack but with Coach Dickerson...not surprised.

I couldn't stand Coach Dickerson as far as his radio show went.

He was a bitter, angry man who was 90% negative during a time when the Bills were actually still pretty good.

He infected the minds of many younger Bills fans as far as I'm concerned with his crusades against certain individuals.

Coach Chuck Dickerson.

It's part of the reason Marv fired him.

Still have image in my mind, "We're going to eat up those Hogs. [He then made a bunch of pig munching sounds]"

Too bad Bruce was playing on one leg and was completely useless, and Jeff Wright was, Jeff Wright.

Edited by GG

However I've always been skeptical that in a Super Bowl, that bulletin board material would really make a difference in motivating a team.

If our Bills clowns could not even get to bed at midnight or whatever (staying out all night instead), they were very likely trash talking, too.

And old Marv "treating them like men" (letting them stay out all night, etc) did not work so well - four years in a row. At some point, those Bills and their Harvard-educated coach are just acting stupid.

Party til you puke! Oh, there's a game tomorrow???

And none of those quarterbacks was anything special.

Exactly! Which always gives teams like ours a glimmer of hope.

In all fairness though, Rypien had an extraordinary season in 1991, but the rest of his career was sub-par. He was the beneficiary of an awesome O-line. For just that one season, the Redskins had one of the most potent offenses up to that era. It wasn't the dink and dunk style of the 49ers, but a more wide-open big play offense that could also grind when they had to. They were really versatile, and didn't rely on a gimmicky game plan to dominate....and their defense wasn't too shabby either!

And, as much of a d-bag most think Theisman was, he played in an era where offenses didn't necessarily rest on the arm of their QB, but relied heavily on his football smarts and "leadership" qualities. Theisman was a field general...you always knew he was in charge. A pretty tough guy, who really earned his opportunities.

I always think Gibbs gets a little short-changed when it comes to discussions of the greatest coaches of all time.

I remember Dickerson calling the Redskins' All-Pro RG Joe Jacoby and LT Jim Lachey a "Neanderthal" and "a 310 pound ballerina" before the game.

Hence the reason Chuck went to GR55 and had heated arguments with sports experts like Bulldog for a few years...I don't miss his big talk and "expert analysis" because as SJBF said above, it was skewed and he had an axe to grind.

Gibbs is underrated. Parcells won 2 Super Bowls with two different QBs also and neither of those guys was really elite. Simms was quite good though. Two great football coaches.

Too bad we had to face them in the Super Bowls.

Theisman was like Flutie. Like Flutie he played in Canada because he wasn't given a lot of respect by the NFL people and he wanted to be a starter. Like Flutie he had a bravado/arrogance which rubbed people the wrong way. Like Flutie he had a chip on his shoulder and was a field general/game manager but not a great QB from the measurables. Both players were winners.

Dickerson hated Flutie and constantly disparaged him.

Yeah, Gibbs was so great with QBs that now he is trying to coach automobiles

He climbed the mountain 3 times in the NFL.

In NASCAR he's won 6 championships.

What's your point?

Gibbs is underrated. Parcells won 2 Super Bowls with two different QBs also and neither of those guys was really elite. Simms was quite good though. Two great football coaches.

Too bad we had to face them in the Super Bowls.

Theisman was like Flutie. Like Flutie he played in Canada because he wasn't given a lot of respect by the NFL people and he wanted to be a starter. Like Flutie he had a bravado/arrogance which rubbed people the wrong way. Like Flutie he had a chip on his shoulder and was a field general/game manager but not a great QB from the measurables. Both players were winners.

Dickerson hated Flutie and constantly disparaged him.

He climbed the mountain 3 times in the NFL.

In NASCAR he's won 6 championships.

What's your point?

Parcells didn't win anything without Belicheat

Theisman's QB skills are only marginally better than his awful analyst skills. He is one of the two or three worst SB winning QB's ever.

My recollection of that era was that Marv had issued a gag order regarding comments in the press that were not team oriented and were more self promotional, "Buffalo is a racist city", who was the "Michael Jordan of the Bills," "I am not appreciated by the _____" etc. Then Dickerson does his hyperbolic routine for the press about the Redskins o-line being ugly and the like and it backfires on him. That's his style but it did not play well in the Super Bowl press and it likely did not sit well with Marv.

By the way, Jeff Wright was a good player and he had a great game in XXV.

Why does it matter 20 + years later?

And neither Buff or the Skins are relevant to a SB discussion this year...

The original poster (some schmuck) was only reporting what Schlereth said on the radio about how the Bills trash talked in SB 26. The conversation has now blossomed into what an a$$ Chuck Dickerson was on the radio.

The relevance has to do with it involving the Buffalo Bills (past, present or future).

I will tell the OP to put this kind of thread on the "Star Wars Trilogy Trivia" board next time.

The original poster (some schmuck) was only reporting what Schlereth said on the radio about how the Bills trash talked in SB 26. The conversation has now blossomed into what an a$$ Chuck Dickerson was on the radio.

The relevance has to do with it involving the Buffalo Bills (past, present or future).

I will tell the OP to put this kind of thread on the "Star Wars Trilogy Trivia" board next time.

Well Dickerson has been an asshat who talked too much. Again who the freak cares about trash talk from 20 years ago?

And, as much of a d-bag most think Theisman was, he played in an era where offenses didn't necessarily rest on the arm of their QB, but relied heavily on his football smarts and "leadership" qualities. Theisman was a field general...you always knew he was in charge. A pretty tough guy, who really earned his opportunities.

When he first came to the NFL Theismann was more of a scrambling QB. However, Theismann's pocket skills really developed over time. I remember when he was the third string QB behind Sonny Jurgenson and Billy Kilmer. He actually volunteered to return punts just to get on the field! Some say he wasted a few of his prime years as a back-up. I think he probably benefited from learning on the sidelines behind long-tenured veterans such as Jurgenson and Kilmer. Plus, it probably helped that he had a great arm, receivers such as Monk and Downtown Charlie Brown, a Hall of Fame RB (Riggins), a first class OL (the Hogs) and a legendary coach (Gibbs). I always liked Ferguson, but I thought Theismann was cool because he wore the old one bar face mask.

By the way, Jeff Wright was a good player and he had a great game in XXV.

I guess we can disagree. Jeff Wright was a very good rushing down NT/DT, but was badly miscast as an every down NT who consistently got bowled over in the run game. Since SB XXV, every year Bills tried to find that guy in the middle and it finally took landing Big Ted to plug that hole.

Coach Chuck Dickerson.

It's part of the reason Marv fired him.

He then went on to trash all Bills fans - he was like Super-Sully before Sully was so sullen...

You did have to laugh at The Coach's endless rants about Gregg Williams; "Well GreeeEEEEEeeeegg didn't have his players ready." :D

Wrong Redskins team; Williams was the QB when they beat Denver. I believe Rypien was the MVP of SB 26.

Rypien was the MVP, in fact I have a couple programs from that game, and met Rypien a couple years ago and had him sign one. At least got something out of that bad memory.

Well Dickerson has been an asshat who talked too much. Again who the freak cares about trash talk from 20 years ago?

That is just about the last time the Bills were good enough to trash talk, or a least pretty damn close to it. Edited by BuffBill

Kinda surprised the NFL hasn't buckled to the PC crowd and demanded they change their name to the Washington Native American Warriors or something.

I've said for years now that they should do away with the logo and replace it with a redskin potato. Slap that on the side of their helmet and roll on...problem solved.

Kinda surprised the NFL hasn't buckled to the PC crowd and demanded they change their name to the Washington Native American Warriors or something.

Would be the District of Columbia former Native Americans now known as equal opportunity individuals and part of the 47% team or the Washington not so pale skins, or even the Washington other