Looking ahead to the Colts next Sunday

eball

E, you know me, I never lost optimism :thumbsup:

I also like the fact that the team we are chasing has some of the same chitty sheduling luck we had..namely they had a late Sunday game, followed by a game with a team(Bills) on 10 days rest, then they have to travel to road game agaisnt a desperate team that will also be on 10 days rest ,with both of those games at home for the Lions.

First things first, we gotta win this game. But if we do, I fear Cincy more than Indy has the best chance to grab that last spot.

Okalnd

@Chargers

Cowboys

@Eagles

@Piitsburgh

Baltimore

I can see Cinci winning every one of those games..They have played some good ball last two weeks.Why we need Pats to continue to win, keep pressure on BMOre and Texans to final game for the Bye

The AFC scenarios are really interesting -- what happens to Pitt the longer Big Ben is out? That doesn't look like a situation that will resolve quickly. Playing at Cleveland next week doesn't look like a gimme, and then they're at Baltimore. Pitt could very easily be 6-6 in two weeks.

I agree we would just as soon have the Pats* keep winning...we need the Texans and Ravens to stay motivated.

Of course, nothing matters if the Bills don't keep improving, but I do have a sense we might get to see a run similar to 2004.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

E, you know me, I never lost optimism :thumbsup:

I also like the fact that the team we are chasing has some of the same chitty sheduling luck we had..namely they had a late Sunday game, followed by a game with a team(Bills) on 10 days rest, then they have to travel to road game agaisnt a desperate team that will also be on 10 days rest ,with both of those games at home for the Lions.

First things first, we gotta win this game. But if we do, I fear Cincy more than Indy has the best chance to grab that last spot.

Okalnd

@Chargers

Cowboys

@Eagles

@Piitsburgh

Baltimore

I can see Cinci winning every one of those games..They have played some good ball last two weeks.Why we need Pats to continue to win, keep pressure on BMOre and Texans to final game for the Bye

I see Cinci going 7-9. Maybe 8-8, assuming Big Ben isn't out too long. Dallas is going to be fighting all year and I expect Philly to make their usual late season push. They will win at most one of those two games. I expect Pittsburg and Baltimore to fight to the finish, if not for the division than for the bye.

i think there are only two keys to this game:

1. Win turnover battle

2. Have the defense show up

If those two things happen, we should easily win this game. The bills are the better team overall, imo. But if the defense allows the Colts to put up 30 points and we have silly INT's and/or fumbles we'll lose like 34 - 27 or some crap like that.

Here are the two scenarios.

1) Indy is fuming mad over getting embarrassed against NE... They come out, throw the ball with precision and beat the Bills handily (by 2 TD's or more)

2) A "market correction" continues to happen re: Bills defense and Indianapolis' "Luck". In other words, the Bills D shuts down an opponent for 2 straight weeks and the Colts (predicted to be about a 6 win team before the season)...continue their downward trend towards a losing record.

Obviously we are hoping for #2, but wouldn't be surprised at all if #1 happens.

1) Indy is fuming mad over getting embarrassed against NE... They come out, throw the ball with precision and beat the Bills handily (by 2 TD's or more)

2) A "market correction" continues to happen re: Bills defense and Indianapolis' "Luck". In other words, the Bills D shuts down an opponent for 2 straight weeks and the Colts (predicted to be about a 6 win team before the season)...continue their downward trend towards a losing record.

I think the chances of #1 are somewhere between slim and none. "Embarrassment" as a motivator is not at play here...Indy has inferior talent and they have built up a nice record against a soft schedule, with the notable exception of Green Bay completely falling asleep in the 2nd half at Indy.

I like your term "market correction" -- it makes a lot of sense. Buffalo's defense is not as bad as they played for much of the first half of the season. For all of his yards and "poise" Luck is throwing a lot of incompletions and interceptions.

The more I look at this matchup the more if favors the Bills. The Colts will have no answer for Spiller and Jackson.

On offense, there should be an advantage at the line of scrimmage and especially along the interior. Should be able to run consistently and mix in some short passing and screens. Have to take care of the ball just the way they did against the Dolphins. Let's run in some red zone TDs.

On defense, the key has to be getting some contact at the line of scrimmage on all receivers. If they don't, Luck will eat them up with the short passing game. If they can do a good job on 1st and 2nd down of stopping the run then they'll be able to come after that offensive line on 3rd down. If the D-line plays the way it did against the Dolphins, they'll eat up the Colts O-line.

How about a win of 24-17 for the Bills...

I think the Bills are capable of beating Indianapolis. That is the problem for me. The bills have no reason not to have six or seven wins at this point in the season and have a tendency to collaps under pressure. Time to get a backbone and some testosterone and do what needs to be done.

that's a bold statement

I wish I could speak as boldly as you guys.

Seriously, this will be another opportunity to re-visit the wisdom of our respective 3rd round WRs, TJ Graham (69th overall) and TY Hilton (92nd overall).

There were quite a few people on our board who liked Hilton better than Graham.

Uh you left out a couple W-I-L-D-C-A-T plays. :doh:

I'd be happy if I never saw the Bills run another Wildcat play and I really don't like the empty backfield plays either. Why would you want to make yourself so obviously one dimensiional for the defense?

I'd be happy if I never saw the Bills run another Wildcat play and I really don't like the empty backfield plays either. Why would you want to make yourself so obviously one dimensiional for the defense?

The empty backfield is designed for mismatches and what not. I don't mind running empty backfield sets occasionally or in situations where we need to get down the field fast, but running them on 3rd and short is even more annoying than the wildcat.

Luck has proven to be a turnover machine so far this year. 12 INTs, 8 fumbles (4 lost). In the Bills 4 wins this year they've caused 10 turnovers. In their 6 losses only 4. When the D takes the ball away the Bills win- let's hope they do the job on Sunday.

While he has 12TDs and 12Ints, at home he has 8-2. They will be a dangerous team at home.

I'm counting on the O-Line to keep "WonderLuck" on the sidelines. Assuming everyone's healthy:

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Hairston

This is the line I've been dreaming about since spring training. Talk about being built to maul people. ASSUMING we get away from the "3rd-and-1-let's-throw-it" crap that got Gilbride fired a long time ago, this line is going to keep the chains moving all day long.

And I agree with the point above vis-a-vis Chandler. Fitz could have a HUGE day in play-action.

So you're predicting that we are either going to win or we are going to lose. Way to go out on a limb. :)