I really don't understand why anyone goes to Bills home games

zonabb

when you're 8 years old, you have no conceptual understanding of what "alcohol" is.

if he sees people puking, he will think it's because they have the flu.

every swear word that is said there, he has heard a million times at school.

he will remember the game fondly because he is with his dad, spending a day together, doing something his father loves--it is a bonding experience.

to him, there will be 80,000 other people that are also having a great time. screaming, laughing, shouting, and yes even *gasp* saying the "f word."

try to not be the one person there out of 80,000 that is NOT having a good time, because you're worried your fragile son is being corrupted.

he will be 20-something some day too, going to bills games, getting black out drunk, and saying inappropriate things about people from st. louis.

i hate to break it to you puritans, but it IS a party scene. thats why the NFL is so popular. the games are an event. its no different at ralph wilson stadium than at any other stadium in america. in fact, its no different than at any other place where young people gather and alcohol is consumed in mass amounts. thats every house party, frat party, college stadium, pro stadium, restaurant open past 11pm, railroad track, little league baseball field after 10pm, dorm room, or just a back seat of a car in an empty parking lot.

guess what - people drink, and complain loudly/yell about things they dont like-such as opposing teams.

for instance, in here, we have 9 pages of presumably sober people, yelling about how much they hate the drunks at ralph wilson stadium.

i don't drink to the point of excess. hell, i hardly drink at all, unless it's water or black coffee.

ergo, i am not rowdy and causing a scene, and throwing up all over myself, or yelling at little kids.

of course people don't like me. people don't like you either.

who are you, ghandi? nail yourself to the cross all you want, and try to legislate some type of utopia at ralph wilson stadium.

OR

step 1) grow up.

step 2) realize that any time eighty thousand people gather in a small area, consume alcohol, and focus their attention on the ONE thing in american culture that essentially EVERY male over the age of 10 is extremely passionate about, "inappropriate" behavior is going to occur.

step 3) realize that this situation is NOT unique to the parking lot of the stadium of the buffalo bills

and

step 4) find a different activity to bring 6 year olds to.

or

step 4.1) if you insist on having a "family friendly" day at the stadium, open up your pockets, buy field levels, stay away from the riff raff, and enjoy the day with the people who ARENT there to rage out of control.

I think the disconnect in this discussion comes down to (as always), a matter of degree.

I'm reminded of the current bestseller title "Fifty Shades of Grey."

Our world is filled with mostly grey area but somewhere in there is a line and many here feel that the line has been crossed.

I think the people who are complaining about conditions at The Ralph are saying that fan behavior has crossed the line into something sad, unfortunate, ugly, and shameful.

I'm not a puritan or a prude and probably am in the upper 90th percentile in terms of partying for my age and I bet a lot of the people who are complaining about fan behavior are in the same boat as me.

I don't think anyone is saying that people shouldn't party and have a good time.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you're 8 years old, you have no conceptual understanding of what "alcohol" is.

if he sees people puking, he will think it's because they have the flu.

every swear word that is said there, he has heard a million times at school.

he will remember the game fondly because he is with his dad, spending a day together, doing something his father loves--it is a bonding experience.

to him, there will be 80,000 other people that are also having a great time. screaming, laughing, shouting, and yes even *gasp* saying the "f word."

try to not be the one person there out of 80,000 that is NOT having a good time, because you're worried your fragile son is being corrupted.

he will be 20-something some day too, going to bills games, getting black out drunk, and saying inappropriate things about people from st. louis.

i hate to break it to you puritans, but it IS a party scene. thats why the NFL is so popular. the games are an event. its no different at ralph wilson stadium than at any other stadium in america. in fact, its no different than at any other place where young people gather and alcohol is consumed in mass amounts. thats every house party, frat party, college stadium, pro stadium, restaurant open past 11pm, railroad track, little league baseball field after 10pm, dorm room, or just a back seat of a car in an empty parking lot.

guess what - people drink, and complain loudly/yell about things they dont like-such as opposing teams.

for instance, in here, we have 9 pages of presumably sober people, yelling about how much they hate the drunks at ralph wilson stadium.

i don't drink to the point of excess. hell, i hardly drink at all, unless it's water or black coffee.

ergo, i am not rowdy and causing a scene, and throwing up all over myself, or yelling at little kids.

of course people don't like me. people don't like you either.

who are you, ghandi? nail yourself to the cross all you want, and try to legislate some type of utopia at ralph wilson stadium.

OR

step 1) grow up.

step 2) realize that any time eighty thousand people gather in a small area, consume alcohol, and focus their attention on the ONE thing in american culture that essentially EVERY male over the age of 10 is extremely passionate about, "inappropriate" behavior is going to occur.

step 3) realize that this situation is NOT unique to the parking lot of the stadium of the buffalo bills

and

step 4) find a different activity to bring 6 year olds to.

or

step 4.1) if you insist on having a "family friendly" day at the stadium, open up your pockets, buy field levels, stay away from the riff raff, and enjoy the day with the people who ARENT there to rage out of control.

Just because that what it has been doesn't mean that's what it should be. Have a couple drinks and have fun, but yea, I think people should be empowered to stand up and say a line is being crossed by many.

I think the disconnect in this discussion comes down to (as always), a matter of degree.

I'm reminded of the current bestseller title "Fifty Shades of Grey."

Our world is filled with mostly grey area but somewhere in there is a line and many here feel that the line has been crossed.

I think the people who are complaining about conditions at The Ralph are saying that fan behavior has crossed the line into something sad, unfortunate, ugly, and shameful.

I'm not a puritan or a prude and probably am in the upper 90th percentile in terms of partying for my age and I bet a lot of the people who are complaining about fan behavior are in the same boat as me.

I don't think anyone is saying that people shouldn't party and have a good time.

Bingo.

I think the smoking ban may be the dumbest thing they have done. There are entire areas designed for smoking; there is no other logical reason for some of these areas to exist.

When I drink, I smoke out of habit. The last game I went to, after two beers, I was edgy because I wanted a cigarette.

Exactly the sort of thing that would have provoked me to do something stupid when I was younger and drank more.

Classic stupid ass attitude: because you have an issue needing smokes with your drinks its the outside world's responsibility to accommodate you rather than you dealing with your own messed up self. And if they don't you're going to act up.

What an irresponsible jerk

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Conversely, I didn't go to Bills games as a kid, because my father knew it wasn't an appropriate place to take a child, and I like them just fine.

If it's not an appropriate place to bring my kid, I have better things to do with my time.

Party on.

Taking my 13 yr old stepson to the Rams game in Dec.

Having real second thoughts about taking him. I was 8 when my

mom and dad took me to the Rockpile for my first ever Bills game.

I remember it being a very memorable and uplifting family experience.

I just don't want to take him and have it be a negative effect.

I suppose the game will only pull about 45-50 thousand people

since it is late in the year and not a marquee opponent.

I'm just scared for the kid.

Got some real thinking to do about it.

He'll be fine... He is 13! Anyway... Took my son many times since he was 6 or so... No problem at all... Let him see the idiots... Heck, we went to the drag races out in the sticks in Illinois and the hillbillys were getting tanked in the parking lot and having fights... So much drama in people's lives!

The Rockpile thing... Really? My older neighbor said they would allow them to bring a "beerball" (that is 36 beers) into the stands... How can that be a "family" endeavor?... An 8 year old sitting right next to the tap? Huh...

I dont want to re-hash the entire argument made in what was a very long, and well argued thread... But of course not. Im not someone that favors the banning of anything really. Im all for letting people have their good time, but they have to be able to do it responsibly and in a way that doesnt harm/effect others.

It's possible for me to have a beer (or 6) at my seat and not spill it on others, or throw up on people around me. But if I were to light up a cigarette (or a joint even), it's going to be inhaled second-hand by everyone around me. They originally had dedicated smoking areas within the stadium and some people still couldnt play nice. It was your fellow users, not the Bills, that ruined it for everyone else.

And if they DO decide to ban alcohol (which they never will because $$ trumps people's lives and health), it will not be because the Bills want to be jerks. It will be due to the unacceptable behavior by a stupid, irresponsible, immature minority.

It's shameful that it even has to come to things such as smoking bans, and tailgate restrictions. I'm all for getting loose and having a good time. You'd think that adults would be able to "handle their ****" on their own for a few hours. Unfortunately, a growing number feel the need to act like high schoolers who just stole a case of beer from their parent's garage. And now the parents are forced to step in.

+1 This. You make a great point on smoking... People are just nasty and can't place nice... Here they making nice areas and people still won't go to them... It has ALWAYS been a safety issue when smoking at your seat... it is just too crowded... Yet, people still flaunt the rules!

That's because "I NEED TICKETS" is scapler code for "SELLING TICKETS."

LoL... Exactly... What I was going to say. I never really got this when I was young... LoL... I always thought it was funny...

Good post Doc. I do however wish to make the point that given a choice, I would rather walk past a crowd of people smoking in a designated area than have someone assault a family member, smash into my car, puke on me, throw things at me, or attack me physically. THIS is where I see the hypocrisy of the system. But as you say, cash is king. They are not about to ban beer any time soon.

Ahh, excellent point regarding the effects and aftermath of the different drugs. I agree completely.

Classic stupid ass attitude: because you have an issue needing smokes with your drinks its the outside world's responsibility to accommodate you rather than you dealing with your own messed up self. And if they don't you're going to act up.

What an irresponsible jerk

Really? You read that into what I posted?

One of the problems with the night games is that the regular folks many times cannot attend, so they sell/give away the tickers. And, you get a younger, first time let it all hang out crowd. Been that way always. I remember a game in the 70's against KC I think, where a guy crawled out the the wire holding up the net behind the goal posts. thought I ws going to see a fall/death. But, he crawled back, into the arms of the police.

Perhaps his tone was a bit harsh, but the content made sense

. A 5 year old would have school the following day, and yes, people were getting plastered.Night games are not an appropriate setting for a 5 year old; Is this something new, or of importance?

It was a bit harsh and the content made NO sense. It's a football game, not a metal concert. Dumbass.

do you want some sort of medal?

maybe i could draw up a quick certificate for you in microsoft paint, email it over, and you can hang it on your wall?

yeah buddy -- good thing you didn't bring your FIVE YEAR OLD to a game that kicks off at 8:30, goes until midnight, and 75% of the people there will be wasted.

"i went to the bar last night. it was awful. couples making out, dancing. people puking in a bathroom. i overheard a gentleman say the F word. at least i didnt have my toddler with me. he would have had enough common sense to know that was WRONG."

the only thing wrong with this world, is people that think theres something "wrong" with this world.

Johnny, you do realize this was a game, not a metal concert? Right?!?! 75% of people wasted,and that's ok? Wow! I could see you bitching if he actually took his kid to a bar, but he didn't even bring him to the game and you write dumb **** like this? Take that certificate and wipe your ass with it. For anyone that doesn't like my tone, maybe Johnny should get a medal.

Here's why I go to the games:

I like to watch the team, and I always enjoy myself.

I've had season tickets since 1987 (when i was 7 years old), and have missed only 3 home games during that time.

I have never been in so much as a confrontation at a home game.

I tailgate every week, but generally don't drink. Thursday night, I had 3 beers in the parking lot before the game. We parked in a stadium lot, cooked food, had a few brews, met some Canadian fans and some PA fans, and generally had a great time.

We headed for the gates around 7:30, and quickly found our way up to the front of the line. I'd say we waited about 2 minutes total to get in.

We walked to our seats, hung out, enjoyed the game, and encountered almost zero of what I'm reading is rampant bad behavior. In fact, the worst person I saw was a girl that screamed "Go Dolphins" at me...upon asking her where she was from, she yelled "F'kin Rochester!"...yep, worst behaved person I saw.

After the game, we high fived some randoms, walked back to our car, got in, and went to Mighty Taco.

All in all, the above has generally been my experience at every single home game for the last 25 years, so it surprises me to see that so many people feel that Bills fans are so horrible. I personally believe it's a case of the few giving the many a bad name.

And for the record, I've been to games in Cleveland, Kansas City, Miami, and San Diego as well. Cleveland and KC fans were brutal, some going so far as to throw beer bottles at opposing fans all game long. Miami and San Diego were great, because they generally didn't care about the game at all.

Just my 1 cent.

It was a bit harsh and the content made NO sense. It's a football game, not a metal concert. Dumbass.

Johnny, you do realize this was a game, not a metal concert? Right?!?! 75% of people wasted,and that's ok? Wow! I could see you bitching if he actually took his kid to a bar, but he didn't even bring him to the game and you write dumb **** like this? Take that certificate and wipe your ass with it. For anyone that doesn't like my tone, maybe Johnny should get a medal.

Is this the example you would want your child to see? Just because you don't agree with the guy?

I'm all for the tailgate, it's part of what sustains us as Bills fans. But I'm utterly disgusted and embarrassed at the condition of these lots come game time. I typically walk through 5a on way in from my spot along southwestern and California and its is like these losers are tailgating in a landfill. There is literally garbage everywhere. Not a few bottles and trash close to people's cars or tailgate areas but literally strewn across the entire aisle.

I guess breaking glass and smashing all you stuff and then wallowing in it like swine for 3 hours is fun but these people, probably mainly college kids obviously think its cool. I think it's a disgrace and I'm as much for a good time and mischief as the next guy but these jokers have taken it to a new low. Game after game. This is the type of stuff that gives the city and people a blackeye when out of towners visit.

Time for security and the sheriffs to start writing citations for littering. It's I'd public property after all and we'd never see that in a park.

Maybe in my late 30s when Im as economically viable as I've ever been and should be a target demographic for this team to focus on, this stadium experience is passing me by. Lots of friends And coworkers that are older stopped going around my age, complaining about the morons. But I don't think it's me getting older as much as it is a complete lack of respect, both for other people and themselves, that these young college age morons bring to the game.

My wife and I drove from Minnesota to see a game back in 05. The lot was across from the main gate, don't remember which one. We paid for a lot parking spot, but drove around for over a hour (1 HOUR) before some guy finally moved his bbq grill, 16 chairs, two beer kegs, and whatever else he had in five parking spots to let us in. We should have just moved on. After the game, our car was covered in puke, broken beer bottles were everywhere, but thankfully we didn't blow a tire driving over them.

The yard cops just laughed at the sight of our car and told us next time to take the bus. They made disparaging comments about being dumb enough to come to the game and park in Bills Nation and being a fan of the opposing team. First, my car has numerous Bills bumper stickers, and 2nd the Bills were playing the Fish at home. I wrote the Bills organization and got a canned response about how they support tailgaters and to thank us for driving 800 miles to the game.

We have since gone to KC for another Bills game, of course we were here at the Dome when Bledsoe and company came here to play, and nobody treated us as poorly as the Bills Fans at home. We swore off ever attending another Bills game unless we do take a bus and get prime seats. We also got puked on from above by some drunk kid not old enough to shave yet. It was a memorable game.

My wife and I drove from Minnesota to see a game back in 05. The lot was across from the main gate, don't remember which one. We paid for a lot parking spot, but drove around for over a hour (1 HOUR) before some guy finally moved his bbq grill, 16 chairs, two beer kegs, and whatever else he had in five parking spots to let us in. We should have just moved on. After the game, our car was covered in puke, broken beer bottles were everywhere, but thankfully we didn't blow a tire driving over them.

The yard cops just laughed at the sight of our car and told us next time to take the bus. They made disparaging comments about being dumb enough to come to the game and park in Bills Nation and being a fan of the opposing team. First, my car has numerous Bills bumper stickers, and 2nd the Bills were playing the Fish at home. I wrote the Bills organization and got a canned response about how they support tailgaters and to thank us for driving 800 miles to the game.

We have since gone to KC for another Bills game, of course we were here at the Dome when Bledsoe and company came here to play, and nobody treated us as poorly as the Bills Fans at home. We swore off ever attending another Bills game unless we do take a bus and get prime seats. We also got puked on from above by some drunk kid not old enough to shave yet. It was a memorable game.

this is crazy ridiculous and it sounds like you ran into a lot of terrible luck.

I have gone to between 50 and 100 games and I have never been puked on, seen anyone puke in the seats, had my car vandalized/puked on, or have had any trouble finding a parking spot. In fact, I think before "disney style" parking, the attendants would walk around when the lots were full in order to make people move their items that were sitting in a spot.

I know its probably tough, but dont base your entire judgement on that one terrible day. It sounds like it was one for the books, not the norm.