Steve Mariucci sees bright future for Fitzpatrick in Buffalo

HOUSE

Listened to this last night and I just had to post ........

Posted by johnmurphyshow on November 14, 2012 – 8:30 pm

He was Brett Favre’s quarterback coach, when the future Hall of Famer arrived in Green Bay 20-years ago. And he was the Head Coach of the 49ers and the Lions.

NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci has the credentials to talk about quarterback play in the league. And in an appearance Wednesday night on The John Murphy Show, Mariucci said the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to lead the franchise into the future.

“He’s a very capable guy,” Mariucci said on the radio show. “He’s not one of those guys that a team should be looking to replace. He’s a solid starter. You can build a team around that guy with a run game, and add another receiver in the offseason, and I think they’ll be on the right track, there’s no doubt.”

Mariucci is in town as part of the NFL Network’s coverage of Thursday’s Bills-Dolphins matchup. He’ll be on the sidelines for the NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football pregame, halftime, and postgame shows. He’s also part of the network’s NFL GameDay Morning show on Sundays.

Mariucci was asked on The John Murphy Show whether the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to be the team’s quarterback into the future.

“I think he’s got enough, with all the qualities physical and some intangible qualities,” he said. ” He’s a guy that you add to his weapons, and continue to build your team with the draft and maybe some free agent moves. I think he’s the guy to do it.”

The longtime NFL Coach also said he admires Fitzpatrick’s leadership skills and competitive fire.

“He’s a feisty guy. He’s had his share of excellent games, and he’s very smart and capable of putting successive plays together to get in the end zone. I like his spunk. He’s got a fiery personality that is contagious. There are games that he’d like to have some plays back, I’m sure. But he still has an 87 or so rating, which is respectable (87.5), and a decent percentage of completions–17 touchdowns.”

The John Murphy Show airs weeknights from 7-pm on the flagship station of the Bills, WGR Sports Radio 550.

http://blogs.buffalo...itz-with-bills/

Obviously he bets weekly against the Bills, and wants to continue that.

He was worth a 7th...even as a backup for next year but definitely not more than that. Maybe that's why he was not activated, in order to keep it a 7th rounder not a 6th or higher.

his contract expires at he end of the year. Does anyone think he wants to sit in active again? he's gone.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is trying to stir up interest for ratings on a game that most of the country doesn't give a crap about. Two losing teams on a thursday night, what a ratings grabber for them?

Of course Thursday Night games was never about marquee value. It was to guarantee that every team would get a primetime game.

You do remember that the Jaguars-Colts game was last Thursday?

And Bill Walsh says Trent Edwards is the next great QB...how did that work out for you?

Who cares what Mariucci says. I mean come on, how much film has this guy really seen on Fitz? You think he sits at home and studies game film on the Bills? No they don't. They are sports caster and believe it or not, they rely mostly on stats and game recaps than they do watching whole games because they do not have the time. Anyone who WATCHES Fitz week in and week out can see the poor mechanics, the lack of arm strength, the inaccuracy, the inconsistency. If you look at stats, he seems not bad.

Why you ask...because he gets stats inflated in blow out losses and the stat sheet doesnt show how bad his accuracy is on completions where yes he completes the throw, but in a way that the receiver can not advance the ball because the pass was bad and they had to break route to catch it. And when you are a QB who lives on the short timed passing route, that is a terrible attribute to have that renders you ineffective far too often even when your completion percentage looks ok.

And PS: If he was saying this to get his name in the hat for HC, then he just screwed up big time. The fans are over the Fitz experiment and even the GM acknowledges we need a to get a QB soon. No one wants another coach to try AGAIN to retread Fitz into something he has never once been at any point in his now long career.

And Bill Walsh says Trent Edwards is the next great QB...how did that work out for you?

Who cares what Mariucci says. I mean come on, how much film has this guy really seen on Fitz? You think he sits at home and studies game film on the Bills? No they don't. They are sports caster and believe it or not, they rely mostly on stats and game recaps than they do watching whole games because they do not have the time. Anyone who WATCHES Fitz week in and week out can see the poor mechanics, the lack of arm strength, the inaccuracy, the inconsistency. If you look at stats, he seems not bad.

Why you ask...because he gets stats inflated in blow out losses and the stat sheet doesnt show how bad his accuracy is on completions where yes he completes the throw, but in a way that the receiver can not advance the ball because the pass was bad and they had to break route to catch it. And when you are a QB who lives on the short timed passing route, that is a terrible attribute to have that renders you ineffective far too often even when your completion percentage looks ok.

And PS: If he was saying this to get his name in the hat for HC, then he just screwed up big time. The fans are over the Fitz experiment and even the GM acknowledges we need a to get a QB soon. No one wants another coach to try AGAIN to retread Fitz into something he has never once been at any point in his now long career.

I don't think anyone is saying he's the answer. But he doesn't get any more garbage time TDs than anyone else in the league. In fact, I'd say that the only garbage time TD throws he's made all season are the three he threw in the first game of the season. As for accuracy, check out QBs with a completion rate of lower than 62.5 percent and tell me if they're any more accurate than he is. There aren't that many truly good QBs in the league. Also, don't forget sack rate - his is still pretty good (4.8 percent) even after last week. By way of comparison, Sanchez is 6.7 percent and Cutler 9.9.

Does anyone know why exactly we picked up Tarvaris Jackson at the end of August? He has no chance of helping the team this year (I don't think he's been active for a single game) so all it means is that we might have him as a backup to Fitz next year. Or maybe not even. Hardly worth a draft pick, even a 7th rounder.

And this, Grasshopper, is one of the Mysteries of Life. I have said several times....I Doan Gettit.

Up until the TEN game, I was 100% on board with this assessment. But I don't think a football team should need an elite defense to beat "good" teams. I place most of our losses squarely on the defense. I do think Fitz has very respectable stats and that he has kept us in most games.

The SF loss ... that just happens. SF is just a far better team in every aspect of the game.

The TEN loss ... I don't think it should have had to come down to a game winning drive opportunity. I blame the defense for that. But it dawned on me ... regardless of how or why we're in that situation, we don't have a QB who can lead the team to a game winning field goal or TD.

You need that, in my opinion.

I'm tired of waiting for the defense to save the day. It's not that I want a QB who's going to throw bombs and connect on every one.

But Fitz is inaccurate on the short stuff. And he's not clutch.

Fitz is great when a) we have the lead and b) we're playing against a team with a bad defense. Take away either one of those things and he's not the guy.

And unfortunately, that means - in my opinion - that overall, he's just not the guy.

I thought he was much better in the clutch last season. We had a lot of nice comeback wins, like the raiders win where he drove the team down the field and threw a GW TD.

Fact is though not a lot of QB's are clutch. Even guys like joe flacco, who are considered top tier, are inconsistent when the game is on the line.

Listened to this last night and I just had to post ........

Posted by johnmurphyshow on November 14, 2012 – 8:30 pm

He was Brett Favre’s quarterback coach, when the future Hall of Famer arrived in Green Bay 20-years ago. And he was the Head Coach of the 49ers and the Lions.

NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci has the credentials to talk about quarterback play in the league. And in an appearance Wednesday night on The John Murphy Show, Mariucci said the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to lead the franchise into the future.

“He’s a very capable guy,” Mariucci said on the radio show. “He’s not one of those guys that a team should be looking to replace. He’s a solid starter. You can build a team around that guy with a run game, and add another receiver in the offseason, and I think they’ll be on the right track, there’s no doubt.”

Mariucci is in town as part of the NFL Network’s coverage of Thursday’s Bills-Dolphins matchup. He’ll be on the sidelines for the NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football pregame, halftime, and postgame shows. He’s also part of the network’s NFL GameDay Morning show on Sundays.

Mariucci was asked on The John Murphy Show whether the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to be the team’s quarterback into the future.

“I think he’s got enough, with all the qualities physical and some intangible qualities,” he said. ” He’s a guy that you add to his weapons, and continue to build your team with the draft and maybe some free agent moves. I think he’s the guy to do it.”

The longtime NFL Coach also said he admires Fitzpatrick’s leadership skills and competitive fire.

“He’s a feisty guy. He’s had his share of excellent games, and he’s very smart and capable of putting successive plays together to get in the end zone. I like his spunk. He’s got a fiery personality that is contagious. There are games that he’d like to have some plays back, I’m sure. But he still has an 87 or so rating, which is respectable (87.5), and a decent percentage of completions–17 touchdowns.”

The John Murphy Show airs weeknights from 7-pm on the flagship station of the Bills, WGR Sports Radio 550.

http://blogs.buffalo...itz-with-bills/

This is why he is in broadcasting, he was a horrible coach and statements like these show why.

At Best Fitz is just a game manager and will never get us to a superbowl championship.

Not saying Fitz is the answer, I want a new QB in the mix.... but some random rookie QB would be hard pressed to put up the stats that Fitz has so far this season. Fitz's numbers are better than 3-6 on almost every other team. If we had an average defense the record would be better.

Since 2009, a good portion of his points come in 'garbage time'--meaning, we've already lost the game--meaning, being down by 14 or more points due to countless scoreless drives and drive killing ints commanded by Fitz--

Another 'garbage time' QB example is Carson Palmer.

Late in the 4th, it's pretty nice to throw a TD or two against second stringers when the game is out of reach.

Edit: Fitz is now 19-31 as a Bills starter and while under Gailey he is 3-13 vs. the AFC East.

An interesting stat... in the Gailey/Fitz years we have only beat 3 teams at/over .500...all three in 2011!

Denver finished 8-8

Philadelphia finished 8-8

Patriots finished 13-3

Edited by KollegeStudnet