Buddy says he wants to draft a QB this year

FluffHead

i hear you and its an argument we cant know for sure i dont think.

I do think they held out too much hope and thought with a defense that would rule the Nfl and faerie dust would get us to the playoffs. didnt work out.

But a solid line now is a great opportunity for a rookie. trade up and do whatever ya gotta do Buddy.

Now it's just a matter of simply picking the right ONE. :sick: no pressure though Mr Nix.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Nix has stuck to his philosophy, and has really only missed on Dalton. Yeah, it hurts that he missed on a quality QB, but it's not nearly the case that you're making it out to be.

Although Dalton is popular, I don't think he has proven himself to be a franchise QB. He had a good year for a rookie with a strong defense and some good targets. However, his QB rating was only one point above Fitz's. This year, he has regressed and has more picks and less TDs than Fitz. Again, their ratings are about the same (1.5 points apart) but Dalton takes a lot more sacks (22 vs. 12). Dalton may yet prove to be a good pick for Cincy but at this point, the numbers don't show him to be a significant upgrade (or an upgrade at all) from what the Bills already have.

Although Dalton is popular, I don't think he has proven himself to be a franchise QB. He had a good year for a rookie with a strong defense and some good targets. However, his QB rating was only one point above Fitz's. This year, he has regressed and has more picks and less TDs than Fitz. Again, their ratings are about the same (1.5 points apart) but Dalton takes a lot more sacks (22 vs. 12). Dalton may yet prove to be a good pick for Cincy but at this point, the numbers don't show him to be a significant upgrade (or an upgrade at all) from what the Bills already have.

He took his team to the PLAYOFFS last year. That says enough to me.

Geno Smith or Manti Te'O with our 1st pick.

Assuming Smith is off the board a good 2nd rounder would be EJ Manuel, or 3rd rounder Landry Jones.

I think Geno Smith will be #1 overall so we could lose out and still miss drafting him which would be a major bummer.

lets all settle down on the Dalton thing........fitz is brutal and nix/whaley/gailey etc should all be canned for not having a better option than this.

but Dalton is blah.......he would be slightly better than fitz..........no more mediocrity or crap at the qb position please.

Agreed keep in mind Dalton can loft up passes to AJ Green who is from my town (Summerville, SC). To think we could have drafted Green instead of Dareus makes me sick.

No, their defense did.

True.

According to NFL.com Bungles were #7 in overall defense and #9 in least points given up. And they were #18 in points per game with 21.5. Bills were 14th at 23.5. Fitz and our offense could get us to the playoffs with a defense like that.

Edited by reddogblitz

He's going to draft some crap prospect in the 3rd round and then have him sit behind Fitz for a year or two and then ultimately take over and predictably fail and then in another 4 years of sub .500 football we can start the cycle of hoping they will draft a real prospect again.

The team will be gone long before we have to go through that..

I just read an article that stated Chan Gailey was given a 5 year contract. :doh: So of course both Nix and Gailey have their 5 year (taking their good ole time) plan working. I think that both men are giving it their all, its just that you can't ask a janitor to perform brain surgery. Both men are in way over their heads at their respective jobs.

My take is that Ralph Wilson has figured out that Bills fans are so afraid of losing the team in a move that they are willing to pay no matter how crappy the team is, and it is crappy. So he also figures that Chan Gailey (for better or for worse) is his last head coach.

Its a sad time for Bills fans that need to wait another 2 years for a possible change at head coach / GM or hope for something they don't really want to hope for in the demise of the current owner :bag:

I thought their plan was to make the playoffs in year 3? Stupid liars

Here is where I have the QB's going this year:

1 1 Geno Smith---Would require a trade
1 2 Matt Barkley---Would require a trade
1 19 Tyler Wilson
2 48 Landry Jones
2 52 Tyler Bray
2 60 E.J. Manuel
2 63 Logan Thomas
3 76 Collin Klein
3 85 Aaron Murray (Jr.)
5 148 A.J. McCarron (Jr.)
6 166 Keith Price (Jr.)
6 168 Mike Glennon
6 173 Seth Doege
6 179 Tajh Boyd
7 200 Casey Pachall (suspJr.)
7 201 Colby Cameron
7 205 Zach Mettenberger (Jr.)
7 209 Zac Dysert
7 224 Brad Sorensen
U 227 Sean Renfree
U 239 Marqueis Gray

I get the impression from Nix that they will take their franchise QB, meaning they have someone, or two, in mind. If I had to guess I'd throw out trading up for Smith, Barkley (short), and Logan Thomas (poor mechanics, wrong touch on passes). This leaves Wilson in the 1st, Bray-Manuel in the 2nd, and Optimus Klein in the 2nd or 3rd. Later in the draft it could be one of three: Mike Glennon ( was TJ Graham's QB), Seth Doege (game against Geno=499 yds 6 TD, 5 in 1st 7 poss and nice game vs TCU) , and Tajh Boyd (Clemson connection, just broke Whitehurst's Clemson record for TDs).

Who are the top QB this year? Looks like a solid crop of guys:

Smith, WV - the NFL scouts will pick this guys delivery apart, but from what I've seen his motion may be odd but he accurate and SOOOOO athletic.

Barkley, USC - definitely a pro type QB, can make all the trows and seems to have a solid aptitude for the game.

Wilson, Ark. - haven't watched him, can't comment. Is he better than Mallet?

Bray, Tn - love the size but his decision making scares me

Manuel, FSU - hate this prospect, guy can't hit water falling out of a boat. Bad accuracy = trouble at NFL level

Murray, Geo. - what's not to love about this guy minus his size but serious 6-0, 6-1, does it really matter that much?

Jones, Okla - love this guys competition level but can he move enough in the pocket?

Glennon - NCS - I've seen enough of this guy but he reminds me more of Dan McGuirre (San Diego State) then a big time NFL QB. Does enough OK but we don't need OK.

anyone else on the radar at this stage? Any greater insight than written above because I know all of you have opinions. Did I miss the mark on what I've seen? I left the VT guy off because the guys down here in NC hate him and say he can't see the water let alone fall off the boat to hit it. Steve Logan, former ECU and BC coach, whose on a radio show down here, thinks he's a TE at the pro level because he makes Teebow seem accurate.

Edited by KRT88

I am ALL for drafting a QB. BUT do you realize that Andrew Luck is on pace to break the ALL-TIME NFL Record for wins for a rookie QB???

That RECORD is 7 WINS!!!

SEVEN

This scares the hell out of me. It puts on a ANOTHER 3 year re-building plan

Not sure I can swallow that pill.

Plus be careful what you wish for. We draft a starting QB, we go 5-11.

Then this board lights up and boils over that we picked the wrong guy.

Then fire the coach. Fire the GM.

Draft another guy.

Be careful what you wish for!!

Edited by Cville Bills

Redskins traded from 6th to 2nd to pick RG3, in return for 3 #1's and a 2nd. He looks worth it , but is there another qb that caliber this year? JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and other major busts.In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl.

The Chargers won four out of the last five AFC West titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

and if it takes a trade, then we have to do it, we can't settle for a guy.

Murray, Bray or Jones are the three for me

and if it takes a trade, then we have to do it, we can't settle for a guy.

Murray, Bray or Jones are the three for me

before jumping on Murray, go watch some film of when he plays the good teams in the SEC.

He was absolutely horrible against Florida this year.

I am ALL for drafting a QB. BUT do you realize that Andrew Luck is on pace to break the ALL-TIME NFL Record for wins for a rookie QB???

That RECORD is 7 WINS!!!

SEVEN

Draft another guy.

Let's just assume Fitz will start next year. Of course the board will have the same reaction either way so it doesn't matter.

Do folks realize at this point Fitz will be the only true qb on the roster after the season? They pretty much have to fill the spots so maybe they will sign one fa and draft one or two.

How many mulligans does this guy get before people realize he's fumbling in the dark for the light switch? Taking 4 off-seasons to realize you don't have a solid QB on the roster is the most egregious example of a bad GM.

This rebuild, at best, is stuck in the mud because Nix can't get things right the first time.

Well said.

Let's just assume Fitz will start next year. Of course the board will have the same reaction either way so it doesn't matter.

Do folks realize at this point Fitz will be the only true qb on the roster after the season? They pretty much have to fill the spots so maybe they will sign one fa and draft one or two.

Fitz will not be on the roster next year. He will be cut in the offseason to save money. That's why TJack is here.

That RECORD is 7 WINS!!!

SEVEN

Draft another guy.

Big Ben won 13 games as a rook

How many mulligans does this guy get before people realize he's fumbling in the dark for the light switch? Taking 4 off-seasons to realize you don't have a solid QB on the roster is the most egregious example of a bad GM.

This rebuild, at best, is stuck in the mud because Nix can't get things right the first time.

Year one - They wanted Tebow, but it didn't work out. Gailey is then looking at the QB's on the roster trying to figure out what he has. Edwards sucks, replaced by Fitz, and Fitz shows little flashes here or there.

Year two - Remember there were rumors that the FO wanted Ponder in the draft prior to this year, but the Vikings took him a lot higher than anticipated in the 1st. Andre Reed had let the cat out of the bag in that respect. No Ponder so Fitz gets his chance. He is extremely effective the first 7 weeks, gets a new contract, and then reverts to form.

Year three - Fitz gets one more year to show he can get it done and is worth the money. Obviously he is not. Nix is now talking of drafting a QB.

All of the armchair GM's saying this is the FO's fault right now were the same ones riding the same highs as everyone else early last season before the wheels came off. Not singling you out BillsVet, nor saying you were on the Fitz bandwagon, just a general statement. The defense? I truly believe it is more coaching than it is our players, not to mention our young CB's. That is the FO's fault with the defensive coaches. I thought the "stache" hiring would go a lot different than it has. He has proven himslef to be more inept than any DC I can remember. The QB situation? They wanted to give Fitz one more shot, but realize now that he is surely not the guy. Could we have drafted an Osweiler or Wilson this past draft? Yes, but they had just invested in Fitz and thought he was still capable of matching last year's initial output on the field. I'd say honest mistake more than being clueless. That leaves them in the situation they are now. Tough year to draft a QB once you get past Barkley and Smith imo. Tyler Wilson and Landry Jones seemingly have all the talent in the world, but there are many questions surrounding them. Bray and Murray? You never know what you are going to get from those guys. Sort of like Jekyl and Hyde QB's. Glennon and Manuel have talent also, but will they pan out? Klein is another Tebow. Tajh Boyd from Clemson has looked really improved on the field this year. I like A.J. McCarron and think he would be the guy I take if he were available @ our pick in the 1st, but he may very well just stay in school. The best QB prospect in all of college football may be a Freshman @ Texas A&M named Johnny Manziel and he can't turn pro yet. It's a tough task ahead for our GM to find "The Guy" for the future around here, especially in this draft class. I know we need to do something, but don't take a guy in the 1st just because you want to replace Fitz that bad. We have holes all over the place. Really, I know I'm an ND homer, but Te'o would look outstanding in a Bills uni and I hope that becomes a reality with our 1st this coming year. Then another LB like Chase Thomas from Stanford in the 2nd to play OLB. That would leave the 3rd round to take an EJ Manuel, Landry Jones, Mike Glennon, Tyler Bray, or Ryan Nassib. People will say there is no way Jones or Bray(if Bray declares) will fall this far and you may be right, but who are the teams really in need of a QB? Jacksonville, Kansas City, possibly Oakland, possibly St. Louis, possibly Arizona, and us. All of the other teams have recent high draft picks they are rolling with @ QB. The ones listed as "possibly" may very well stick with who they already have which narrows the numbers down even more. The main thing we need is an "in your face" type of DC who gets these guys motivated and actually has the imagination/game planning for today's NFL. Couple that with some solid picks for the defense and we are working with something.

Edited by H2o

Well said.

Fitz will not be on the roster next year. He will be cut in the offseason to save money. That's why TJack is here.

It's going to be Fitz's job until someone plays better, just like it will be Fredex's job until someone takes it away. TJack is here finishing up the last year of his contract, it's gotta be 50/50 that we can even sign him. You'd have thought they would have made a move by now on the contract, but maybe tjack wants to weigh his options. I assume Chan would want at least one vet backup going into training camp so I'm assuming obd will put some effort into signing him if they think he can perform in Chan's offense.

For better or worse, Chan has hooked his wagon to Fitz. If Fitz starts losing games by not being able to score they will make a change. Our defense has some work to do before that happens. It seems to me if the play calling stays heavy run it will keep Fitz from having to win games. That mindset will also help develop a young qb.

what good is another QB without a Defense that can stop your opponent?

I'm all for drafting a promising young QB prospect, but myself personally, I like the way Fitz has thrown the ball as of late...

Patriots had the second worst defense last year. The Giants defense was ranked #27 last year. GB went 15-1 with the last ranked defense in the league. Sooooo......I'm sorry what was your point again?

I wonder if they will offer Fitz a modified (lower pay) contract to stick around. No other team will offer him a better deal than what he could make staying with the Bills for less money as a backup. I hope that is what happens. I like the guy, even if he can't throw a football with much speed or accuracy.

Nix attempted to shore up the defense first and beef up the O line second.

He is now in a much better position to give up position/picks

by trade then wheeling and dealing draft for players.

I'm holding out hope for Nix and some continuity.

i dont like this here 3 year rule.

PS nice post H2o

I wonder if they will offer Fitz a modified (lower pay) contract to stick around. No other team will offer him a better deal than what he could make staying with the Bills for less money as a backup. I hope that is what happens. I like the guy, even if he can't throw a football with much speed or accuracy.

Actually i agree. He would be a great # 2. and everyone would like him again i bet.

pss Independant, very nice addition to thread sir

Edited by 3rdand12

I've seen his name mentioned a couple times, but Tajh Boyd is a junior, and I doubt he'll declare this year. If he stays for his senior year, he's likely to be a top 3-5 QB, and would have a good shot at the first round. I have a hard time seeing him going earlier than the late third this year, talented as he may be.

That said, if he does come out, I bet Chan would love to have him. He's a big, fast spread QB with a good arm.

Edited by Maguire's Beer

Patriots had the second worst defense last year. The Giants defense was ranked #27 last year. GB went 15-1 with the last ranked defense in the league. Sooooo......I'm sorry what was your point again?

Are you trying to prove to me defense doesn't matter, hehe, thats hilarious buddy

Ever think maybe the teams you mentioned defensive rankings were skewed a little with opponents playing catch up?

How many Aaron Rodgers and Tom Bradys are in the game?