I'm not saying Marcell is a bust but...

I have it on inside information from players on the team that dareus is an absolute beast (ie, like the best defensive player on the team), but suffers from mental lapses.

I would think this means that he's young and he'll figure out how to play with more consistency.

Again, like his younger brother being murdered thousands of miles away? Why do people just this over? I can't even imagine where his head has been at this month. I hope he goes home and gets to recharge with his family.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ Watt had the same amount of sacks as a rush OLB as Dareus did as a 3-4 NT/ DE last year. He's exploded this year on a defense that was #1 last year and loaded with pass rushers.

How many of you have had your younger brother randomly murdered? How would that affect you? But I guess since the guy is making millions, he should be a robot and just perform. If this scenario happened to me, my priorities would change quite a bit too. Some things are more important than football.

By "loaded with pass rushers" you mean he had Mario Williams on his team? This year we have Mario, Anderson, Kyle and MD...I'd say that's pretty good company.

Re. His brother's death...no one can say what that feels like (unless it has happened personally)...the Ravens WR had a career game on MNF when his brother died...Favres father, etc. Whether it's murder or accident, it's devastating.

By "loaded with pass rushers" you mean he had Mario Williams on his team? This year we have Mario, Anderson, Kyle and MD...I'd say that's pretty good company.

Re. His brother's death...no one can say what that feels like (unless it has happened personally)...the Ravens WR had a career game on MNF when his brother died...Favres father, etc. Whether it's murder or accident, it's devastating.

Yup. Our defense has completely underachieved. Houston drafts pass rushers high every year. Great philosophy.

And Dareus had his best game that week. Of course, every death is tragic. But I'm sure being the oldest brother and provider in a family that has seen a lot of death like Dareus', I won't be surprised if he has been feeling a lot of guilt. Fans can do whatever they want but I personally struggle to criticize a guy going through what he is going through.

Gotta give Marcell a pass for 2012. He's gone through hell and back. I hope he makes it through this season without injury. Could anyone imagine what would happen if he tore an ACL? I don't think he'd ever recover judging by his mental state, and recent comments.

Yup. Our defense has completely underachieved. Houston drafts pass rushers high every year. Great philosophy.

And Dareus had his best game that week. Of course, every death is tragic. But I'm sure being the oldest brother and provider in a family that has seen a lot of death like Dareus', I won't be surprised if he has been feeling a lot of guilt. Fans can do whatever they want but I personally struggle to criticize a guy going through what he is going through.

He's our future on this team...and like I said, he's a monster and seems like a very cool guy. Yes, what happened to his family is devastating- no argument there. He'll pull it together ...he's got "moral fiber"

There were some mocks that had him going first overall for awhile there.

He had a big impact last year in my opinion. He will be fine, he's just off a bit for obvious reasons.

Von Miller, JJ Watt and AJ Green are probably the top three impact players after 22 nfl games. If we had a time machine we'd probably take Watt

There were some mocks that had him going first overall for awhile there.

He had a big impact last year in my opinion. He will be fine, he's just off a bit for obvious reasons.

Von Miller, JJ Watt and AJ Green are probably the top three impact players after 22 nfl games. If we had a time machine we'd probably take Watt

A time machine would be amazing. You could invent things, win a ton of money gambling, hit on famous girls before they became famous.

Unfortunately, NFL GMs don't have that. Watt's career 11.5 sacks in the Big Ten (Gholston, Maybin) probably didn't scream #3 overall. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Watt The dude has become a great player in a great system. But the Bills would be a joke taking him over the best defensive player on the national champs.

So maybe drafting corners instead of pass rushers every year is the problem? OK with me.

It could be a combination of things with Dareus. His brother, poor conditioning (That would be on the coaching staff), and maybe losing passion in part because of a DC and a head coach who appear clueless, a locker room full of wusses, who apparently lack any enthusiasm or killer instinct.So, It could be tough going to work everyday. Some of the team already appear to be phoning it in. Usually that doesn't happen until game 15 or 16.

He's a kid and has shown he has the talent. He'll be back.

Stop it. Even with your math, which probably includes guys like Christian Ponder, everyone from that class is unproven.There is nothing to suggest that Dareus is a bust (which, because of, and not in spite of, the OP's thread title, is EXACTLY he was suggesting), much less that he was drafted too early, at this point in his career or in the career of anyone else in the 2011 draft class.

Maybe some folks are stretching a bit...Marcell certainly has plenty of time to turn it around...But "everyone from that class is unproven?" I mean...I'm guessing you've seen Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, JJ Watt, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith play...Right? B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Then by all means, go ahead and make an intelligent 'foresight' argument. Don't let me stop you. Perhaps you can start by going through the archives and linking all those posts saying we should have taken ____________ instead of Dareus.

Not sure how revisiting the Ngata/Whitner debate is germane though. There were numerous posters demanding we take Ngata AT THE TIME.

GO BILLS!!!

But that's not what we're talking here. We are talking about passing on the consensus best defensive player in the draft in Dareus in favor of 7 players that NOBODY suggested we take at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

On February 5th, 2011, 1billsfan wrote the following:

The Bills will certainly rue the day they select marginal talents like Miller, Dareus or whomever over Green.

Joe the Sixpack wrote,

"What dilemna? You thank your lucky stars the BPA in the entire draft is still available. Then run up to the mic and announce you're taking Green."

BILLriant wrote, "Aj is likely to fall to us at #3 and would be very hard to pass on no matter what our needs are."

I wrote "The Bills could justify taking Green in the first, Ponder in the second, and a RT in the third."

Koufax wrote the following

I would love for Green not to be the right pick. I would love if upon the careful studying of talent, there is a front-7 guy who we think is the best player, or close enough. But right now I don't see another A talent like Green making it to us. And I don't want a B talent with the pick because we need it. If it ends up being A and A-, go ahead, take the LB/DE/DT. But I want an elite player at #3, not just a solid contributor. If the most elite player plays WR or DB, I will be disappointed that that is the reality, but happier if we pick that player and not pass on him.

Wayne Cubed wrote

"If the #3 pick comes up and Green is there, the Bills would be wise to take him."

Admittedly, the people who wrote these things were in the minority. Levels of support for Green varied between those who were merely open to the idea of taking him (such as me) and those who flatly stated that Green would be a much better pick than Dareus (such as 1billsfan). At least thus far, 1billsfan's position--about both Green and Dareus--has been reinforced by subsequent events.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

On February 5th, 2011, 1billsfan wrote the following:

The Bills will certainly rue the day they select marginal talents like Miller, Dareus or whomever over Green.

Joe the Sixpack wrote,

"What dilemna? You thank your lucky stars the BPA in the entire draft is still available. Then run up to the mic and announce you're taking Green."

BILLriant wrote, "Aj is likely to fall to us at #3 and would be very hard to pass on no matter what our needs are."

I wrote "The Bills could justify taking Green in the first, Ponder in the second, and a RT in the third."

Koufax wrote the following

Wayne Cubed wrote

"If the #3 pick comes up and Green is there, the Bills would be wise to take him."

Admittedly, the people who wrote these things were in the minority. Levels of support for Green varied between those who were merely open to the idea of taking him (such as me) and those who flatly stated that Green would be a much better pick than Dareus (such as 1billsfan). At least thus far, 1billsfan's position--about both Green and Dareus--has been reinforced by subsequent events.

I watched Green a lot and really thought he was BPA at #3, easily.

That said, I'm not upset with the Dareus pick. And I certainly wouldn't label him a bust.

Off the top of my head, there are at least seven players selected after marcel that would have been better picks. How is the orignal post an over-reaction?

Don't you know that you must have at least 500 posts in order for your opinion to count for anything on these boards? Duh.

It's not talked about much, but I believe this is his first year playing in a 4-3 defense since before college I believe. Not that it matters a ton, but between his personal issues and being a young player it's probably not helping.

I'm just glad he's not a db, because he would be getting run out of town already.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

:lol: @ all the people saying we should have drafted Peterson. If we would have drafted a CB that high this board would have imploded. I'm very critical about Dareus however he was the best player available when we picked at a position of need. He led the team in sacks his rookie year playing multiple positions and has 2 sacks so far this year playing DT. I question his desire but not his skill, the guy may still be a bust yes but making that assessment 22 games into his career while playing in 2 different style defensive systems is ridiculous.

I think Marcell is fine. People go through phases. There is a problem with this team but it may not be all on the players. I see many Ex-Bills, coordinators and players, that went somewhere else and became very good. So don't rush to judgement just yet.

Every time I look at the 1st round in the 2011 draft I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I'm not ready to believe that this young man can't be a difference maker but if you look at the list and the guys we had a shot at that are making a big impact every Sunday in the NFL, you probably will too,

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/index

Insane post. Clearly, the defensive coaching is the main reason he is regressing. As are most of our defensive players.

I don't get it.

Almost all Bills fans are calling for our DC to be fired due to how horrible our D has been with him running it and now some people are calling Dareus a bust when he is only half way through his SECOND season?

Which is it? Is our players to blame or the DC?

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan

Every time one of these "should have drafted" threads start everyone seems to forget the most important part....

Everyone who comes to Buffalo is worst than they would have been somewhere else.

Swap Marcell for Von Miller or AJ Green and we are having the same discussion about how we should have drafted Marcell because he is tearing up the league.

:devil: