I'm not saying Marcell is a bust but...

I don't get it.

Almost all Bills fans are calling for our DC to be fired due to how horrible our D has been with him running it and now some people are calling Dareus a bust when he is only half way through his SECOND season?

Which is it? Is our players to blame or the DC?

CBF

Huh? That's like saying "hey how can you say Walsh and Montana were both good!?" I don't know, they probably were.

This is one of the worst defenses in league history. Doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

Edited by BuffOrange

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They asked marcell to add weight so he could play the 1-tech role DT on our defensive line. This is not his best position. His strengths are his athleticism for a big player, penetrating the the line. His weaknesses, at least coming out of college, were all related to stamina and experience.

Basically, he is intended to be somewhat of a space eater at DT in this defense and that is not his strong suit.

Edited by BrooklynBills

Every time I look at the 1st round in the 2011 draft I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I'm not ready to believe that this young man can't be a difference maker but if you look at the list and the guys we had a shot at that are making a big impact every Sunday in the NFL, you probably will too,

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/index

I won't call him a bust at all, at least yet, and he has gone through some family stuff in the past month. With that said, he is nowhere close to what was expected of him this year. It was assumed that he would improve on a pretty good rookie season, especially since he wasn't alone in the middle with Kyle Williams back and the additions at defensive end, but honestly he as taken quite a sizable step backwards, as has the run defense.

There are so many other things to do in life than to second guess every little thing this team does, like maybe, not post stupid crap like this for starters.

And don't you have other things to do in life besides criticize other individual's posts?

It's just a conversation piece tough guy. Take your members only jacket and go play some cricket at your castle in the sky.

Sorry, with a response like this I can no longer take anything you say seriously.

If you can't accept the fact that not everyone is going to agree with your opinion, perhaps you shouldn't post.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

On February 5th, 2011, 1billsfan wrote the following:

The Bills will certainly rue the day they select marginal talents like Miller, Dareus or whomever over Green.

Joe the Sixpack wrote,

"What dilemna? You thank your lucky stars the BPA in the entire draft is still available. Then run up to the mic and announce you're taking Green."

BILLriant wrote, "Aj is likely to fall to us at #3 and would be very hard to pass on no matter what our needs are."

I wrote "The Bills could justify taking Green in the first, Ponder in the second, and a RT in the third."

Koufax wrote the following

Wayne Cubed wrote

"If the #3 pick comes up and Green is there, the Bills would be wise to take him."

Admittedly, the people who wrote these things were in the minority. Levels of support for Green varied between those who were merely open to the idea of taking him (such as me) and those who flatly stated that Green would be a much better pick than Dareus (such as 1billsfan). At least thus far, 1billsfan's position--about both Green and Dareus--has been reinforced by subsequent events.

Where are the ones from those making the hindsight argument? I'm sure they're out there and, based on your dedication to the task above, I think you can find a few.

GO BILLS!!!

I won't call him a bust at all, at least yet, and he has gone through some family stuff in the past month. With that said, he is nowhere close to what was expected of him this year. It was assumed that he would improve on a pretty good rookie season, especially since he wasn't alone in the middle with Kyle Williams back and the additions at defensive end, but honestly he as taken quite a sizable step backwards, as has the run defense.

And don't you have other things to do in life besides criticize other individual's posts?

Good post. Just to add to what you've written: Dareus was playing at a disappointing level for the first few weeks of this season, and then his brother was killed. After which, Dareus went right on playing at a disappointing level.

Right now, he's playing like a bust. He didn't play like a bust as a rookie. If he could return to his rookie level play, he'd be considered a very solid player. But not nearly as good a player as the Bills could have had, had they drafted A.J. Green.

If the Bills had taken Green, their starting WRs would be Green and Stevie Johnson; with Graham providing a deep threat. Their starting running back would be Spiller. They'd have a solid pass catching TE in the form of Chandler. When healthy, their offensive line would be top-5 in pass protection, and top-5 in run blocking. This assemblage of talent would be similar to the Greatest Show on Turf. Except, of course, for the fact that the Rams had Kurt Warner, and we have, um, Ryan Fitzpatrick. But if the Bills had somehow been able to nab both Green and Ponder--the two players I most wanted from that draft--they would now have one of the most feared offenses in the NFL. It's unfortunate that the Bills chose Dareus over Green, and that Ponder was taken so much earlier than most (including me) had expected.

Good post. Just to add to what you've written: Dareus was playing at a disappointing level for the first few weeks of this season, and then his brother was killed. After which, Dareus went right on playing at a disappointing level.

Right now, he's playing like a bust. He didn't play like a bust as a rookie. If he could return to his rookie level play, he'd be considered a very solid player. But not nearly as good a player as the Bills could have had, had they drafted A.J. Green.

If the Bills had taken Green, their starting WRs would be Green and Stevie Johnson; with Graham providing a deep threat. Their starting running back would be Spiller. They'd have a solid pass catching TE in the form of Chandler. When healthy, their offensive line would be top-5 in pass protection, and top-5 in run blocking. This assemblage of talent would be similar to the Greatest Show on Turf. Except, of course, for the fact that the Rams had Kurt Warner, and we have, um, Ryan Fitzpatrick. But if the Bills had somehow been able to nab both Green and Ponder--the two players I most wanted from that draft--they would now have one of the most feared offenses in the NFL. It's unfortunate that the Bills chose Dareus over Green, and that Ponder was taken so much earlier than most (including me) had expected.

Green is a beast but let's settle down on Ponder. He is along for the ride. He has 9 tds to 6 ints (Fitz' 15 tds to 9 ints) and leads an offense that averages less points and yards than us. The real Minnesota wins is because of their defense (top 10 in points & yards compared to 2nd last unit), Percy Harvin (best yac receiver in football), and a top 10 all time running back.

Obviously, he's young and can improve but to say he is better than Fitz at this point is debatable at best. He is on a team with a much superior defense which helps any QB. IMO, Ponder will never be an elite type QB and if I draft a QB in the 1st, I want potential to be elite.

The great DTs in this league if healthy aged like fine wine. I don't care how well a guy flashes early in their career, it takes years to become a consistent player. KW flashed early in his career but is not in the same zipcode as KW before his ankle surgery. That is a testament to experience, hard work, and natural physical maturity. MD if everything goes right will play his best football in the years to come. Keep in mind that these are not one year contracts. MD is an investment and only time will tell.

I bet there are teams that wish they had taken Spiller before we did.

This game is always so easy to play when you already know the results.

1 STL Bradford, Sam, QB, Oklahoma 2 DET Suh, Ndamukong, DT, Nebraska 3 TB McCoy, Gerald, DT, Oklahoma 4 WAS Williams, Trent, OT, Oklahoma 5 KC Berry, Eric, SS, Tennessee 6 SEA Okung, Russell, OT, Oklahoma State 7 CLE Haden, Joe, CB, Florida 8 OAK McClain, Rolando, LB, Alabama 9 BUF

Spiller, C.J., RB, Clemson

That's the order, what do you all think?

Edited by first_and_ten

anything else youd like to share with us, nostradamus?