Best O-Line

Justice

The very best Offensive Line in the NFL, when healthy, resides in Western New York and will soon be back to 100%. I can't wait to see Cordy Glenn and Kraig Urbik back on the field. These guys are elite.

Cordy Glenn looks like a young Orlando Pace. This kid has it all. Size, strength, athleticism, and balance. Our line is clearly better when #77 is on the field. He looks like he can be Nix's best selection ever and that's saying something! Byrd, Spiller and Dareus provide stiff competition. (Spiller started off slow, that's the only reason why I ranked Glenn higher.)

Urbik is a road grader and he's stout in pass-pro, as well. The Bills have been handcuffed by their injuries on the line, specifically at the RG position where the drop off is most glaring. Urbik will solidify that area and help the running game immensely.

Wood and Levitre are highly talented at their respective positions. Wood isn't even all the way back to being 100%, yet. He can get even better! Levitre is technically sound in every way.

But there is one move the Bills need to make in order to become elite as a unit. Hairston needs to takeover Pears' spot at RT. Hairston is made to be a right tackle. Pears hasn't been playing all that well and Hairston is definitely holding his own on the left. Physically, he's more suited to play the right. If Chan Gailey is smart he'd make this move as soon as Cordy returns.

Glenn and Urbik might be back week 8, after the bye. They'll be back to form by week 10, for sure. Just in time for the stretch run, including 3 December home games. We control our own destiny as of now and we can take over first place in the division if we dedicate ourselves to the running game.

CJ and Freddie are the best offensive weapons we have and Fitzy is a liability. It's a no-brainer. If Gailey can't see that then we need to bring someone in that can.

The time to switch QB or draft a talented rookie is when you have a good OL.

And as much as some people argue that Fitz makes the line good, by and large I think that's specious and still not a good argument to keep a guy who can't throw for stevestojan even behind this Best OL. What profit a team to have big nasties like this if the QB can't deliver the ball?

The very best Offensive Line in the NFL, when healthy, resides in Western New York and will soon be back to 100%. I can't wait to see Cordy Glenn and Kraig Urbik back on the field. These guys are elite.

Cordy Glenn looks like a young Orlando Pace. This kid has it all. Size, strength, athleticism, and balance. Our line is clearly better when #77 is on the field. He looks like he can be Nix's best selection ever and that's saying something! Byrd, Spiller and Dareus provide stiff competition. (Spiller started off slow, that's the only reason why I ranked Glenn higher.)

Urbik is a road grader and he's stout in pass-pro, as well. The Bills have been handcuffed by their injuries on the line, specifically at the RG position where the drop off is most glaring. Urbik will solidify that area and help the running game immensely.

Wood and Levitre are highly talented at their respective positions. Wood isn't even all the way back to being 100%, yet. He can get even better! Levitre is technically sound in every way.

But there is one move the Bills need to make in order to become elite as a unit. Hairston needs to takeover Pears' spot at RT. Hairston is made to be a right tackle. Pears hasn't been playing all that well and Hairston is definitely holding his own on the left. Physically, he's more suited to play the right. If Chan Gailey is smart he'd make this move as soon as Cordy returns.

Glenn and Urbik might be back week 8, after the bye. They'll be back to form by week 10, for sure. Just in time for the stretch run, including 3 December home games. We control our own destiny as of now and we can take over first place in the division if we dedicate ourselves to the running game.

CJ and Freddie are the best offensive weapons we have and Fitzy is a liability. It's a no-brainer. If Gailey can't see that then we need to bring someone in that can.

I don't think you can give any credit to Buddy for Byrd I believe that was the DJ era!

I do have to agree that Glenn is a beast and just think he was not a good fit to be a LT according to the experts??? I also feel that Fitz does make the line look better as he gets rid of the ball quickly and very erratic. The good teams with good coaches that know how to plan can easily beat us like the jets, pats, san fran, because they all know the Bills can't throw deep without a pick so the cover down causing issues. Chan has tried to stop this but Fitz is not accurate enough to hit the deep ball so teams can plan accordingly. That being said I feel we have a great line as we can run the ball even though teams play down on us. Fitz will have to make a few plays past 7 yards a pop in order to stop this. If he can't then the team will start falling apart very fast. It's hard for 5 guys to stop 8 or 9 evry down. Chan needs to start looking at a new qb. Great lines need a decent qb to look good.

Pears hasn't been playing all that well

What leads you to this conclusion?

Spiller is averaging more than 7 yds. per carry. Dontcha think that Pears enters into this equation? Wait until it gets cold. It will be great to have Pears mauling people. With all due respect, Pears, although not a superstar, is WAY better than you think. A RT doesn't have to be as agile as Walter Jones. The qb can usually see the rusher from that side. Pears is at the very least holding his own.

And btw, I agree wrt Hairston. He is probably, other than Spiller, the most improved player on the team. If he was a ufa right now he would sign for megabucks. The Bills have probably not been this strong at OT in the history of the franchise.

I thought Hairston was Nix's best ever selection as a serviceable plus tackle gotten in a mid round. That was until the Glenn pick. Watching Arizona try to pass protect highlighted how key those picks were.

best O line ??.....very subjective.....

here's one ranking that has us 13th:

13. Buffalo Bills

LT: Cordy Glenn

LG: Andy Levitre*

C: Eric Wood*

RG: Chad Rinehart*

RT: Erik Pears*

Top reserves: OT Chris Hairston, OG Kraig Urbik*, OT Sam Young, OT Zebrie Sanders

Overview: The Bills' 2011 offensive line graded out as the NFL's top pass-protecting unit, according to both Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders. Though no doubt assisted by Ryan Fitzpatrick's quick release, Buffalo allowed a league-low 23 sacks, which is another strong vote for the argument that elite left tackle play isn't necessarily a difference-making NFL quality. The Bills feel they improved on the left by stealing Glenn with the 41st pick in the draft, and bring back incumbent Hairston as a talented, tested backup. Similar players Urbik and Rinehart will vie for the right guard job. Wood is returning from a torn right ACL, but should be close to 100 percent by camp and has been a dominant center when healthy. While this group lacks household names, its combination of continuity, athleticism, and impressive scheming makes it quietly a top O-Line.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40484/179/2012-offensive-line-rankings?pg=2

best O line ??.....very subjective.....

here's one ranking that has us 13th:

13. Buffalo Bills

LT: Cordy Glenn

LG: Andy Levitre*

C: Eric Wood*

RG: Chad Rinehart*

RT: Erik Pears*

Top reserves: OT Chris Hairston, OG Kraig Urbik*, OT Sam Young, OT Zebrie Sanders

Overview: The Bills' 2011 offensive line graded out as the NFL's top pass-protecting unit, according to both Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders. Though no doubt assisted by Ryan Fitzpatrick's quick release, Buffalo allowed a league-low 23 sacks, which is another strong vote for the argument that elite left tackle play isn't necessarily a difference-making NFL quality. The Bills feel they improved on the left by stealing Glenn with the 41st pick in the draft, and bring back incumbent Hairston as a talented, tested backup. Similar players Urbik and Rinehart will vie for the right guard job. Wood is returning from a torn right ACL, but should be close to 100 percent by camp and has been a dominant center when healthy. While this group lacks household names, its combination of continuity, athleticism, and impressive scheming makes it quietly a top O-Line.

http://www.rotoworld...e-rankings?pg=2

That ranking came before this season even started. The line has been better than I, and many others, expected it to be.

I agree that, if this line stays together and stays healthy, that in the next year or two, it can be one of the best OL's in the NFL. Say what you will about Buddy Nix, obviously one of his goals coming into this job was to improve the offensive and defensive lines. You can say, "well, duh" but it would have been nice if that had been a priority for any of the three or four prior regimes. The Bills' O-Line had been deteriorated from the mid-90's on. Flutie helped hide the flaws (Johnson helped expose them). I think this team would have had an infinitely better decade if Tom Donahue came in and said "this O-Line sucks and we're determined to make it better" (say by drafting Steve Hutchinson and Matt Light #1 and #2 in 2001).

I thought the best part of his post was using that article to rebuff what he had deemed "subjective" analysis from fans...

Any ranking system is going to be subjective based off of how the ranker weighs each criteria in which they evaluate the squad/position.

What is more important is how the line is performing in the offense that it is running. Clearly this will also be subjective, but I would say the Bills line is doing an admirable job of handling their responsibilities. I'm glad for the depth we have with Rinehart and Hairston, but I think both Urbik and Glenn have been more consistent while they're playing.

The wheels came off on this team when Glenn went down. . . Might be coincidence but could be a sign he is more important than folks give credit for.

I disagree.

There is no doubt that Glenn has produced in a big way, however, Chris Hairston has done a good job at LT.

Fitz still has an ample amount of time to pass, even on blitzes.

Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait for Glenn & Urbik to come back and make this O-Line whole again. But I wouldn't say the wheels came off the team when Glenn got injured.

Should still pick up a G in mid rounds, and a tackle late in the next draft.

You really cannot take a break in shoring it up.

Belichick usually takes two or three OL every draft, even when they were solid. That's because it's that important.

Good post. Totally agree.

It'll be interesting to see if Nix can or will sign Levitre now and perhaps Wood when his deal expires after 2013. From a value perspective a good LG is worth more than a C, but guards are getting ridiculous contracts in UFA (see Carl Nicks).

Levitre is a top ten LG in this league and was well on his was to a pro bowl last season until injuries forced him to LT.

Well, the title of "best O-line" is certainly a little bit subjective but I certainly believe that we are much better than the average rating we received in the beginning of the season in the previously mentioned article. (Ranked 13 out of 32)

Yes, Fitz has been throwing short routes, but right now we are third in sacks allowed, third in rushing yards per attempt, and have helped Spiller to lead the league in yards per carry. With the exception of Pears, no one has played more than 5 years and Glenn has made Nix look like a genius and Mayock look like an idiot (not too tricky) so barring career ending injuries I think our O-line will be a tough unit for years to come. If we want to take a rookie QB and try to groom him for the future, the time is going to be at this next draft.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

Wait. So, you're saying Glenn's injury is why the Bills defense flat out sucked? :huh:

Well it was a bit tongue in cheek but if you are of the mind "Fitz and the O sucks and it's keeping the d on the field too much" then losing the guy Spiller was running for his most yards behind may be a key part of the total team decline. Particularly as the timing of his injury matches the decline very closely.

We had a pretty reliable run game pre Glenn injury.

That being said I think the problem with the team is really the D and i was half joking tying it to losing Glenn.

Edited by gjnoronh

The men in front of Fitz have been something to watch. I would guess most folks dont watch the oline too closely. I never used to.

Including our rotation of Hairston in for both Pears and Glenn, we do have one heck of a line.

They each play to the whistle and often can be seen driving LBs and safeties after defeating their man. No wonder we run so well

Nix has done well by me with our current O line. A tight group and improving.