So, if Merriman has any impact what does that tell you?

Beerball

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, he wasn't picked up by any other team, but the Bills should know him better than anyone at this point. If he contributes what does that tell you about this staff?

Let me take a stab....

Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey are secretly on the payroll of Los Angeles interests who want the Bills to suck so much that fans will help them load the moving vans?

PTR

Am I the first legit answer?

To me it would be a sign that Wannstadt and crew is at the point where they are lobbing grenades. We have a lot of talent on this front 7 and it is not being utilized, to date. This past Sunday seemed we did some stunts, something we should have done against NE, not against two mediocre QB's. This to me was also a sign where Wannstadt might just now getting uneasy.

Or...

The stunts were a sign that this DL is gelling, Wannstadt is seeing the things he likes to set up the schemes he likes. We have been sluggish in several positions each week, MLB, OLB, Safety, and even DL. Perhaps only FS was the consistent position. Now that Wannstadt may be confident in what he has in the bag he is ready to bring some things out of it.

Hypothesis...

Since we were lacking on the DL, specifically DE, we needed a DE and we did not see a point in bringing in a young player when we already have some. Last game we brought on extra OL because we were hurting pretty bad. Now, we cut them. We are free a roster position that was only used for, at best, a marginal impact special player. We brought back Howell, who is a student of the game and someone I want to keep an eye on (reminds me of Coy Wire or Jabar Greer - both talented but not all world, on a roster full of talent)...but Howell can contribute on special teams.

The next position we needed was DE. We probably never told SM to expect a call, but I figured he would get a call. Unlike Dwan Edwards, who was released early out of respect, we clung to SM hoping to get a few last drops of fuel. We know they are in there, he is 27, afterall, but we just do not know if we can get them out.

In conclusion...

I say we use Merriman for whatever he has left. We put him in sparingly, because we do not need to put him in, but we get every drop out of him we can. If he succeeds then it tells us that 31 other teams did not feel he was worth adding to their team and it tells us that the Bills brought back a player they cut previously. Just like the Jets with Maybin, we will great credit for being incredibly smart for doing this but in reality for both situations it was such a long shot that there is no conclusion that can be made short of needing talent.

Just wondering, he wasn't picked up by any other team, but the Bills should know him better than anyone at this point. If he contributes what does that tell you about this staff?

Well, by that logic, if he contributes what does that tell you about all of the teams that passed on him?

I like the re-singning...as long as Merriman actually dresses for some games, plays, and Chan doesn't tell us he "needs time to get into "football" shape". If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waived again in a few weeks..

Let's get the band back together...VY is till out there! :rolleyes:

Edited by Buftex

The reason they cut him is because Kyle Moore showed them that he had a lot of skill as a pass rusher, and with Mario, And Anderson as pass rushers, along with Kelsay warranting some plays, it wasn't worth paying Merriman $4 mil and losing Kyle Moore.

I can see how someone may slightly disagree with that logic, but I don't really see how anyone could not see why that may be the right move, or to be clueless. They put Kyle Moore in and he played very well, showing that skill and the faith they had in him. Meanwhile, no one signed Merriman.

Now, Mark Anderson is hurt, and out for at least a month. Spencer Johnson is hurt and may not be back this week. So they sign a guy they know and they like, who has had two more months to rehab his bad achillees. If he plays well, it's a bonus. The chances are not all that good that he is going to be great. But if he is solid, it doesn't mean they were stupid or clueless before. The same reasoning stands.

Just by him being on the team will make an impact , if he is put on the field it will be a larger impact !

THe thing that i can't wait to see is if he does make a difference & when Anderson gets back to being healthy do they pull a boner & let Merriman go & put Anderson back in the line up when he wasn't really doing any thing ?

Or do they admit that they should have kept him & let him stay if he has an impact ?

B/c while he was gone one thing is for sure our D didn't scare any one !!

Just imagine the potential -- Merriman - Williams - Dareus - Williams --- ????????