Russell Wilson will never be elite

ny33

The issue you speak of

The issue you speak of (opposing DCs identifying and attacking a young quarterback's weaknesses) is something that most all young QBs go through for sure.

Interesting thing about Wilson is that earlier in the season (and we commented on this during an early season live game thread, I think it was the first Seahawks-Niners game) the Seahawks were running a painfully simplified offense.

Their offense resembled a college offense and they were not very good. That week Warren Moon said that the Seahawks were bringing Wilson along too slowly, not giving him enough of the offense and thus stunting his development.

Since then it seems they've opened up the playbook more and Wilson has been getting better each week.

It should be interesting to track his progress especially as it compared to Luck, Griffin, and Tanneyhill, all of whom are having good to great rookie seasons.

definitely - hes playing really well, and any player has those plateau stages.

with this case, like you mentioned - they suddenly opened up the playbook. adding the read options, the pistol formations, etc... Stuff like that can sometimes get you a quick boost, and then even out a bit lower over the long term as guys get a hang of what your trying to do. other times its just a sign that the player has a diverse skill set and the offensive can continue to evolve and grow. i will definitely say that it looks like he has the skills to lineup without gimmicks and play well though. still not sure where his plateau will end up but hes looking better and better.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not sure where his plateau will end up but hes looking better and better.

That's for sure.

In one sense ny33 has not been proven incorrect in his original post (and weeks ago he admitted that he underestimated Wilson) because we still don't know if Wilson will ever truly be elite.

I agree with you that he's looking pretty damn good and I think he'll likely be able to maintain this current level of play because his improvement as a player should be able to offset the ability of defenses to more effectively gameplan for him.

That's for sure.

In one sense ny33 has not been proven incorrect in his original post (and weeks ago he admitted that he underestimated Wilson) because we still don't know if Wilson will ever truly be elite.

I agree with you that he's looking pretty damn good and I think he'll likely be able to maintain this current level of play because his improvement as a player should be able to offset the ability of defenses to more effectively gameplan for him.

Every game in the NFC playoff is going to be amazing. One possible matchup in the first round is Washington-Seattle. The winner would go on to play Atlanta. As bad as Buffalo's season has been, I'm excited for these playoffs, particularly to see what happens with all of the rookie QBs.

Not trying to brag, but I did say I thought Wilson was a top ten pick back in March!!!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/144025-mocck-draft-page/?do=findComment&comment=2425357

I was off on where Wilson would go tho, mainly bc of all the other stuff on the internet. This is the page I based my Mock off of http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/06/pfws-exclusive-draft-value-chart-7

To be fair #34fan was spot on also!!! http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142967-for-the-russell-wilson-fans/page__st__20?do=findComment&comment=2421421

Not trying to brag, but I did say I thought Wilson was a top ten pick back in March!!!

http://forums.twobil...e/#entry2425357

I was off on where Wilson would go tho, mainly bc of all the other stuff on the internet. This is the page I based my Mock off of http://www.profootba...t-value-chart-7

To be fair #34fan was spot on also!!! http://forums.twobil...20#entry2421421

Nice call on Wilson, but your assessment of Sanu (who's shown very little this season) and Carder (a bigot who was cut and hasn't seen the field) proves that we fans don't exactly have great scouting skills. It's easy to fall in love with, or dislike, a prospect, as someone will always be right, but the fact is that we would all fail if we stepped into the draft room tomorrow.

Nice call on Wilson, but your assessment of Sanu (who's shown very little this season) and Carder (a bigot who was cut and hasn't seen the field) proves that we fans don't exactly have great scouting skills. It's easy to fall in love with, or dislike, a prospect, as someone will always be right, but the fact is that we would all fail if we stepped into the draft room tomorrow.

Just like Buddy!

The hard part when your pulling the strings is you can't make decisions on moving away from someone, but moving towards someone and if they are not the guy, you pass. Ask anyone in high end management. We all know we have to move away from Fitz, but someone implying Tannehill, or a couple others on thisthread is silly. I agree with the post on making the mistake on Dalton. He was in a pro style offense for four years and was excellent.

Our problem is there is no one who looks like a franchise QB in the draft. This means this year when we go 5/11 as we won't even be able to beat the Jets, is we'll have to see if Alex Smith, or the others is a possibility.

Please read the date of this post and then read through the thread. Quit replying to something that was said months ago and catch up with what is currently being said (thanks, Beerball)

The date of your post has everything to do with things. People are full of crap, then they pontificate, and they are later invariably proven wrong.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I know. But with something like this, you just kinda have to. A ton of Bills fans wanted this guy, especially if he was there after the first round.

Again, I know, I know.

It would just be nice if the Bills front office was smarter than the fans or Mel Kiper for a change.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Who knows how his NFL career will play out, but that has one heck of a rookie season.

Agreed. His arm strength and ability to avoid hits has impressed me, and I know I've been among the slower ones to come around. I don't know where his ceiling ends up but his floor seems to be pretty good. I still don't predict that he ever gets to the top 3-5 rankings in the next generation (you know, the "elite" conversation) but ill stand by not being surprised at all if he has a solid career.

Wilson and RG III are fun to watch and exciting players but there are not sustainable the rushing yards go down and you have to replace those yards he "used" to run for. Fun for a year or two- someone like John Elway could run but he ran to get guys uncovered only breaking 300 yds in a season once.