A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particuar order.....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could be an OC, but really has no business being a HC. NONE. Lacks judgement and management skills. Hes a kevin gilbride at best. This game should have been all about keeping it close and giving your team a chance to win against a tough team on the road. Not trying to blow them out with an aerial attack.

I agree with this. Chan woulf be a decent OC if he had a strong head coach to make crucial calls and decisions.

At one point, a holding penalty was called on the 49ers. A lineman tackled our right DE. Harbaugh was on the sidelines, screaming. Chan doesn't seem to show any emotion. I understand that different coaches have differing levels of emotion, but Gailey is losing the team, and needs to light a fire just to get them back to being competitive, let alone win a football game. He could start by getting tid of Wanny.

What a mess.

I agree with this. Chan woulf be a decent OC if he had a strong head coach to make crucial calls and decisions.

At one point, a holding penalty was called on the 49ers. A lineman tackled our right DE. Harbaugh was on the sidelines, screaming. Chan doesn't seem to show any emotion. I understand that different coaches have differing levels of emotion, but Gailey is losing the team, and needs to light a fire just to get them back to being competitive, let alone win a football game. He could start by getting tid of Wanny.

What a mess.

The thing is, the guy came in, had his own clear philosophy for how an offense should be run, what type of players to have, what players should be able to do on the field, etc etc. That's fine for an assistant, problem is when they become head coaches they essentially over play their hand. They need a more balanced and aware HC to temper that. For example, I can imagine a Parcells as HC over ruling the decision to run a fresh from injury/smallest RB on the roster Spiller up the middle on 1st and goal last week. Or yesterday giving the order at the end of the first half on Bills possession with the Chandler turnover to RUN as much time off the clock as possible. Dont want to take chances turning it over, especially when we get ball to start 2nd half. Down one score at half on road to this team isn't bad ... etc etc.

Chan does stuff a Kevin Gilbride would do, problem is there's no Tom Coughlin to step in when necessary.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

What a mess.

I really wonder what the root of the problems are. I thought George Edwards was in over his head and wanted him replaced. I was happy to see DaveW get the job as his previous track record as DC is pretty good. He has decent talent to use yet we see this embarassment of a D on the field ? Not sure what is going on but it is very very bad. We have gone through some low points over the last decade or so but I can't recall feeling so short of hope.

2. This game could have been close if not for Gailey's horrific errant play calls at crucial times. A pair of pass calls on 3rd and 2, one in red zone. Decision to call 2 pass plays at end of first half instead of running down the clock and settling for being one score down and getting ball to start 2nd half; leads to TD, 2 score deficit, and demoralized team headed into locker room. Last week it was the 1st goal from the 2 run Spiller w/ bad shoulder up the middle fumble.

I couldn't agree more.

1) Byrd looked like he was running in sand. He was also pushed back 15 yards or so by a wide receiver who he was back pedaling away from. He was shaken up in the 4th quarter, and if he sits, it will be not so much of a loss. What to do? They will probably use the franchise tag on him.

2) Kyle William was flat out pancaked on a third and long run in the second quarter. His play has fallen WAY off, to the point that he is no help in virtually any situation.

3) I love to see Graham line up as one of 2 in the slot. He gets open, and would go deep if he had a quarterback who could reach him.

4) I wanted the Bills to fire Wanny at halftime. Consider this a flat out call for his immediate dismissal. I will say it. His defense is worse than that of Jauron. I never in my life thought I would say this about any DC. Jauron had his team run away from scrimage, and this was actually better than the mess that Wanny has put forth. Disgusting. Absolutely sickening.

5) I don't even know who this kid Bradham is, but I thank him for caring enough to fight to make plays. Wanny will probably sit him and insert another defensive back. I am serious.

6) Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,

Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,

A knife in the back

And more of the same.

7) Dareus? Like the kid, but he is getting handled at will, and he has zero push.

8) Fitz? He makes sure to kill any chance the Bills have of getting back into any game. The pick after the really nice gain by Brad Smith on the wildcat was the last straw. He is not, nor will he ever be a good starting quarterback. Case closed.

9) He did it AGAIN!!! Wanny had 1 f-----g linebacker on the field on 3rd and 5, with approx 5 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Of course, they ran it down our throats.

10) Mario? He played like utter garbage, a total non-factor. Don't be fooled by that one pressure. Smith just happened to run into him. He was blocked out of the play, as usual.

11) This is HUGE imo. On one play, Kelsay ran in to relieve Mario, who promptly waved him off. Kelsay ran back to the sidelines. This begs the questions.....Does Wanny have ANY control? Does Gailey? The answers are obvious. If it were up to me, I would keep Gailey until the end of the year, but again, Wanny should be fired TONIGHT!!!!!!!

12) Aaron Williams is a lousy cb. Period. He had one decent game, once. He will never be any good, so say hello to another first round corner.

13) Well, we are now a record setting, laughing stock. I would apologize to my daughters for making them Bills fans, but girls, believe it or not, it will help you in the end. You won't give up on things. And, you will be more loyal than others, and people will see it. People you care about will know it, and you will be trusted in turn, because of this. The Bills are a mess no doubt, but they are OUR mess.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, You are over analyzing this team. The major problem with this team has little to do with team weaknesses as much as it has to do with organizatioanal shallowness. We have a 94 yr old owner who is frail and probably not always aware. When he passes he will be auctioning off the team to the highest bidder. The organization couldn't come up with a lengthy lease agreement because he won't (through his trusted advisor, Littman) commit to the keeping his "asset" in the region because it might diminish its appeal when placed on the market. Do you expect the organization to be successfully run in such an unstable environment? Do you expect the owner who has never been interested in pursuing the most competent football people be able to hire the best people to turn around his ramshackle organization?

Buddy Nix has done some good things in his three year stint. But everything he has done is being undercut by the fact that he doesn't have a legitimate qb who has the physical skills to play the position. I saw nearly a dozen big plays available to our receivers, including backs, that were there to be made. He simply didn't have the wherewithal to make the play. If you can't find a legitimate franchise qb in three years or at least get a prospect in the pipeline in such time then it is time to find another field of endeavor.

This organization had the opportunity to draft Dalton. It didn't seize on it. This organizaiton had an opportunity to draft Ponder. It didn't seize on it. There were other legitmate prospects that were available that could have been taken but the brain trust was passive. I understand why particular qbs are not taken at the very top of the draft for value reasons. There is a simple solution. Trade down the board and fill your most critical need and garner additional picks in the process. A little imagination and creativity would give this organization a boost. You don't think Dalton (who I like a lot) would have dramatically change the dynamics for our slumbering offense?

The Bills are an embarrassment because they are a stupidly run organization. It never ends. It continues to do the same foolish things; and the results continue to be the same. What a surprise!!!!

I couldn't agree more.

I agree with the horrific play calling on 3rd and short - it was Mularkeyesque.

But - both plays were there to be made, and Fitz made bad throws on both. Jones still should have caught the first one, but CJ had no chance on the sideline route.

I am totally off the Fitz bandwagon. I drank the kool aid for a while but after his last 2 games it couldn't be any clearer that he is one of the worst QBs in the league. He simply can't make all the throws and his only consistency is making bad throws.

That wounded duck interception was the last straw.

RTB

I agree with the horrific play calling on 3rd and short - it was Mularkeyesque.

But - both plays were there to be made, and Fitz made bad throws on both. Jones still should have caught the first one, but CJ had no chance on the sideline route.

I am totally off the Fitz bandwagon. I drank the kool aid for a while but after his last 2 games it couldn't be any clearer that he is one of the worst QBs in the league. He simply can't make all the throws and his only consistency is making bad throws.

That wounded duck interception was the last straw.

RTB

I gave up on him in preseason so in No way should my comments be seen as making excuses For Fitz. But except for a VERY short list of QBs like Brady and Rodgers , you Don't call pass on those downs.

And that Wounded duck interception it was weird: it was almost as if Fitz gave up on himself.

2. This game could have been close if not for Gailey's horrific errant play calls at crucial times. A pair of pass calls on 3rd and 2, one in red zone.

The one pass play just killed me. The Bills are starting to get moving a bit having already picked up a first down on the drive and are now in 3rd and 2. So what is the call? A incredibly low percentage pass down the left sideline in an attempt to get a big play. NEWSFLASH: When your offense is struggling and you're trying to get something going 3rd and 2 is not the time to try the deep throw - particularly not with a QB who has trouble with that throw.

I've said before, and I'll say again, that the organization is going to continue being inept until it stops trying to play catch up.

And the sad thing is that many fans here have been complicit in that effort.

Headline: THE GIANTS WIN SUPERBOWL ___ BY PRESSURING BRADY.

What do we do? We follow the formula...we spend a bunch of money on a Dline, mortgaging the future in order to insert individually strong components on a line hoping to replicate the tandem that beat one team, one or two times.

We're always a game behind, a trend behind, a player behind, a unit behind, a coaching staff behind because the organization (and the fans, but I digress) lack the creativity and the perspicuity to see things beyond what happened over the course of a couple seasons that was successful for some other team.

Meanwhile, most of the league grows up and evolves. The Patriots, who twice were beat by the same formula, continue to stockpile quick-hitting receivers and big tight ends to neutralize the rush. They incorporate a lightning fast non-huddle attack to nuetralize the rush. They stock pile these little annoying water bug no-name receivers (Edelman and the annoying squirt who was cut from the Jets) to neutralize the rush. And frankly it worked and is working. They lost to the Giants again but Brady wasn't man-handled like he was a few years ago. They were one Welker drop away from a different outcome.

We're always playing catch up. We're reactive. The only way to change that trend is to turn the pressure around on everyone else. We need to mortgage the farm to draft Geno Smith, stockpile offensive playmakers, and continue constructing a formiddable o-line so that we can take the battle to the other team.

I started a thread on this a year or two ago that was all about the merits of drafting AJ Green over Dareus towards the goal of putting points on the board and making the other teams play catch up. For once, we can be ahead of the trend. Many thought that idea was ludicrous. Theirs was more of the same, knee-jerk, stay the course, lack creativity and follow the formula BS that this team has adhered to for decades.

The ONLY way to put the game-day fortunes of this team in it's own hands is to place the primary focus on scoring points. The defense can be built incrementally and will be helped by the pace that the offensive sets and the pressure that that places on other teams to score.

In my thread a year ago, I mentioned as an example a Colts/Patriots game 5 years ago or so were Belichick had to keep going for it on 4th down because he couldn't afford to get down to the Colts because their offense was so potent.

Very few will agree with me. Very few did last year. But my concerns continue to bear themselves out. We've spent a hundred and something million on a pass rush that is getting pimped by the opposing team's offenses. BECAUSE THEY'VE SEEN THAT MOVIE BEFORE.

Teams are scoring an assload on these Bills because our "fix" was a season or two behind.

Go ahead...be silly and ask me what the offense could have done to prevent the 49ers from scoring 45 points or how AJ green could have stopped Frank Gore from running all over the place.

First person to do that missed the point.

By the way, not everyone has been myopic and has lacked creativity. The Senator proposed the idea of hiring Mike Leach a few years back. Though I wouldn't have supported it and don't think he would have been successfull here, it still shows A LOT of creativity and vision.

That is what this team needs.

Edited by Juror#8

I've said before, and I'll say again, that the organization is going to continue being inept until it stops trying to play catch up.

And the sad thing is that many fans here have been complicit in that effort.

Headline: THE GIANTS WIN SUPERBOWL ___ BY PRESSURING BRADY.

What do we do? We follow the formula...we spend a bunch of money on a Dline, mortgaging the future in order to insert individually strong components on a line hoping to replicate the tandem that beat one team, one or two times.

We're always a game behind, a trend behind, a player behind, a unit behind, a coaching staff behind because the organization (and the fans, but I digress) lack the creativity and the perspicuity to see things beyond what happened over the course of a couple seasons that was successful for some other team.

Meanwhile, most of the league grows up and evolves. The Patriots, who twice were beat by the same formula, continue to stockpile quick-hitting receivers and big tight ends to neutralize the rush. They incorporate a lightning fast non-huddle attack to nuetralize the rush. They stock pile these little annoying water bug no-name receivers (Edelman and the annoying squirt who was cut from the Jets) to neutralize the rush. And frankly it worked and is working. They lost to the Giants again but Brady wasn't man-handled like he was a few years ago. They were one Welker drop away from a different outcome.

We're always playing catch up. We're reactive. The only way to change that trend is to turn the pressure around on everyone else. We need to mortgage the farm to draft Geno Smith, stockpile offensive playmakers, and continue constructing a formiddable o-line so that we can take the battle to the other team.

I started a thread on this a year or two ago that was all about the merits of drafting AJ Green over Dareus towards the goal of putting points on the board and making the other teams play catch up. For once, we can be ahead of the trend. Many thought that idea was ludicrous. Theirs was more of the same, knee-jerk, stay the course, lack creativity and follow the formula BS that this team has adhered to for decades.

The ONLY way to put the game-day fortunes of this team in it's own hands is to place the primary focus on scoring points. The defense can be built incrementally and will be helped by the pace that the offensive sets and the pressure that that places on other teams to score.

In my thread a year ago, I mentioned as an example a Colts/Patriots game 5 years ago or so were Belichick had to keep going for it on 4th down because he couldn't afford to get down to the Colts because their offense was so potent.

Very few will agree with me. Very few did last year. But my concerns continue to bear themselves out. We've spent a hundred and something million on a pass rush that is getting pimped by the opposing team's offenses. BECAUSE THEY'VE SEEN THAT MOVIE BEFORE.

Teams are scoring an assload on these Bills because our "fix" was a season or two behind.

Go ahead...be silly and ask me what the offense could have done to prevent the 49ers from scoring 45 points or how AJ green could have stopped Frank Gore from running all over the place.

First person to do that missed the point.

By the way, not everyone has been myopic and has lacked creativity. The Senator proposed the idea of hiring Mike Leach a few years back. Though I wouldn't have supported it and don't think he would have been successfull here, it still shows A LOT of creativity and vision.

That is what this team needs.

Very good post! :thumbsup:

I'd also like to thank Bill for once again having written some good posts of his own. This thread is always a treat, even after a loss.

I wish I'd joined you in your advocacy for AJ Green. Going into that draft, I threw out hints that the Bills should strongly consdier him as a possibility. But I never came right out and said they should take him. I wish I'd listened to my gut; which told me Green would become a much better football player than Dareus.

I'd argue that whatever the Bills thought they were doing, they did not replicate the New York Giants model. The Bills' DL may look good on paper, but its on-field accomplishments are not comparable to the Giants' DL. The Giants' D also made tackles in the running game; and played tight pass coverage with their back seven. You have to earn everything you get against that defense!

But the single most important difference between the Giants and the Bills is that they have a franchise QB; whereas we have Ryan Fitzpatrick. If a game becomes a defensive struggle, the Giants have a defense which can slug it out against anyone. If a game becomes a shootout, they have a franchise QB to do their shooting. And they've surrounded him with a good supporting cast.

I fully agree that the Bills' biggest priority this offseason needs to be a franchise QB. Do whatever you have to do, trade up if need be, but get that franchise QB! :angry:

I'd also like to thank Bill for once again having written some good posts of his own. This thread is always a treat, even after a loss.

I wish I'd joined you in your advocacy for AJ Green. Going into that draft, I threw out hints that the Bills should strongly consdier him as a possibility. But I never came right out and said they should take him. I wish I'd listened to my gut; which told me Green would become a much better football player than Dareus.

I'd argue that whatever the Bills thought they were doing, they did not replicate the New York Giants model. The Bills' DL may look good on paper, but its on-field accomplishments are not comparable to the Giants' DL. The Giants' D also made tackles in the running game; and played tight pass coverage with their back seven. You have to earn everything you get against that defense!

But the single most important difference between the Giants and the Bills is that they have a franchise QB; whereas we have Ryan Fitzpatrick. If a game becomes a defensive struggle, the Giants have a defense which can slug it out against anyone. If a game becomes a shootout, they have a franchise QB to do their shooting. And they've surrounded him with a good supporting cast.

I fully agree that the Bills' biggest priority this offseason needs to be a franchise QB. Do whatever you have to do, trade up if need be, but get that franchise QB! :angry:

The Giants are actually a good example of what is going on here: great DL, horrible linebackers and inept/inexperienced secondary. QB who started his career as a turnover machine. Mostly no-name WRs. No real left tackle on the roster. They're in a great division.

Yet they win games.

Why is this?

They have a coach who knows how to get the most out of his players (and his coaching staff!). And they have a GM who knows how to build a team and how to pick players to fit into his coaches' systems. Finally, they have an experienced and credible ownership group that maintains both stability and accountability.

We have a GM who is a good scout but has had ZERO experience team-building prior to this gig, and it shows.

Buddy Nix does not know how to install a system of coaching and scheme, draft and acquire players to execute that system, and develop and evaluate his own players in that system.

But it's not just Nix - we have an owner who (for a variety of reasons not worth re-hashing here) does not know how to, or won't, or can't, install the type of top-down accountability (and frankly, energy) that the modern NFL franchise requires. He's not going to pull the plug on Nix, at this point, and frankly, things would be even worse if he did, because he wouldn't know how to do it or what to transition to (remember the madness that followed the Donahoe firing? Marv/Brandon? Anyone??).

What this team NEEDS is for nature to take its course, a new owner to come in with a new set of expectations and goals, and for that owner to build this organization from the ground up. Until that happens, we really can't expect much to change. Yes, they can bottom out and (finally) draft a franchise QB, but honestly, that QB is just as likely to flop under the current structure. Again - this is a top-down problem. Until we get a new top, we're going to continue to head down.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This organization had the opportunity to draft Dalton. It didn't seize on it. This organizaiton had an opportunity to draft Ponder. It didn't seize on it. There were other legitmate prospects that were available that could have been taken but the brain trust was passive. I understand why particular qbs are not taken at the very top of the draft for value reasons. There is a simple solution. Trade down the board and fill your most critical need and garner additional picks in the process. A little imagination and creativity would give this organization a boost. You don't think Dalton (who I like a lot) would have dramatically change the dynamics for our slumbering offense?

The Bills are an embarrassment because they are a stupidly run organization. It never ends. It continues to do the same foolish things; and the results continue to be the same. What a surprise!!!!

No doubt we need an upgrade at QB. And I'll agree that we were in a position to draft Dalton.

But how were we in a position to draft Ponder? Are you suggesting the Bills should have taken him with the third pick in the draft? Are you suggesting the Bills should have passed on the consensus best player available and at a critical position of need and traded down? Nobody in their right mind would have done it at the time. AT THE TIME being the operative phrase.

GO BILLS!!!

Good thoughts sir.

I think we agree completely on that (franchise QB and WR needs). This organization is too accustomed to following someone else's model, what some other GM did here, there or wherever.

We need a franchise QB and we need to give a king's ransom to get one. If I hear one more person say that we should use our fist pick on a LB I'll completely lose it. That is the same reactive 'plug-the-hole' so that we can be like ________ mentality that leaves us playing this ridiculous game of "catch up."

We need to build a team predicated on scoring points and that can score points both running and throwing the football. We need an intelligent, franchise QB that can grind out wins on those rare occassions that a defense presents a challenge. We need a coach that is ahead of the creativity curve with respect to designing schemes that exploit opponent weaknesses. We need playmakers who are measurably fast, athletic, svelte, and are accustomed to finding the endzone. And we need a defense that is fast and opportunisitic.

Frankly, we need to tank this season and get our QB. I wish that Howard Schnellenberger was born 30 years later.

No doubt we need an upgrade at QB. And I'll agree that we were in a position to draft Dalton.

But how were we in a position to draft Ponder? Are you suggesting the Bills should have taken him with the third pick in the draft? Are you suggesting the Bills should have passed on the consensus best player available and at a critical position of need and traded down? Nobody in their right mind would have done it at the time. AT THE TIME being the operative phrase.

GO BILLS!!!

I believe the Bills were going to draft Ponder, and move up if they had to, but I think they were caught flat-footed when Minny took him as early as they did. Never really had the cnance possibly. Recall in the College All Star game that year, coached by Chan G too, all the QB's were awful yet Ponder lit it up under Gailey

The Giants are actually a good example of what is going on here: great DL, horrible linebackers and inept/inexperienced secondary. QB who started his career as a turnover machine. Mostly no-name WRs. No real left tackle on the roster. They're in a great division.

Yet they win games.

Why is this?

They have a coach who knows how to get the most out of his players (and his coaching staff!). And they have a GM who knows how to build a team and how to pick players to fit into his coaches' systems. Finally, they have an experienced and credible ownership group that maintains both stability and accountability.

We have a GM who is a good scout but has had ZERO experience team-building prior to this gig, and it shows.

Buddy Nix does not know how to install a system of coaching and scheme, draft and acquire players to execute that system, and develop and evaluate his own players in that system.

But it's not just Nix - we have an owner who (for a variety of reasons not worth re-hashing here) does not know how to, or won't, or can't, install the type of top-down accountability (and frankly, energy) that the modern NFL franchise requires. He's not going to pull the plug on Nix, at this point, and frankly, things would be even worse if he did, because he wouldn't know how to do it or what to transition to (remember the madness that followed the Donahoe firing? Marv/Brandon? Anyone??).

What this team NEEDS is for nature to take its course, a new owner to come in with a new set of expectations and goals, and for that owner to build this organization from the ground up. Until that happens, we really can't expect much to change. Yes, they can bottom out and (finally) draft a franchise QB, but honestly, that QB is just as likely to flop under the current structure. Again - this is a top-down problem. Until we get a new top, we're going to continue to head down.

Ralph is such a convenient excuse for the last decade of incompetence.

The man was in his 80s and the team was really damn successful. There are teams that have been bad with young owners, and good with old, meddling ownership. Tom Benson is damn near 90 and he has been successful. Dan Snyder and Jim Dolan are young and fertile but they don't have a clue.

If you don't believe that Ralph allows Nix to do his job, then that's on you. I think he does. I just think that GMs have been piss poor. Nix is marginally better but he still doesn't have any success on his resume as a GM.

Can Ralph be blamed for hiring bad GMs. Yeah. I guess so. But how proximately related is he to the product put on the field? If a GM or coach claims football bona fides, I blame them for putting out a ****ty product and for not having that claimed acumen. If I go to Cheescake Factory, and my service sucks because the waiter was terrible and my burger is undercooked, and it is like that every time I go, I don't blame it on Dave Overton. I blame it on myself for going, and on the individual most responsible for the hiring and retention of that employee.

This team gets better when we stop trying to emulate every trend and begin to think somewhat innovatively about the game of football.

Yet they win games.

Why is this?

Exactly. It's coming soon...Patience is a virtue.

GO BILLS!!!

Should have drafted AJ Green. He was the BPA at pick number 3.

I hope, hope, hope that this is not true, but I see Dareus having a Glenn Dorsey type career.

I see AJ Green being a Larry Fitzgerald clone.