Shawne Merriman where are you now?

I agree with many of you that the main two reasons why the defense has underachieved so far is that Wanny has been outcoached and the defense lacks a kick ass attitude - "mental toughness" as Chan puts it. Wanny has to make adjustments or get out and the defense desperately needs an IN YOUR FACE guy on defense who won't put up with complacency and going through the motions when things get tough. Ever see Ray Lewis on the sidelines in player’s faces when he's pissed off. There is no one on our defense like this. K. Williams tries but he is too much of a nice guy. M. Williams is a lead by example guy. Dareus is too young/quiet. We had a guy like this -Merriman who had the kick ass attitude, who demanded respect and gave the veteran presence in the locker room. I believe Wanny and Chan made a mistake letting him go even if he lost a step. Hell the guy who replaced him, Kyle Moore doesn’t even suit up.

I agree with you on the fact that we need someone who is an emotional leader and a voice/face of the defense. Mario Williams is arguably the best player on the team as well as the highest paid player. If he doesn't feel the urgency to be a locker room leader there is an ENORMOUS problem. I think his lackluster and emotional-less approach can actually divide him from the rest of the team. Merriman was definitely a good guy to pump up the team, I agree with you on that.

I also see merriman as being effective but just wasn't worth the money. Now that we could get him cheaper as he needs a job, he's worth bringing back cheaper. I don't think he was picked up after being worked out by a couple places.

That would be a good idea to bring him back for less money....ALL DAY!!

I agree with many of you that the main two reasons why the defense has underachieved so far is that Wanny has been outcoached and the defense lacks a kick ass attitude - "mental toughness" as Chan puts it. Wanny has to make adjustments or get out and the defense desperately needs an IN YOUR FACE guy on defense who won't put up with complacency and going through the motions when things get tough. Ever see Ray Lewis on the sidelines in player’s faces when he's pissed off. There is no one on our defense like this. K. Williams tries but he is too much of a nice guy. M. Williams is a lead by example guy. Dareus is too young/quiet. We had a guy like this -Merriman who had the kick ass attitude, who demanded respect and gave the veteran presence in the locker room. I believe Wanny and Chan made a mistake letting him go even if he lost a step. Hell the guy who replaced him, Kyle Moore doesn’t even suit up.

Well we still have our long-time leader Kelsay. :bag:

Nice post, 100% agree.

I'm going to date myself with this one... didn't Chuck Knox sign LB Phil Vilapiano and someone else who was past their prime mostly for their warrior attitudes and locker room presence?

Obviously, coaches should cast a strong leadership shadow that promotes "mental toughness." But a team needs player leaders, too.

I wouldn't mind if Merriman had a roster spot for this purpose.

These are grown men. I'm sure one of the 20 or so guys on the defensive side of the ball can step up and lead this team. There's no need to sign someone for an emotional kick. Maybe one of the younger guys need to step up to the leadership plate. It has to be done.

I totally agree with this point. This team lacks leadership and accountability. Even if Merriman was only used situationaly or pure 2nd string he is a voice that was needed.

To put it in other terms with a hockey perspective....how many times do you hear people rave about the intangibles that guys like Chris drury, mike grier, shane doan, etc... bring to a team? Its because they hold their peers to a standard and exert a follow me type of leadership. I dont see this anywhere on the bills......ugh.......

I'm going to date myself with this one... didn't Chuck Knox sign LB Phil Vilapiano and someone else who was past their prime mostly for their warrior attitudes and locker room presence?

Obviously, coaches should cast a strong leadership shadow that promotes "mental toughness." But a team needs player leaders, too.

Nope. He traded Bobby Chandler for Phil V. :censored:

Yes. If you could get him cheap, and he could impact in some rotations as well as not accept this attitude in losing, why not?

What's your downside when he is cheap and can still play?

Still play? LOL, then why is he in Vegas rolling dice and unsigned? The dude did absolutely ZERO here, but lets bring him back because he has a good attitude.

Isiah Robertson

Theres more than one way to lead. Not everyone is a rah rah guy. Williams said he wasnt when we signed him. He leads by example

Yea - he leads by doing nothing and crying about the officials. Now thats a great leader.

Edited by Azucho98

Ever think that maybe this team is taking on the personality of the head coach? This might be an issue.