Mario Williams - Mr. Invisible - Explain it

On mike and mike this morning they had Cris Carter on. He talked about how much we spent on Anderson and Williams along with drafting Dareus to make this a feared D. Then he went on about how he feels Mario is misting going through the motions on the field and not playing like a elite DE. They hinted that we may had to overpay but he still should be putting in a higher level of effort and he clearly is not.

I am glad they called him out. I believe Mario, Kyle, Nick all should be leading this team in performance and attitude they clearly weren't yesterday. No DE or LB was able to get around the outside of the lineman and push Brady to step up into Kyle and Marcell. We made it easy for him to shuffle around and wait for our porous secondary to get burned.

Im buddy I am calling out the leaders and coaching staff. Put the team on a flight today and work in Cali this week so they can adjust to the time change and focus just on the game away from the buffalo media and get these guys out of their comfort zone and actually push them to be better.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On mike and mike this morning they had Cris Carter on. He talked about how much we spent on Anderson and Williams along with drafting Dareus to make this a feared D. Then he went on about how he feels Mario is misting going through the motions on the field and not playing like a elite DE. They hinted that we may had to overpay but he still should be putting in a higher level of effort and he clearly is not.

I am glad they called him out. I believe Mario, Kyle, Nick all should be leading this team in performance and attitude they clearly weren't yesterday. No DE or LB was able to get around the outside of the lineman and push Brady to step up into Kyle and Marcell. We made it easy for him to shuffle around and wait for our porous secondary to get burned.

Im buddy I am calling out the leaders and coaching staff. Put the team on a flight today and work in Cali this week so they can adjust to the time change and focus just on the game away from the buffalo media and get these guys out of their comfort zone and actually push them to be better.

I'm of the opinion that these guys are supposed to be professionals and should not need Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey or anyone else to babysit them.

I find it impossible to believe that Mario or anyone else isn't trying or doesn't care. They are at the top of the pyramid of their profession and they did not get there by dogging it. I have no doubt that Mario and everyone else is trying their best, so far anyway that just aren't prepared enough and/or not skilled enough to win.

Marshall Faulk (for what that is worth) said much the same thing about Mario.

I can tell you, when there was a euphoria about signing Williams, I posted a link to an article from Houston sports media (can't remember who now) who reflected on Mario as a "good, not great, player"...his desire for the game was always in question during his Houston days. He would have a big play, or a stand-out game, now and again, but wasn't considered reliable, week in week out. Seems like we are seeing some of that.

I am not saying that Mario is a bust, but I think the expectations off signing two players were/are maybe a little too high. This team is still very much a work in progress. Mario Williams is not the second coming of Bruce Smith.

Marshall Faulk (for what that is worth) said much the same thing about Mario.

I can tell you, when there was a euphoria about signing Williams, I posted a link to an article from Houston sports media (can't remember who now) who reflected on Mario as a "good, not great, player"...his desire for the game was always in question during his Houston days. He would have a big play, or a stand-out game, now and again, but wasn't considered reliable, week in week out. Seems like we are seeing some of that.

I am not saying that Mario is a bust, but I think the expectations off signing two players were/are maybe a little too high. This team is still very much a work in progress. Mario Williams is not the second coming of Bruce Smith.

I remember that; I chose to ignore it then.

I remember that; I chose to ignore it then.

I tried to ignore it too..but living in a city where they show the Cowboys and Texans every week, around a lot of Texans fans, I really never heard much about Mario Williams. Most Texans fans I know didn't seem too concerned about his leaving. I won't say that anybody hated the guy, just that he seemed like just a good player, on team that had an up and down defensive history. I guess I was just hoping, just this once, the Bills would come out smelling like a rose in one of these situations. Mind you, I don't think Williams has been horrible...just not the game changer I (I think all of us) was hoping for. As much as we, as fans, want something to work. that is where our efforts end...the player has to want it as bad as the fans do. The guy looks to have the ability to dominate...why isn't he?

Come on guys, he is a sure target out there and takes pressure of other defenders. This entire D was owned today. The problem is Dave Wannstedt

NOT buying what you're selling... I saw him garner one on one blocking coverage and didn't do JACK SQUAT.

Bruce Smith would have ABUSED a guy like that with WALT SWIZZLE STICK COREY as our defensive coordinator!!!!

I'm so angry this morning, but the one person who should be the most angry, Ralph Wilson, probably doesn't even know what is going on anymore and that makes me even MORE angry because he's helpless due to his age.

i think Mario is playing at or near the best of his abilities. The bottom line is that he is a better than average def lineman in this league. Way too much expectations on him coming into this year.

I just dont understand why they don't move him around more.

I also wonder why they d line isn't rotated like in the past.

all this talk about mario in houston is crazy...........He was lights out awesome for a long period of time......Now IMO he looks slow and uninspired.........keep cashing those checks big boy......

hes been cashing absurd checks for a long time.

this isnt his first big pay day.

How Mario Williams has been completely neutralized for the first 4 games. He obviously was a monster in Houston, he has the talent and he doesnt appear to be hurt. Are they double teaming him in each game? Shouldnt that free up someone else to get to the QB? Is it the type of D that the Bills are playing, the schemes. Seriously can anyone explain why he has been basically invisible?

This is very easy to explain, and w/o reading through three pages of responses, someone may have already done so.

Mario was very overrated. He's good, but nowhere near as good as many seem to think he is and the media's assisted in painting a much larger picture of him than he deserves. As to Buffalo, naturally everyone that we sign is going to triple their output once they get here, at least until proven otherwise, that's a given, so the homer expectations are easily explicable.

But Houston is actually doing better without him presently.

In six seasons there he ranked among the top-10 sack getters only twice. TWICE! Not annually or anything close. In those two times he was 3rd and 7th, not 1st and 2nd.

So it's quite easy to see why he hasn't owned up to the ridiculous expectations.

It's a little bit more difficult, particularly since we've played Cleveland, KC, and the Jets, with QBs that are sack-easy, to figure out why he's not even on pace for his season average of around 10 sacks.

The easy answer is that he's drawing so much heat that the others are getting through, but anyone watching the games sees that he's not even beating the one-on-one's. As it is, his one solo sack has circumstances attached to it.

The answer is plain, he's good, just nowhere near as good as his contract is.

But who cares, his primary purpose has been served, to hold the fans' interest and to sell merchandise and get them all whooped up over just the next installment of Underacheivers-R-Us brought to you by Klown Koaching Inc.

And why no one is blaming Nix for this remains unanswered. The rest of his '12 Draft after Glenn is looking like crap too. Nothing after Gilmore, who has only been below average, and Glenn, who's been good at least.

i think Mario is playing at or near the best of his abilities. The bottom line is that he is a better than average def lineman in this league. Way too much expectations on him coming into this year.

I just dont understand why they don't move him around more.

I also wonder why they d line isn't rotated like in the past.

Short answer: Wannstedt

He's just another coach with a name that has always been heralded in the NFL's good-old-boy network as being better than he is.

Buffalo is a place for overrated people with more name value to come to get more than they should get because the administration needs the marketing boosts, while then leaving the fans high-n-dry.

Edited by TaskersGhost

He's just another coach with a name that has always been heralded in the NFL's good-old-boy network as being better than he is.

Buffalo is a place for overrated people with more name value to come to get more than they should get because the administration needs the marketing boosts, while then leaving the fans high-n-dry.

im sorry but i dont think anyone outside this board thought he was a big name for marketing boosts. if he was a marketing ploy, russ brandon is officially really bad at marketing too.

he is getting paid like a game changer.

Maybe Coach Chan needs to call him out in the press. I would question how motivated the guy is.

I'd say Chan better tell him to either Show up or cut him. I'm going for the latter...

Edited by mattsox

Theres a reason why the Texans let him walk in FA..........................

He is a big name mostly for being a #1 overall pick (over Reggie Bush) and being one of the biggest names on a bad team for a while in Houston

Hearing him talk after games and during the week this year, its aggrevating cause it just doesn't sound like he is disapointed or cares about losing, he just accepts it and has an excuse

Personally, after the pats game, If I was Chan, he would be riding the bench for most of the 49ers game to send a message that he wanted to be paid as one fo the best, he better start playing like it. Hopefully it embarrasses him a bit and motivates him to get better

How Mario Williams has been completely neutralized for the first 4 games. He obviously was a monster in Houston, he has the talent and he doesnt appear to be hurt. Are they double teaming him in each game? Shouldnt that free up someone else to get to the QB? Is it the type of D that the Bills are playing, the schemes. Seriously can anyone explain why he has been basically invisible?

i don't think he was "always" a beast in Houston, hasn't had double digit sacks since 2008. With that said, is it just the curse of the Bills? i won't however blame all of yesterdays disaster on him though, no way. More yards were gained right up the middle running the ball with Kyle Williams and Dareus pretty much being cardboard figures being pushed out of the way. This team is just bad, and spending all that money on one player, even if he lived up to the contract isn't going to turn a putrid defense into a Super Bowl defense. It doesn't appear that Wannstedt's defensive schemes have been worth what he is getting paid either. The Patriots couldn't have gotten more yards rushing yesterday if the defense overslept and missed the game completely. Just a sorry excuse for a football team, up and down the roster, offense, defense, special teams. Who will they cut this week? Lindell? He was as bad as Moorman has been (sarcasm intended), especially if DeHaven doesn't like him either.

I'd say Chan better tell him to either Show up or cut him. I'm going for the latter...

You really think Ralph would let him cut a player that about $50 million is guaranteed to? But then again, Ralph might not even remember they signed him.

Take a look at the tackles he's gone against in the first 4 games and it's even more depressing.

This is a good point. Cameron Wake destroyed that Jets Tackle. He is not going up against Anthony Munoz.

A few short weeks ago he was the toast of Buffalo. A couple months ago every one here insisted Mr. Wilson back up the brinks truck to Williams house and would have crucified both Mr. Wilson and Buddy Nix if they had not. The same fans now want Williams run out of town after 4 games.

Tough crowd.

Oh look, it's token contrarian guy. Yawn.

Yes lets blame the fans for being wrong about a signing because they all have the same resources at their disposal as Buddy Nix. I would rather be open-minded enough to admit I was wrong that it was a good signing than be a stubborn fool by blaming coaching for our $175mill DL getting manhandled by a pedestrian OL who was missing its best player.

Besides if you really want to compare average fan vs the actual Bills Front Office, drafting Ngata over Whitner likely trumps any superior move(s) the Bills actually did that most fans wouldn't have in the last 10 years. And that's pretty sad.

i don't think it is a GM's job to motivate players, that would be the coaching staff.

More yards were gained right up the middle running the ball with Kyle Williams and Dareus pretty much being cardboard figures being pushed out of the way.

Very good point.

According to http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/52404/patriots-brady-return-to-past-success

The Patriots gained 200 of their 247 rushing yards between the tackles, the third-highest yardage total of any team since the start of the 2008 season.

Oh look, it's token contrarian guy. Yawn.

Yes lets blame the fans for being wrong about a signing because they all have the same resources at their disposal as Buddy Nix. I would rather be open-minded enough to admit I was wrong that it was a good signing than be a stubborn fool by blaming coaching for our $175mill DL getting manhandled by a pedestrian OL who was missing its best player.

Besides if you really want to compare average fan vs the actual Bills Front Office, drafting Ngata over Whitner likely trumps any superior move(s) the Bills actually did that most fans wouldn't have in the last 10 years. And that's pretty sad.

So you are declaring the Mario signing as wrong after 4 games and that is a sign of being open minded? I'd call it reactionary. Yawn.

Based on the evidence Nix had at the time, trying to sign Mario WAS the right thing to do. It may or may not work out, it is too soon to tell. Mario has certainly contributed next to nothing so far to be sure. But a bad signing stance this early, to me anyway, is a fan knee jerk response. Not a sign of being open minded. YMMV.

Very good point.

According to http://espn.go.com/b...to-past-success

The Patriots gained 200 of their 247 rushing yards between the tackles, the third-highest yardage total of any team since the start of the 2008 season.

It still doesn't explain away Mario Williams being neutralized one on one... did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, our REAL playmakers were being doubled and The Invisible Man offered ZERO help to take the heat off of them?

So you are declaring the Mario signing as wrong after 4 games and that is a sign of being open minded? I'd call it reactionary. Yawn.

Based on the evidence Nix had at the time, trying to sign Mario WAS the right thing to do. It may or may not work out, it is too soon to tell. Mario has certainly contributed next to nothing so far to be sure. But a bad signing stance this early, to me anyway, is a fan knee jerk response. Not a sign of being open minded. YMMV.

You may be right. I hope you are. I thought the "$100m mistake" thread was reactionary because it was his 1st game, only 1 game, and most who watched the film thought the DB's were just as much or more to blame.

We are now at the 1/4 point of the season and he's been a complete no-show in the exact spot we signed him for, the two biggest games we brought him in for, against mediocre at best Tackles. Maybe if he were an offensive player it'd be easier to buy the "he needs time to mesh in a new scheme/teammates" - for defenders I think that's mostly hot air football jargon. I guess we'll see.

Wade Phillips who is a defensive genius, moved Mario to the OLB position for a reason....

Wanny abandoned stopping the run by playing Scott at LB. they were gaining most of their yards on the ground between the tackles.....where were the LB's ??

our LB's as a group suck...ALL of them !!

as a defensive philosophy you have to pick you poison.....i would rather commit to stopping the run and pressuring the QB with 5 guys coming (4 D-lineman and Mario as OLB).....and then take my chances letting them beat us through the air, hopefully with less time to throw than the usual pressure our current 4 guys are getting. you just cant give top QB's more than 3 seconds to throw.

Very good point.

According to http://espn.go.com/b...to-past-success

Agreed - from what I am seeing they have been using Mario and Anderson in contain roles more than run stoppers. Mario has been starting way out wide and typically rushing outside. I think they are using him like this to take pressure of the young CBs on run defense and the weak OLBs we have. It's not like we have Antoine Winfield outside anymore where our DBs are making plays in the backfield. He's not making plays, but he's not exactly missing his assignments either.

The problem with this system is exactly what the patriots exposed us on. We need LBs to step up and fill the holes in the middle if it is 3OL versus our 2 DT if we keep running the defense the way we are. If we keep playing the whole game in Nickel and Dime coverage they have those 5-10 yard runs available and the 8-12 yard pass wide open. The Patriots adjusted and we didn't...

Wade Phillips who is a defensive genius, moved Mario to the OLB position for a reason....

Wanny abandoned stopping the run by playing Scott at LB. they were gaining most of their yards on the ground between the tackles.....where were the LB's ??

our LB's as a group suck...ALL of them !!

as a defensive philosophy you have to pick you poison.....i would rather commit to stopping the run and pressuring the QB with 5 guys coming (4 D-lineman and Mario as OLB).....and then take my chances letting them beat us through the air, hopefully with less time to throw than the usual pressure our current 4 guys are getting. you just cant give top QB's more than 3 seconds to throw.

yea he moved him to OLB because he runs a 34 defense. would you like to switch back? because he sure as hell isnt a 43 OLB.

or are you just proposing we run a 5-2 base?

all this talk about mario in houston is crazy...........He was lights out awesome for a long period of time......Now IMO he looks slow and uninspired.........keep cashing those checks big boy......

Read comments from some former teammates, or just look at how the Houston D has played since his injury last season (I know he was playing 'out of position' in Wade's 3-4) they haven't skipped a beat.

You may be right. I hope you are. I thought the "$100m mistake" thread was reactionary because it was his 1st game, only 1 game, and most who watched the film thought the DB's were just as much or more to blame.

We are now at the 1/4 point of the season and he's been a complete no-show in the exact spot we signed him for, the two biggest games we brought him in for, against mediocre at best Tackles. Maybe if he were an offensive player it'd be easier to buy the "he needs time to mesh in a new scheme/teammates" - for defenders I think that's mostly hot air football jargon. I guess we'll see.

I hope he works out as well as I'm sure all Bills fans do. I agree with you that AFCE games are far too important for him to be M.I.A. and it is extremely disheartening. I don't buy the time to mesh excuse either for DL. But unless some team is willing to give up someone of his potential in a trade I can't see any other course than letting him play and hope he works out of it.

He was never an elite pass rusher...I cant ever remember seeing highlights of him , or hearing anything about him from Houston-they are doing just fine without him the past two seasons. He has 7 tackles this season and 1 sack thru four games...At seasons end he will have 28 tackles and 4 sacks if he stays at this pace!

In 2009 he had 9 sacks, in 2010 he had 8 sacks, last year he had 5...Does that seem like an elite pass rusher?

We needed to make a splash this off-season-but we got bamboozled. This guy aint Reggie White-He is no leader, he has no mean streak- simply put the guy is sub par.

I hope somebody does that video analysis again.

I don't think our ends (Anderson and Williams) were blitzing the quarterback much.

The malfunctioning defense is not on the players. It's on the strategy.

If you brought Williams and Anderson in to rush the quarterback, let them do that. Blitz with abandon.

It's not just the Bills that tend to leash their pass rushers. The Giants did it last night and the Ravens did it against the Pats. They have their most formidable pass rushers doing contain on the edges.

I hope somebody does that video analysis again.

I don't think our ends (Anderson and Williams) were blitzing the quarterback much.

The malfunctioning defense is not on the players. It's on the strategy.

If you brought Williams and Anderson in to rush the quarterback, let them do that. Blitz with abandon.

It's not just the Bills that tend to leash their pass rushers. The Giants did it last night and the Ravens did it against the Pats. They have their most formidable pass rushers doing contain on the edges.

Once again, Bruce Smith didn't need a blitz to sack the quarterback. Great playmakers make plays, and all we have from Mario Williams is excuses. Quit making excuses for him and realize what we are not getting for our investment. Aaron Schobel gave us much more than this guy with far less talent around him.

Edited by BmoreBills

It may or may not work out, it is too soon to tell. Mario has certainly contributed next to nothing so far to be sure. But a bad signing stance this early, to me anyway, is a fan knee jerk response. Not a sign of being open minded. YMMV.

You're right... let's wait until we go 5-11 with a below average defense and the season is over with before we relegate MW to bust status, because lord knows the great and almighty offensive lines of Kansas City and Cleveland were Pro Bowl caliber and that really made it difficult on the poor guy.