Special Treat For Those Coming to the SF Game

Chef Jim

You'll be here for Fleet Week. Blue Angles will be flying all over the city on Thursday and Friday practicing and they will have shows on Saturday and Sunday. Get your butts into the city on Saturday to check it out. It is so cool to see and hear them flying through the city. Also there will be several Navy and Coast Guard ships docked throughout the city with a parade of ships on Saturday.

http://www.fleetweek.us/index.html

You'll be here for Fleet Week. Blue Angles will be flying all over the city on Thursday and Friday practicing and they will have shows on Saturday and Sunday. Get your butts into the city on Saturday to check it out. It is so cool to see and hear them flying through the city. Also there will be several Navy and Coast Guard ships docked throughout the city with a parade of ships on Saturday.

Sounds fun. Just one question though: are the Blue Angles as good as the Blue Angels?

Also, one of the premier music festivals in the United States will be taking place in Golden Gate Park that weekend.

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/

It's free and really captures the post-sixties vibe of the city. There'll be incredible music played at beautiful stages throughout the park, excellent concessions, and the warm, liberal, open, accepting spirit, which still defines San Francisco today.

I strongly suggest a trip to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass on the Friday or Saturday before the game.

Sounds fun. Just one question though: are the Blue Angles as good as the Blue Angels?

Better! :doh:

Also, one of the premier music festivals in the United States will be taking place in Golden Gate Park that weekend.

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival: http://www.hardlystr...ybluegrass.com/

It's free and really captures the post-sixties vibe of the city. There'll be incredible music played at beautiful stages throughout the park, excellent concessions, and the warm, liberal, open, accepting spirit, which still defines San Francisco today.

I strongly suggest a trip to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass on the Friday or Saturday before the game.

Hardly Strictly is the same weekend as Fleet Week? WTF were they thinking? Glad I don't live in the city anymore.

Anyways, you have hawks and doves on the same weekend (or as Hardly Strictly headliner Emmylou Harris would say, "Blackhawk and the White-winged Dove.")

Kind of a strange mix… the post hippies and the military and military-philes.

It's gonna be a great weekend regardless.

People B word all the time in SF about the gratuitous flaunting of military might. Watched the show last year from the observation tower in the Transamerica Pyramid. It was fun but you really need to be outdoors. The sound is the best part.

Better! :doh:

Hardly Strictly is the same weekend as Fleet Week? WTF were they thinking? Glad I don't live in the city anymore.

There is an America's cup boat race that weekend too.

They're supposed to have some spectacularly close viewing areas.

They're have already been articles in the SF paper saying don't think about driving car that weekend, plan your public transport because its going to be crazy.

My dad and I will be flying in for the game. Couple of quick questions--

1. Do I need to rent a car? I was thinking not, as I recall SF having pretty good public transit/cabs and bad parking situation. My estimate is I'd need to spend $500 for a car ($300 for rental plus $50 a night parking plus gas, tolls, parking);

2. Linked to number 1. Are:

A. Am thinking of catching the Stanford or Cal game on Saturday. Looks like Caltran runs to Palo Alto and we're about a mile from the Caltran station in SF. BART goes to Berkely I believe (or it did when I lived there 20 years ago.) Is that easy to do? Are there problems getting tickets to those games?; and

B. In terms of the Bills game, same question--can one get to the stadium via public transit?

Muchas gracias for the info--looking forward to the trip (and hopefully a W to go with the one tomorrow!)

I live just west of Miramar and see them fly over my house every Oct 14, 15 and 16. It's amazing I can see the pilots faces when they loop over my house. back in the day windows got busted from the power wash of the jet engines. The noise is so loud, my dogs completely freak out and don't know what to do.

1. Do I need to rent a car? I was thinking not, as I recall SF having pretty good public transit/cabs and bad parking situation. My estimate is I'd need to spend $500 for a car ($300 for rental plus $50 a night parking plus gas, tolls, parking);

A. Am thinking of catching the Stanford or Cal game on Saturday. Looks like Caltran runs to Palo Alto and we're about a mile from the Caltran station in SF. BART goes to Berkely I believe (or it did when I lived there 20 years ago.) Is that easy to do? Are there problems getting tickets to those games?; and

B. In terms of the Bills game, same question--can one get to the stadium via public transit?

Muchas gracias for the info--looking forward to the trip (and hopefully a W to go with the one tomorrow!)

The whole weekend is going to be a cluster f^&K. Blue angels, Bluegrass festival in GG Park, America's Cup sailing event. Where are you staying? It's possible to get to Candlestick via muni, our bus system. As for college games, stanford is the better option w/ Caltrain stoppingsomewhat near the stadium. Cal is much tougher, and forget driving there.

There is an America's cup boat race that weekend too.

They're supposed to have some spectacularly close viewing areas.

They're have already been articles in the SF paper saying don't think about driving car that weekend, plan your public transport because its going to be crazy.

Ok crap I forgot about that. I was watching the trials on TV the other day. They are very close to the shore along Crissy Field and Fort Mason. I'm not sure I like the small course the boats race on. And I'm a monohull guy myself.

But what the hell were they thinking? Fleet Week, Hardly Strictly (which draws 750,000), America's Cup trials and the world famous Bills in town all in the same weekend. And I will view it all from afar in the hills over the east bay.

Ok crap I forgot about that. I was watching the trials on TV the other day. They are very close to the shore along Crissy Field and Fort Mason. I'm not sure I like the small course the boats race on. And I'm a monohull guy myself.

But what the hell were they thinking? Fleet Week, Hardly Strictly (which draws 750,000), America's Cup trials and the world famous Bills in town all in the same weekend. And I will view it all from afar in the hills over the east bay.

For each event, if you're there it should be incredible. I'm lucky enough to be on a boat in the Bay to watch the Blue Angels, or Angles, & the sailing event. I just want to warn out of towners what my fair cith could be like next weekend. I want all visitors to be here & spending lots of $$$$$

Thanks Chef

Though I agree w the other post that Stanford will be easier to get to, it's easy to get to Cal via BART (I say while on my way back from the Cal game). But 1) Stanford has the better team, 2) it is easier to get to, and 3) Cal has homecoming vs UCLA next weekend so it'll be both packed and more pricey than usual.

As far as the car rental - totally depends on where you stay. I have friends in from out of town and we're avoiding the city like the plague. My personal recommendation if you plan to go to the Stanford game is to stay near CalTrain and then you can take transit from SFO and to the game. And there are lots if cool shops/restaurants/bars in downtown Palo Alto and Menlo Park near Stanford.

30 posts and no one asked if this was advice?

The whole weekend is going to be a cluster f^&K. Blue angels, Bluegrass festival in GG Park, America's Cup sailing event. Where are you staying? It's possible to get to Candlestick via muni, our bus system. As for college games, stanford is the better option w/ Caltrain stoppingsomewhat near the stadium. Cal is much tougher, and forget driving there.

Many thanks--we're staying at the Westin near Market Street/downtown. It looked like the Caltrain station was about a mile away. For the Bills game we're meeting some WNY HS buddies and one of my law school roommates and his kids, so I suspect we'll be able to bum a ride. In terms of Stanford, is it easy to get tix? Looked like it from Stubhub, but I'd rather buy them there if possible.

From the Westin, it's a block west or east to the busses that take you to the Caltrain Station.If you want to see Cal, you are less than ablock from the Montgomery or Powell BART stations on Market. The Richmond (red) line runs every 20 minutes on Saturdays and goes across the bay to the Downtown Berkeley station which is a block or two from the campus entrance,. The newly renovated 100 year old stadium is on the other side of the campus.

People B word all the time in SF about the gratuitous flaunting of military might. Watched the show last year from the observation tower in the Transamerica Pyramid. It was fun but you really need to be outdoors. The sound is the best part.

Can I see it from Coitus Tower or will I be distracted?

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival: http://www.hardlystr...ybluegrass.com/

What a festival! I think if i were going i might skip the game and watch del mccourey.