Chris Johnson's Decline

400 carries a season is insane. I think Larry Johnson was the last one to do it and he fell off a cliff after. He had two great years and then he couldn't stay healthy. Two backs and keep the carries between 250-300 tops and he can have a pretty decent career.

Here's a rundown:

http://www.footballdocs.com/running_back_carries.html

If he's not Eric Dickerson, his career was predictably on the downslope. Hence the holdout. It was very likely he'd never play like that again.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't follow CJ and the Titans that closely.

What jumps out at me is that he's listed at 5'11" and 191 pounds and that since his 438 touch season in 2009, his yards per carry has been diminishing (5.6 to 4.3 to 4.0 to 1.4).

Is it possible that in his 5th season with 1423 career touches from scrimmage and 66 career kick returns that they guy's body is just done?

Some guys have short careers and it doesn't help when you're undersized for your position either.

That's certainly possible. Look how good Larry Johnson was for a few years before the heavy workload caught up to him.

his line blows has a bunch to do with it

its 100 % the problem, I posted this stat already but I will again

going into last week CJ had 29 yards rushing total, and out of those 29 yards rushing, 27 came AFTER CONTACT, that means hes being hit in the back field EVERY SINGLE RUN PLAY....THATS why he has sucked...period

And another factor could be that after signing his huge contract last year which makes him the highest-paid running back in the NFL (4 years, $53.5 million, $30 million guaranteed) that he has simply lost his motivation.

You got it. He's the offensive answer to albert haynesworth.

New offensive coordinator. He's struggled since then. Coaching matters.

Very true IMO

Mostly his old head coach Jeff Fisher built a top O line and directed a run first offensive scheme no matter who his OC was. I know most of you don't believe stuff like this, but this very thing also applies to QB's.

Vince Young was in a very QB protected system that ran the ball to set up the pass, Kinda why he looked decent in one system, and looked like crap in Chan Gaily's. Plus a strong running game with a top defense it made the Titans a very good balanced team.

Teams that play the Titans are now geared to focus on one thing, stopping CJ2k! Not to mention no other RB on the team is able to do much either. Tenn is dead last in offensive rushing.

OTOH, some would argue he got paid :lol:

Very true IMO

Mostly his old head coach Jeff Fisher built a top O line and directed a run first offensive scheme no matter who his OC was. I know most of you don't believe stuff like this, but this very thing also applies to QB's.

Vince Young was in a very QB protected system that ran the ball to set up the pass, Kinda why he looked decent in one system, and looked like crap in Chan Gaily's. Plus a strong running game with a top defense it made the Titans a very good balanced team.

Teams that play the Titans are now geared to focus on one thing, stopping CJ2k! Not to mention no other RB on the team is able to do much either. Tenn is dead last in offensive rushing.

OTOH, some would argue he got paid :lol:

When comparing to his backup, keep in mind ringers been hurt I believe.

I don't think he got lazy as much as the lines been challenges and his body is not what it once was. With that many touches, the obvious prediction was a brick wall was near. Now in hindsight he's hit it would be the obvious answer.

Even behind a bad line, in a new scheme....he shouldn't go from 2k to -13 (I know exaggerated). I think the 408 touches in one season might be a bigger factor than most want to consider, especially with 360 touches immediately on its heels. No one comes back from that in the nfl. He'd be literally a once in several generations physical freak.

Edited by NoSaint

Let me start out by saying, I cant stand all the witch hunts for steroids in sports. There are several that just seem ridiculous (see Derek Jeter, etc, etc, etc). However, I have a very strong suspicion that Chris Johnson was a steriod user. There are several kinds of steriods, and not all of them will make you 350 lbs. with muscles shooting out of your neck.

I just want to know, how can you go from one of the most historical rushing seasons EVER, to 33 caries for 45 yards?!?! Anyone else thinking this way?

Longest run of the year for him is 13 yards?!?! HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?

it's easy, super fast guy gets injured then super fast guy is not fast anymore so now he sucks. He was never a big guy so he doesn't have this to fall back on.

And pulling the steroid card is BS unless you have some real evidence.

Makes you wonder what's gonna happen to CJ when his contract rolls around doesn't it? He's gonna expect probably something very similar. My guess is that he's a little more grounded and hopefully we get the "I love Buffalo and it's fans" type of attitude and he is humbled a bit to not want $50m. But my guess is he's gonna make around the 30-40m range over 5-6 years if he stays with us. Hate to say this, but if the Bills dint plan on resigning him when he's up, they should trade him a year early, or at least franchise him to get something for him. But honestly, Freddy will be gone by then and CJ will be the star of not only the team but possibly the league and I hope we keep him.

On another note, it shows you made this post at 7:33am eastern time, what the hell are you doing up at 4:33am?

Im a night owl. Usually up playing guitar, when my hands get tired i take a break and check up on TBD.

Someone is just mad their fantasy team sucks

I should have headed this one off in the beginning, but no i was smart enough to dodge CJ2k. Its just so hard to believe that his stats are leaning THAT much on the OL. Obviously, a good OL can boost your #'s or hurt them, but it just seems insane to fall that hard that young.