"They won't lose three in a row" -- anyone else sick of he

eball

Since when did such a statement become a legitimate analytic for predicting the result of a football game?

I'm really looking forward to next week, when we'll hear all of the analysts say, "there's no way they'll lose FOUR in a row."

GO BILLS!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't put much stock in that kind of thing. It's like a coin toss; each toss is not affected by the previous. However, desperation can build up with successive losses, I just don't see it as a reason the Bills cannot win...

its not the same as a coin toss, as psychology and such play a role here.

they could just as easily crumble under the pressure this week, but the guess is with a coach and QB like they have - we will be getting their "A game"

we can win against that, but if i had a choice it would be convenient to get them playing a little flat and not focused on a "must win" (even though they have lost the two biggest must win games of the last few years - ie Superbowls)

My point is this -- whether the Pats* lost the last two weeks or not has no bearing on their odds of winning this week. None. It is a fact they haven't lost three in a row since 2003 -- an irrelevant fact.

The Pats* had not been under .500 in a season since the opener in 2002. Yet here we are, and the Pats* are under .500.

It would be nice to hear analysts talk about WHY the Pats* lost two weeks in a row -- you might find some actual insight that their OL isn't very good, they've had to keep Gronk in to block, and their defense didn't play very well last Sunday night.

I think some of the "can't lose 3" stuff is because the Pats shouldn't be caught napping this year.

The first game last year Marcia looked like she had never even played the game before.

Then in the second game the pats* rattled off something stupid like 48 straight points.

At 1-2 and having lost the last 2, most people suspect the pats* won't be sleeping Sunday.

I give the Bills an outside chance if everything goes perfectly, no mistakes by the Bills (particularly Fitz) and several big ones by the pats*, and the Bills D knocking Marcia down on every play.

But otherwise the pats* are still more talented than the Bills in my opinion, and there should be no gift game from Marcia this time around.

Edited by CodeMonkey

My point is this -- whether the Pats* lost the last two weeks or not has no bearing on their odds of winning this week. None. It is a fact they haven't lost three in a row since 2003 -- an irrelevant fact.

The Pats* had not been under .500 in a season since the opener in 2002. Yet here we are, and the Pats* are under .500.

It would be nice to hear analysts talk about WHY the Pats* lost two weeks in a row -- you might find some actual insight that their OL isn't very good, they've had to keep Gronk in to block, and their defense didn't play very well last Sunday night.

i disagree with the assessment that a losing streak and how a team handles that pressure plays no role in the next game.

its not the closed case that some announcers make it sound like but this isnt just random variables that are independant like a coin flip. these are men - and the past effects the future, but its also hard to predict how it will.

Dumbest reason ever for a team not to lose three in a row is because "they never lose three in a row." This idea of a team being more focused and determined after two losses is a myth that only exists in the minds of fans and pundits who don't know any better.

If anything, a team starts to press more when things don't go well early in these "backs against the wall" kind of games. I can see the whole thing unraveling for NE early on if Brady gets rattled at all. Tall order and Brady's history suggests it's improbable but I think that's more plausible than the idea that they're gonna be "extra" pumped and "extra" focused simply because they lost two in a row.

GO BILLS!!!

They are not the same team they once were. The vets that knew how to win and did not accept losing are gone. The ones that knew what they had to do, the ones that were the leaders are all gone. This team might not have much confidence because of losing two in a row and could just as easily crap the bed worrying about losing the game versus focus on winning it. This is a non factor for this game because it will be countered by both sides of that argument. So many want to win it, so many are not sure they can, and so many just do not know.

The Bills must be relentless to break their spirits. The 12th man must be loud, in charge and strong.

I'm tired of it, though I understand why people say it. And if the Bills do manage to beat them, prepare to hear the exclusive reaction being, "What's wrong with the Patriots?"

at 1-3 that would be a fair question to ask. last year they went 13-3 and were in the superbowl. to be 1-3 to close the opening quarter would be a major discussion point.

thats not a slap in buffalos face

I'm tired of it, though I understand why people say it. And if the Bills do manage to beat them, prepare to hear the exclusive reaction being, "What's wrong with the Patriots?"

exactly, WHEN we beat the Pats, it'll be more about what's wrong with the Pats than what's right with the Bills.